Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug URP shaders rendering pink / magenta in Oculus Quest build after upgrading to 2019.4 LTS

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by DanjelRicci, Sep 9, 2020.

1. DanjelRicci

DanjelRicci

I have a 2019.3.0 URP project targeting Oculus Quest working without any issues. After updating to 2019.4.9 (also tried with 2019.4.8) and touching no settings at all, every single shader in the Quest build is totally pink including the Made With Unity splash, literally a full pink screen, while the game still works and reacts to my inputs. Everything looks fine in the Unity editor though. I've been trying to find a solution to this isse for some time, but I still got nothing.

I would really love to switch to a LTS release for the sake of bug fixing and support, but I'm stuck with 2019.3.0, the one and only version that seems to break nothing in terms of plain functionality.

Using XR Plugin Management 3.2.13, Oculus XR Plugin 1.4.3 and official Oculus Plugin 20.0 (this one even before updating to 2019.4 LTS).

EDIT: I updated from URP 7.3.1 to 7.4.3 and it asked me to update the shaders too, which I did- but these are still pink on Quest.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    rlalancette and johnpccd like this.
  2. ThomasZeng

ThomasZeng

Unity Technologies

Hello @DanjelRicci
    Thanks for letting us know.
    Could you please send us a bug with a repro case so that we can look into? Thanks!
    Also did you change URP version when updating from 19.3 to 19.4?

3. daves

daves

Unity Technologies

Hi Danjel,

Are there any clues in the Unity Editor log? That sounds very much like a shader compilation issue, and there should be some error reported somewhere.

4. DanjelRicci

DanjelRicci

Well, the issue kinda disappeared on its own after I spent some time doing almost random stuff.
    What I think solved the issue was the consequence of a number of things aligning up, but I don't know exactly at what point the issue disappeared. Basically after some time fiddling with settings and plugins, I made yet another build to test if a plugin compiled, and then everything just worked.

Here it is a more or less generic list of things I did:
    - Backup project, update from 2019.3.0 to 2019.4.8 (URP updated too, but I got no messages of sort)
    - Build, get the broken shader issue
    - Update to 2019.4.9, also upgrade the Oculus plugin
    - Compile, get broken shaders again
    - Tried changing some Pipeline Asset options like AA, shadows, etc
    - Build again, issue still there
    - Gave up with fixing, got a couple of URP assets from the Asset Store to use in the future, Fast Sharpen and Fast Motion Blur
    - Spent some time fiddling with URP and the new assets
    - Upgraded URP from 7.3.1 to 7.4.3, this time I got an upgrade message, I followed it
    - Compile again, issue still there
    - Fiddle again with the bought assets
    - Restart Unity, can't remember the reason
    - Build again... Now it works.
    - More tests, more builds, all good finally.

At some point during this all I also tried to delete the Oculus XR integration, then added it all again.
    I attached the last logs, hope they contain some useful info, at this point I'm quite sure I missed some important message along the process.

EDIT: Ah, I almost forgot! Not really related but maybe of interest: I've been getting low performance in the build done with 2019.3.0 for the last month or two, basically from 72 to 30 fps and less when various non-static objects were on screen. I tried optimizing literally everything I had in the project, but it didn't go back to the smoothness it had before, couldn't find what I changed that degraded performance so much.
    After upgrading to 2019.4.9, everything returned smooth as before (and then some more thanks for the further optimizations I did in the meantime).
    I love you Unity, but at times you are puzzling!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  5. ThomasZeng

ThomasZeng

Unity Technologies

I'm glad to hear the issue is no longer blocking you @DanjelRicci !
    And thanks for the log file, they are useful for us! We plan to dig this log on our end and also ask our QA to try to repro the issue.
    From the steps you described, sounds like during the upgrade process, something bad happened about the shader cache. And I suspect at some point the old cache is removed and forced a shader recompile. We will look into this more.

Regarding the perf issue you mentioned, that sounds to me something around vsync. If it ever happened again, feel free to log a bug with repro project so that we can take a look!

Thank you and have a great day!

johnpccd and DanjelRicci like this.
  6. DanjelRicci

DanjelRicci

This seems a very plausible case for what happened.

Interesting, as far as I remember, vsync is automatically enabled for mobile devices so I always though that changing it did nothing for Quest. In fact I changed it a bunch of times but I don't recall performance being different... At the moment for 2019.4.9 is set to Don't Sync and things are super smooth.

Thanks a lot anyways! Have a great day too, you and the team. :)

7. Adrien_Triangles

Adrien_Triangles

Hi! I am experiencing about the same and not finding my solution :s
    All pink in game, alright in the editor, I did the material upgrade etc. already.
    Just like you just switched and updated to 4.31 URP. Unity 2019.4.8

8. DanjelRicci

DanjelRicci

Considering what happened I'd try to delete the shader cache to force a recompile, just like ThomasZeng suggested. It's located in [project root]/Library/ShaderCache.

9. Adrien_Triangles

Adrien_Triangles

So after fooling around for a while as well I got things running.
    Thanks for sharing though it kept me motivated when last minute F***up happens :p

DanjelRicci likes this.
  10. johnpccd

johnpccd

+1

I also noticed inconsistent shader output (same code different builds)

11. Chris_Payne_QS

Chris_Payne_QS

I have a similar issue on 2019.4.9 and URP 7.4.3
    New desktop machine, fresh checkout of project - standalone build is missing half the shaders. Editor is fine. Same checkout on my old laptop is fine in both editor and standalone. Deleting shader cache makes no difference, the missing shaders are consistent but not sure what the pattern is. Shader Forge and speedtree ones are missing, but URP Lit, terrain shaders and at least one custom hand-coded one are present.

[EDIT, SOLVED: I had an overzealous shader stripper plugin that I had added to the project long, long ago and forgotten about. Leaving spurious complaint here for posterity ;) ]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  12. TheVirtualMunk

TheVirtualMunk

For anyone else experiencing this issue, I met the same issue while trying out the new OVR Manager feature "skip unneeded shaders". Even though this was applied on a component in another scene that wasn't even in the build, and that I had completely forgotten about, it still has project wide application, so make sure you disable it!

13. Matiasbru

Matiasbru

This solved my problem! thanks!

More info here:
    https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/unity/unity-strip-shaders/

unnanego likes this.
  14. SugarSores

SugarSores

YOO! This was it!! Thanks, bud :D

15. matthoadrobson

matthoadrobson

I'm completely stuck with this it seems impossible to get it to build without the entire screen being pink! We also went from standard to URP. It plays fine in the editor.

I've tried:

Deleting the shader cache
    Adding a bunch of shaders to the always include list
    Adding more shaders to the preloaded shaders list
    Turned off skip unneeded shaders in both OVRManager and the Unity settings

Any other suggestions? Mighty stuck!

M

16. sandstedt

sandstedt

@matthoadrobson Did you solve it? I had checked the "skip unneeded shaders" in the OVRCameraRig prefab that had the script OVRManger on it. Unchecking it fixed my problem. So make sure, as TheVirtualMunk said, you don't have any OVR Manager script somewhere else in you project.

upload_2021-3-7_14-8-41.png

Gabriel_Albyon likes this.
  17. gmgannon

gmgannon

Had same issue here using 2020.3.1f1 with URP 10.3.2. Looked fine when running in editor, pink on device (quest 1.) Deleted shader cache, unchecked "skip unneeded shaders" from OVRManger. All seems to be working now, apk on device looks as expected.

18. CristinaMiru

CristinaMiru

OMG @sandstedt YO ARE AWESOME. I have been trying to solve this problem for two days. At first the screen was black and if I removed the postprocess it was all pink. Removing that option everything works perfect. THANK YOU SO MUCH

Mu Unity: 2019.4.18f1 with URP

sandstedt likes this.
  19. TimZech

TimZech

@sandstedt Thank you so much! I spent the last two days just trying to get my fresh URP build running and this was the solution for me!

sandstedt likes this.
  20. dboursiquot876

dboursiquot876

I also had the same issue using the Custom Hands prefab from the Oculus Integreaton package. What seemed to be the problem was that all the textures were using the Standard shader right from the package and since I was using the URP template the textures didn't appear until I went to change to Universal Render Pipeline / Lit shader. Screenshot (10).png

rlalancette likes this.
  21. sandstedt

sandstedt

Yeah there is so many reasons a material goes pink. This other day I was playing around with the "Always included shaders" in the Graphics settings, when suddenly everything went pink. After a lot of debugging, in the end i noticed that I for some reason didn't have a scriptable render pipeline Settings-file reference in the Graphics settings for some reason.

upload_2021-11-24_19-41-55.png

Dominik-L, xCraftRayX and rlalancette like this.
  22. rlalancette

rlalancette

Thank you sir! That fixed it!

23. PanderaStudios

PanderaStudios

Thank you very, very much man!

Unbelievable that I've been suffering for more than a week because of a check-box.

Thanks

24. TheVirtualMunk

TheVirtualMunk

Happy to help! It's honestly the worst coding practice I've ever seen - also took me a couple of days to figure out. Very hard to imagine someone thinking this was a good way to implement a project wide feature o_O:confused:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  25. weiner_monkey

weiner_monkey

Have this same issue after switching from Vulkan to OpenGL (2021.3.9, URP 12.7), Skip unneeded shaders is disabled and as a good measure I've hard-coded it to false. Ive tried deleting the library folder as well. No shader is compiled (including splashscreen) and RenderDoc shows all shaders as Hidden/InternalErrorShader. If I change from Multiview -> Multipass, everything is pink meaning no shaders are compiled. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

EDIT:
    Project was using https://github.com/SixWays/UnityShaderStripper, which seemed to be causing the issue

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  26. Strogman

Strogman

I understand that you had to make a fixed involving ShaderStripper. We are using the same, and getting all pink textures. But we find that ShaderStipper really improves compile times. What did you do to make it work? Simple disable ShaderStripper entirely?

27. xrdevrob

xrdevrob

Thank you so much man, you just saved me from going insane. I just checked it because I'm so used to it and Meta even recommends it. I would have never guessed it could be that. Thank you!

28. DeLong

DeLong

Thank you for this post. It turned panic into peace. lol.

I just ran into this dreaded problem using 2021.3.35f1 with the All-In-One SDK after I switched my working project to URP (as recommended by Meta).

In case this helps someone else, I did two things before creating a new test build - one of which fixed the problem:

1) I shut down Unity and deleted the ShaderCache folder under the Library folder. Then restarted Unity.
    2) I then uncheck "Skip Unneeded Shaders" in the inspector under the Build Settings tab on the OVR Manager script component as another post suggested.

This worked. However, it bothered me not knowing which method helped, so after I confirmed the pink objects were fixed, I went back and re-checked "Skip Unneeded Shaders" and did another build. The second build was still showing the proper textures - no pink. So, at least in my case, deleting the ShaderCache folder seems to have worked for me.

[Update] Immediately after posting this I couldn't leave well enough alone and started messing with the Project Settings -> Graphics and dropped a Ultra High Render Pipeline scriptable render asset into the "Scriptable Render Pipeline Settings". Created a new build and the pink came back. So, I deleted said asset from the "Scriptable Render Pipeline Settings" and this did not fix the problem. It somehow screwed up the build process. I had to delete the ShaderCache folder a second time to recover.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024 at 4:28 AM
    DanjelRicci likes this.