Search Unity

URP - Realistic Physical sun/sky/cam exposure for single room

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by newguy123, Jan 4, 2020.

1. newguy123

newguy123

I have a very simple room:
    upload_2020-1-4_13-16-53.png

Default directional light and default skybox, default camera

The scene above is after a light bake. I would expect the interior to be much brighter, with the sky outside the window to be slightly brighter (but not blown out)

With some URP built in post effects:
    upload_2020-1-4_13-21-13.png

.....I get this:
    upload_2020-1-4_13-21-34.png

Even though it's a bit better than the 1st image, it's nowhere near what I would expect it to look like. Notice a lot of banding and general poor quality lighting. My initial thoughts are that most of this is because the default settings for the lights, camera and skybox, is not of a physically correct nature, and we dont yet have that in Unity.

So in an attempt to fake the physical properties of these, what would you suggest I change here? Perhaps change the Directional Light intesity to 100 as a start? But then, would the indirect multiplier also need adjusting? What about the skybox and camera, how can I get those more physical also?

boxhammer likes this.
  2. hertz-rat

hertz-rat

Also curious if anybody has any ideas

3. newguy123

newguy123

No answer yet, so just bumping this post....

boxhammer likes this.
  4. newguy123

newguy123

Nobody else needs physical properties in URP?

5. xgonzal2

xgonzal2

URP doesn't have a concept of physically accurate camera properties or physical light properties like Lux. You really do need both to get more correct lighting. Some form of auto exposure also helps which is also missing in URP. Bottom line is I think you'll have an incredibly tough time trying to get what you seem to want out of URP at the moment.

All the features you need are in HDRP, I think, so that may be a better choice if it supports the platforms you require.

newguy123 and 946929203 like this.
  6. 946929203

I think Physical Light is a very important function to the art pipeline, if I can't use the right light how can I make the right material look right

newguy123 likes this.
  7. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

At Unreal Engine you have nothing physical for indirect light baking
    But the rendering result is great
    Because there is a simple way of using spotlights to transmit light from outside to inside:

This video may help you to learn how to use spot light to transmit light from outside to inside :

This is for HDRP: