Search Unity

Question URP Profiling/optimization?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Allan-MacDonald, May 12, 2023.

1. Allan-MacDonald

Allan-MacDonald

Is there any sort of definitive doc that talks about the differences between BRP and URP in terms of draw-calls and batching, how workflows for optimizations and tracking this over time changes with URP?

I was just trying out unity's decal projector in URP and the stats window actually displays the batches/saved batches accurately, duplicated cubes on the other hand don't seem to get any saved batches in SRP as you would see with BRP's GPU instanced material options, or dynamic batching.

I've read that URP handles drawcalls and batching differently than BRP, but it's spotty second hand information.

I feel a bit like there's a lack of education/clarity on this? Maybe I just missed some important docs, where do I read more about this so I can feel more confident using URP. This is the main thing preventing me from upgrading at the moment, there's a lot of great things I see in URP now and the stability seems acceptable, it just feels a bit opaque atm in terms of managing costs of 3D art content.

One of the docs shared with me is this - https://docs.unity3d.com/2019.3/Documentation/Manual/SRPBatcher.html

However it doesn't translate that well into a general best practice set of guidelines for URP. Some rule of thumb, something like FPS is king, forget draw-calls, track the millisecond costs via the profiler, minimizing batches through the frame debugger is still relevant though, etc.

goncalo-vasconcelos likes this.
  2. Allan-MacDonald

Allan-MacDonald

Can delete, found URP forum

3. Allan-MacDonald

Allan-MacDonald