Search Unity

URP post processing not showing

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Radu392, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Radu392

Radu392

So I'm on Unity 2019.3b and the built in URP post processing is not doing anything

This is the default URP project with no modifications. 'Render Post-processing' is enabled on the camera. Any idea what's wrong?

Carrotpie likes this.
  2. Olmi

Olmi

I think you should read the manual first.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c.../manual/integration-with-post-processing.html

You need to add a Volume script to an object, like your camera, make it's mode Global so that you can see it everywhere. Volume also needs a Profile, that's where your post-processing configuration is stored.

Then add at least one Override and adjust it's settings enough so that you see some changes appear in your image.

3. Radu392

Radu392

Please check the pictures above. I did all of that.

4. Olmi

Olmi

I don't see any volume in your screenshot.

You need this:
    URP_volume.PNG

EDIT: Ok, I didn't click your small image. There's a volume. Next time crop the appropriate area that requires attention.

Z0leee87, Carrotpie and danchart like this.
  5. Olmi

Olmi

And you have also created an URP asset and assigned it in the project settings?

6. Radu392

Radu392

Yep, as I said, it's just the default URP project made from the Unity hub.

Z0leee87, rlalancette and Carrotpie like this.
  7. michaelybecker

michaelybecker

for anyone else who is stumped by this, make sure your URP profile has the V2 feature set enabled. Apparently they're going to deprecate it on URP(?!) but for now it gets the job done with the usual setup, but defaults to "integrated".

Would be great to have more info on this documentation - feels like the PP stack keeps fundamentally changing, which is kind of frustrating.

upload_2020-4-19_18-17-50.png

gsun9liu, Bromm, Tcrakman and 6 others like this.
  8. Olmi

Olmi

@mhazani they put the PPS v2 compatibility back to URP 7.2 and it will be removed in 2020 if I remember correctly. And after that you only can then use the URP post-process... Hopefully then we will have ability to write custom post effects, and have some documentation too.

9. Carrotpie

Carrotpie

The URP won't work for me either. Doing everything tutorials say that have to be done, but none of the effects are showing anywhere (in-game or in scene). All this with just a camera and a volume with overrides.

10. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Do you get any errors in the console?

11. Nodrap

Nodrap

I too am having trouble getting the post processing working in my own scene. The SampleScene from a new URP project works, but when I go through the documentation and create a fresh scene they don't. If I pick the sample Volume profile too it doesn't work. I can't for the life of me work out the difference between the two scenes. Am using Unity 2019.3.10f1 and URP 7.3.1

My steps:
    Create a new scene, add a plane and a cube.
    Add a Global Volume
    Create a new Volume profile (using the New button in the Global Volume inspector)
    Add a vignette, make it red just to be certain and intensity of 1.
    No visual changes in editor and in play mode.

ARRRGH. Found the problem! There is a Post Processing flag hiding in the camera! Not documented in the post processing documentation and off by default. Grrr Unity!
    The Volume should have a warning box if no camera can show it or else loads of people will miss this too.

12. kimturley

kimturley

This wasn't working for me either. I got it working by setting the following options:
    1. Volume layer is default:
      Post-process Volume -> Layer - > Default

2. Volume mode is global:
      Post-process Volume -> Volume Mode -> Global

3. URP Settings post-processing is enabled:
      Project -> Assets -> UniversalRP-HighQuality -> Post-processing

4. Main Camera has post-processing enabled:
      Main Camera -> Rendering -> Post-processing

5. Main Camera volume mask is set to default:
      Main Camera -> Environment -> Volume Mask -> Default
    Note that the effect does not show in the Camera Preview. You have to go into Game mode to view it

13. M_R_M

M_R_M

Currently using the 2020.1 beta, none of this worked for me.

Putting the volume on the camera, putting it on an empty game object, a global volume game object, deleting the pipeline entirely and reinstalling it, deleting post-processing v2 package, deleting LWRP (and then of course having it reinstalled when I reinstall URP), deleting the camera and creating a new one, trying various layers, putting the GO and camera on the same layer, unchecking and checking post-processing in camera settings, creating a volume trigger, fixing any outstanding errors, and at least 6 other things.

Post-processing as far as I can see in my project is simply broken. I have to be missing something, but if I am it's nothing anyone has yet suggested anywhere that I can find.

14. LouHun

LouHun

environment tab.PNG Hi all,

I hope this helps - I was having the same problem! Turned out I clicked something under the environment rollout in the Inspector for the Camera.
    Scroll down to the bottom and rollout out the Environment tab. Make sure 'Volume Mask' is set to 'Everything' (or just the same layer as the PP volume object at least). Might help someone :)

15. morfevs

morfevs

Thanks KimTurley,

Main Camera has post-processing enabled:
    Main Camera -> Rendering -> Post-processing

That made it for me, it cam disabled.

16. M_R_M

M_R_M

Ok so I've had this issue for more than 3 months now, and after literally trying everything that has been suggested on the entirety of the English language internet and then some, I've found something that fixed this issue in my particular case.

I had no errors when opening the project or running it, but when I clicked on the PostProcessProfile in the project window it threw me an
    ASyncHTTPClient:Done(State, Int32)
    error, and using the fix here resolved the issue for me:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/req...itor-asynchttpclient-done-state-int32.459092/

For me, restarting after trying that solution wasn't enough, I had to also delete the PostProcessingProfile asset file, and then restart (Visual Studio included). Creating a new PostProcessingProfile via Volume in the inspector then worked as expected.

Not sure what the heck was going on, but if anyone else has a persistent issue with PP not working, this is something to give a shot if everything else has failed.

17. kasuyakema

kasuyakema

I solved it for me i guess.
    I assume the problem was that i tried using the hdrp in the same project earlier.
    The Volume Profile asset created by the Volume when i clicked new did not have the right format:

I used the Asset from the urp sample scene instead and it works fine, but newly added Overrides are still wrong.
    Guess i have to move everithing to a clean Project?

18. shidopitzel

shidopitzel

upload_2021-1-19_22-8-59.png upload_2021-1-19_22-9-19.png
    I am using urp for a vr project , And like you see here in the top one is a view of the game view
    and in the second one it is showing what the camera see in a camera preview
    Like this
    upload_2021-1-19_22-11-36.png
    Do you know how to fix Pleasee??

Attached Files:

jermesa_studio likes this.
  19. shidopitzel

shidopitzel

Ah and i forgot when i am playing it is not doing the post processing effect
    And this is too.....

20. shidopitzel

shidopitzel

21. sovtek

sovtek

Thank you for this, this really saved me. I was going crazy! Why can't they just design an "Add post processing volume"
    action that adds the volume, the settings and turns all this on? Unreal has this and its so much more simple.

22. Abercromby3

Abercromby3

Just in case anybody else ends up here in the future:

YOUR VIGNETTE CANNOT BE WHITE

The vignette effect seems to be a multiplier, not additive, so feeding in white as the colour simply has no effect.

23. JOBAHA

JOBAHA

For me it was a strange fix. Changed camera settings/environment background type from solid color to skybox, and after that it's been working for both cases.

24. atulvi

atulvi

URP Post-processing
    ——————————-
    1) Install URP package via package manager.
    [Post processing via package manager does not install. It’s not necessary. URP does not support PPv2]

2) Create Global Volume in hierarchy.
    [ex. create 3dobject > cube]
    —> Right click > volume > global volume
    —> click on new button[create volume profile]
    —> Add override > post processing > add any effect.
    [Must set in your URP rendering pipeline > Post processing > Featured Set : Integrated ]

3) How can enable post processing.
    —-> MainCamera > Rendering > post processing Tick in check box.

25. DJD1892

DJD1892

I was only getting a vignette in my scene view and not my game view. The post processing wasn't effecting anything on my canvas. To fix this, I had to change the render mode on my canvas to be "Screen Space- Camera", then dragged and dropped my camera in the slot, and now the post processing effects my canvas

26. kemstroarab

kemstroarab

cant find this any more
    —-> MainCamera > Rendering > post processing Tick in check box.[/QUOTE] in the newer version in unity

xpiredmemes likes this.
  27. niuage

niuage

For those having done everything here and still failing to see anything, make 100% sure that you played with the volume override settings enough... I had grain and vignette, and my settings were set in a way that was not making them visible. Kinda stupid, but yea.. double check.

28. Morhem

Morhem

After having a good time tearing my hair out for 4 hours: There is a "Post Processing" checkbox in your URP Data file.
    NOBODY mentioned it anywhere for some reason.

29. Kyung_Lee

Kyung_Lee

You just saved my life bro, thank you sooooooooo much !!!!!
    Where did you find the documentation about this?

FastestManAlive9 likes this.
  30. xDayhawk

xDayhawk

Amazing, THANK YOU!
    i actually had a post processing effect working, and after adding the URP to the project it stopped working.
    no matter what i did i couldn't fixed it, tried everything in this post.

eventually i find your comment, i removed the post processing stack via the package manager, did exactly what u said with creating a global volume, and it works like a charm.
    (marked the post processing checkbox in the main camera)

FastestManAlive9 likes this.
  31. tiwarisworup6

tiwarisworup6

There is no rendering setting in the camera can you tell me what is the problem

xpiredmemes likes this.
  32. atulvi

atulvi

in the newer version in unity[/QUOTE]

Please upgrade URP from package manager.[stable version of URP]

I Cheked Unity 2020.3.11f1(LTS) and URP 10.5.0 from Package Manger.

—-> MainCamera(any camera) > Rendering > post processing
    that option is see in Unity 2020.3.11f1(LTS) and URP 10.5.0.

Attached Files:

33. Daniels118

Daniels118

Hello, I faced the same issue and finally I get a solution. In my case the problem was I had installed HDRP package before and then switched to URP. After doing that all post processing effects I added to the profile were generated using the HDRP scripts instead of URP ones. I figured out this because:
    • if I import a profile from another URP project it worked, but adding other effects didn't;
    • when I added the Depth of Field effect the mode options were different from the ones of the URP effect.
    To solve the problem I have just removed the HDRP from the project using the package manager and then I've removed and added again all the post processing effects I needed. Of course you have to also check all other things mentioned in this forum, and keep in mind that some options could have been changed in the later version of Unity, so here are all things you have to do:
    1. make a backup copy of your project (this is always a good pratice);
    2. from package manager remove the HDRP and the Post processing packages (if you already have complex volumes and effects and you wish to copy their values then keep the post processing package, you could remove it later, but be careful with the next step);
    3. add an empty object and:
      1. assign it a proper layer (i.e. PostProcessing)
      2. attach a "Volume" component (don't confuse "Volume" with "post processing volume" which is the one from the legacy post processing package, it will show if you haven't removed the package in the prevus step);
      3. select mode "global" (or not, if you know what you are doing);
      4. create a new profile and add all effects you wish (don't forget to override the values or nothing will happen); it's very important to create a new profile, don't use any one created before removing the HDRP package;
    4. select your main camera and:
      1. remove any post processing layer;
      2. under "Rendering" select "Post Processing";
      3. under "Environment" change the "Volume mask" to a proper set which must contain at least the layer of the volume object (i.e. PostProcessing).
    Of course if you already have local "post processing volumes" (legacy) you can replace them with local "volumes" (URP).

If you have done everything the right way and you have used the global volume then the effects should be applied to the scene view, there is no need to enter play mode.

jvprawn, Z0leee87, kadted and 4 others like this.
  34. Excelion

Excelion

Sorry, I'm very new to all this.
    And I tried to follow all the instructions but what should i do if in Camera -> Rendering, Rendering does not exist? I have the Post Processing package downloaded and can make PP profiles and create PP-Volumes. But everyone says to enable it in the Camera settings, but that setting is not there. I'm on the 2020/3.10f1 version.

xpiredmemes likes this.
  35. Kevin-Skyburn-Games

Kevin-Skyburn-Games

There is a "Post-Processing" checkbox inside the Pipeline Renderer Asset properties that no tutorial mentions for some reason, and it's off by default.

Attached Files:

36. Rechronicle

Rechronicle

if you use URP, Post-processing is already built-in there.
    Just use the component named 'Volume'.
    - enable post-processing in Camera
    - add empty gameobject, add a component named 'Volume'
    - set that gameobject layer to where you want the effect to occur.

:)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  37. atulvi

atulvi

Step 01 : Create Project with Unity 2020.3.11f1.
    01.URP.PNG

Step 02: No external package install from package manager.
    02.URP.PNG

Step 03: Check main camera properties and make sure its enabled it.
    3.URP.PNG

Step 04: Create Global Volume from Hierarchy and create it.
    04.URP.png
    Step 05: Create new profile for volume click on new button.
    Step 06: Successfully created profile.
    Step 07: Add post-processing effect.[ Ex. add override > post-processing > Tonemapping [check mode and select ACES or Natural]]
    050607_URP.png

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    mahdi1375unity and Ony like this.
  38. TrialByFun

TrialByFun

Thanks @Daniels118 >>>>>>>> don't confuse "Volume" with "post processing volume" <<<<<<< THIS was the breakthrough for me, as well as the fact that installing Post Processing from the package manager is no longer the correct way?

unity_i3ZnrjnGm-qs-Q likes this.
  39. M_R_M

M_R_M

@Daniels118 you beautiful beautiful man or woman, that it did it for me. I've been dreading getting back to fixing the art direction of my project because I had this problem I couldn't solve just waiting for me months in the making, but your solution has become my salvation.

Z0leee87 likes this.
  40. kyzelliot

kyzelliot

I happened to have another camera with a higher priority without post processing on. This resulted in my main camera not rendering its post processing effect. Make sure these post processing effects are applied to the camera with highest priority

41. MarekNijaki

MarekNijaki

42. Lawtonfunk

Lawtonfunk

You, Sir, are my freaking hero.

43. angelo90

angelo90

Thank you! this worked for me! i had it all set up, post processing on camera, a new profile, set up postprocessing effects but it wasnt working! but that was because i forgot to set the gobal volume game object in the hierachy as same layer as the post processing layer! thanks so much!

44. EMOTION-THEORY

EMOTION-THEORY

THIS WORKED FOR ME.

Thank you, kind person :)

45. EDGE46

EDGE46

Thanks you saved my life , I was just about to go crazy....that little sneaky checkbox....thank you!!

Tcrakman likes this.
  46. wightwhale

wightwhale

There really needs to be a warning that the post processing plugin doesn't work at all for the URP.

bot2600, Ony and Tcrakman like this.
  47. Brother_77

Brother_77

THANK YOU

Tcrakman likes this.
  48. loconeko73

loconeko73

More than a year later : thanks for that. It's a good check-up list to go through the most obvious - but easy to miss - settings. I had simply unticked Post processing in my camera rendering at some point (or maybe the Cinemachine camera I'm using - which is the one from the Starter Assets package - doesn't have it by default)

In any case, that solved it for me. Thanks again !

49. mawejjenikolas

mawejjenikolas

My problem was that my camera was on another layer, put it on default and it worked

50. rtcheteden

rtcheteden

under any camera you can enable post processing in the render sub tab (just after render type and projection)