Search Unity

URP Post-Processing: Ambient Occlusion availability?

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by ivank, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Matt-Cranktrain

Matt-Cranktrain

I'd love to hear an update from @Elvar_Orn (or indeed anyone) on what the plan is with the two Ambient Occlusion Pull Requests that have been sitting there for months now?

Are there breaking changes within that are too dangerous to merge right now?

fherbst, tomc128, Dinamytes and 5 others like this.
  2. tomc128

tomc128

I've tried pulling the latest commit of the SSAO branch on GitHub and set up a project in the latest Unity version. The effect works well, much better than any other (free) methods I've tried, however there are still a few bugs. Most notably, there is an issue when using the profiler which makes profiling the game impossible and I've no idea where to start to try to fix it. And I had to completely delete some 2D folders to get rid of errors. But other than that it looks good!

3. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Let's hope we can use this soon!

4. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

Heyhey!
    So the I've been working quite hard on this feature for a while now and it's been tough hence the reason why I'm been unusually distant on the forumst lately. I got hit with pretty big setback in regards to workflows, parity with HDRP and the volume system. This has been the biggest reason for the delay besides the Covid-19 troubles, working with two toddlers at home etc.

The current plan right now is this:
    • Part-1 (Depth Only): In review right now and should get merged into master next week.
    • Part-2 (Depth Normals + ConfigureInputs()): Should hopefully be finished and ready for review on Monday. Then I will push for reviews and get merged in next week as well.
    • Backports: Create backports to the 8.x.x branch so it can be included in the 8.2 package.
    • Part-3 (Deferred): This should hopefully not take long.
    • Part-4 (Volume System Support): This will be the biggest priority for the team once I get here. It's difficult to predict because it requires some coordination but this task is on my shoulders and I will push forward as much I can!
    I know it's taken a while but just know that I'm fully committed on this task and will get it released as soon as I can. I know how important this is to all of you.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  5. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I'm curious, how far is Unity going with the workflow parity here?
    I saw this tweet earlier from @willgoldstone (https://twitter.com/willgoldstone/status/1268133950930780167):
    I know the Volume setup is one thing that's already started with URP PP on 2019.3 but curious if Unity will "unify" the setup also on camera, lights, exposure control and sky?

The reason why I ask about this is because all those mentioned things are what currently makes it pain to runtime swap between URP and HDRP (I know this isn't officially supported atm but IMO it could be if these things were unified). I made a new prototype of this earlier this week using the wip SG stacks branch from github: With ability to use SAME shader graphs for both URP and HDRP, runtime swapping between these two feel more feasible than ever but having to deal with those previously mentioned things separately makes this still bit of a pain (every light component has URP and HDRP data components that don't play ball together, same thing with cameras).

6. Matt-Cranktrain

Matt-Cranktrain

We appreciate the update @Elvar_Orn, I'm very glad to hear the merges starting next week. It sounds like once Part 2 is merged (and the backports happen) then it's at a stage where it's suitable for production, performance-wise, for the Forward Renderer?

Keep pushing! I'm looking forward to testing it in my project.

7. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

This is big big task that requires teamwork from both the URP and HDRP teams. So we've created another team specifically tasked with the work of making this happen with key people from both pipelines working assisting. It's super difficult for me to comment on how far we are right now but this is one of the bigger priorities for Unity at the moment. So I can only say that it has a lot of focus from us all.

The volume system became a really big roadblock for this feature because we want to have parity with HDRP but the two pipelines have very different needs and not all systems have been implemented the way we require for URP. For example we need to be as simple as possible to get things up and running, for SSAO we want you to simply add the SSAO to your renderer and voilá, you're good to go! Then if you require more custom control then the volume system would be your next step.

This is difficult because HDRP doesn't have the concept of renderers. So things need to be aligned and made sure switching between pipelines work. This is tough hence why we decided to postpone the volume support to Part-4 rather than right away, which was my initial goal. It's not ideal but I'd rather do this and have SSAO available to you rather than delaying this feature even longer.

Yes, that's the goal. This is being worked on and part of the work the new team is doing.

That's the goal yes. Part-1 is currently being reviewed by QA right now and will start on Part-2 once I've finished up the few remaining tasks there (ShaderGraph + some testing).

dzamani, FurkanSz, andywatts and 8 others like this.
  8. Alexsandro-Natsume

Alexsandro-Natsume

I know this is not the right place , but there is no plan to add shadow mask to URP?

9. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

Yup, it's currently being worked on by one of my team member. Can't give an exact estimation when & where it will land but I don't think it's far off.

10. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

for AO you can use HBAO :]

11. Komikom

Komikom

Sure, but that is neither free nor official

12. andybak

andybak

Top notch communication from @Elvar_Orn - I wish this level of transparency and clarity was the norm.

13. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

Thanks!

14. codestage

codestage

It does not works with VR (Single Pass, 2019.4), so no, we can't =(

15. Aceria_

Aceria_

We tried that and got a pretty significant performance drop compared to 2019.2, so we reverted back until Unity rolls out their version.

16. Matt-Cranktrain

Matt-Cranktrain

I was excited to see that Pull Request Part 1 had been closed, but it's just been closed and not merged as well. I hope Part 2 is merged soon!

17. cxode

cxode

Part 1 was merged into Part 2, that's why it was closed.

18. Aceria_

Aceria_

It's been a couple of weeks, is there any update to this?

19. Matt-Cranktrain

Matt-Cranktrain

@Elvar_Orn was working on the pull request as recently as three hours ago!

Looks like it's been a real challenge to fix all the bugs, get through testing, and get merged. I hope it becomes available soon.

NotaNaN, NateReese77, Aceria_ and 2 others like this.
  20. cxode

cxode

21. andybak

andybak

Anyone got it working? I'm getting errors about the scripted asset importer in Unity 2020.2.

22. Matt-Cranktrain

Matt-Cranktrain

Yes, I'd love to hear how to get the AO features installed. Is it only available in 2020.1 right now?

How long until you can access an AO-supporting version through the package manager?

23. andybak

andybak

I can't even get it working in 2020.1 - that was my point. I'm happy to use the latest git head but I'd love to know which Unity version it's supposed to work with.

24. transat

transat

The pull seems to be for URP 10.0 but the “needs backporting” tags have been removed - does that mean it will be good to go on URP 9 in the next version of 2020.2?

25. transat

transat

As for HBAO being slower... it will be able to piggy back off this to get its own speed up.

26. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

Hey everyone!
    Yes, we finally got the SSAO merged last Friday. Master (10.x.x) is only available for 2020.2 Alpha 17 version, which isn’t out yet, but due soon.

I hope you’ve all taken a look at the "What is next for us at Unity with Scriptable Render Pipelines" forum post we made in the Graphics Subforum. One of our big focus area right now is about quality and stability. Since this is a brand new feature with some additional addons, where the possibility of undiscovered bugs are high, we will not be backporting it to earlier versions of Unity.

My next tasks will be to Improve the SSAO by adding support for Deferred Rendering and Volume Framework. I will also be starting the work on Custom Post Processing.

Ferazel, SINePrime, dzamani and 7 others like this.
  27. Refeas

Refeas

So basically this will make the SSAO for URP unusable for the rest of the year before the 2020.2 releases for any serious projects who will not risk using beta or alpha versions of Unity. I understand the point in stability of older (LTS) versions of URP, but this just makes the whole package ecosystem useless because I still have to update to the last bleeding edge (and extremely buggy) Unity version to have such a standard graphical feature as SSAO.

I get that some features require newer Unity version because of the core SRP API but I believe this is not the case. We should be able to choose multiple package versions. If I feel like it I should be able to use URP 9.x.x on Unity 2019.4 LTS at my own risk, but in an official way.

28. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hi, it's not feasible for us to backport features to older package release streams and ensure that a high quality bar is met. One of the main reasons we have an LTS release is to ensure that we maintain stability and only backport fixes and minor improvements. By backporting features it increases our testing matrix as well as increases the risk of introducing bugs into a stream that people are depending on to be stable. If you want to have features on older versions of Unity you _can_ take this back yourself manually as the source is available, but we will not be doing this.

NotaNaN and dzamani like this.
  29. MP-ul

MP-ul

What's the point in adding those packages if you can only fix them in new unity versions? And btw why are my changes done in the package always undo when I relaunch the project?!,like is redownloading itself if it has been modified.

Edit: Or perhaps you guys are like this: We will make "some" stuff features and the rest you have to figure out how to make it yourselfs kind of thing.

Ziplock9000 likes this.
  30. andywatts

andywatts

Are you copying the package from PackageCache to Packages folder and then editing it there?

31. Neohun

Neohun

Alright guys, I wonder why you do that to us.. Firstly it was announced that it'll be backported to 2019.4 and now you're saying that it won't be backported.. If you can't backport why have you announced it in the first place or vice versa if you have announced that it'll be backported why don't you do it? What kind of a policy is that?

cxode, MP-ul and dragonikus like this.
  32. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

SRP-api team, HDRP team, URP team, Shader Graph team, VFX Graph team, now HDRP to URP communication team:eek:

33. Aceria_

Aceria_

Thanks for the update. I'm a bit disappointed that it wont be backported, but I very much understand the reasoning. Hopefully we can upgrade to 2020.2 before we launch to take advantage of the new stuff, but I think that'll be cutting it too close to our release date. Oh well, there's always a next project!

34. MP-ul

MP-ul

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware that unity packages need to be moved by hand to another forlder in order to modify them.

35. Matt-Cranktrain

Matt-Cranktrain

36. transat

transat

I’m not seeing the AO show up as an option in the post processing volumes in 2020.2a17 with URP 9.x. I assume I need to get URP 10 through github instead?

37. MP-ul

MP-ul

Yes there is no other way it seems. But I do not get this, why is unity testing the feature on 2020.2 when they are about to release the 2020.1?, why not w8 a bit longer and release the 2020.2 directly?.

38. Refeas

Refeas

Yeah, at least backporting these to 2020.1 seems reasonable since it's still in beta.

MP-ul likes this.
  39. transat

transat

What I don't get is what the feature has to do with the editor at all. I would have assumed it was purely tied to the render pipeline. The editor should be pipeline agnostic otherwise what's the point of having the pipelines as separate packages? I'm still confused by the way UT do things.

Ziplock9000, Bordeaux_Fox and MP-ul like this.
  40. Shaderic

Shaderic

I have pulled the latest version of URP from Github and did some small tests with ao. At first sight, it seems to perform okay but it's a bit weird that it is not a post-processing effect but a render feature instead.

41. transat

transat

@Tim-C Will URP 10 be out soon on the package manager? What’s the recommended way to test this?

Matt-Cranktrain likes this.
  42. andybak

andybak

I've tried out the new SSAO and it looks promising. Seems to work in VR fairly well and on a simple scene frame rates were in the 90s.

However - there's a weird stippling effect that I couldn't eradicate. Any ideas?

See the floor on the attached image

Attached Files:

• ssao.png
      ssao.png
      File size:
      184.5 KB
      Views:
  43. MP-ul

MP-ul

Those are shadow problem, shadow bias is to low.

44. hauwing

hauwing

hello, I have 2020.2.0a18 installed, may I know where to get the URP v10? thanks.

45. andybak

andybak

46. legooo

legooo

what version will it be fully released in?(when will you be able to get it from the package manager, not from github)

pwshaw likes this.
  47. Onigiri

Onigiri

I suppose when the beta is out

48. andyz

andyz

I was wondering where AO is for URP and found this thread but I'm surprised.
    Can URP be a universal render system without such a basic feature seen in most games outside of mobile?
    I get it is using a different way of doing things (forward?) but going ahead without having this solved is puzzling.

Anyway will be good to see it in so I can play with URP as will be on previous built-in until it is officially ready.

49. damian1994

damian1994

hello everyone where can I download it to ambient occlusion ??

pwshaw likes this.
  50. pwshaw

pwshaw

really would be nice have this feature for URP. it was looking good in the Github test scene. ETA on when it will be released? thanks