Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

URP Post-Processing: Ambient Occlusion availability?

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by ivank, Sep 6, 2019.

1. ivank

ivank

Hello, its great that URP is now equipped with its own set of post/processing effects. However the AmbientOcclusion effect is still currently missing and is not even mentioned in in-progress documentation on Github.

Can we get any info about the Ambient Occlusion effect status - it means will it make it into 2019.3?

Thanks

2. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Ambient Occlusion isn't available because URP doesn't render a geometry normals texture, which is the pillar of any ambient occlusion effect:

I don't know if they're adding the option (can't see anything related on GitHub). But URP is apparently also getting Deferred rendering in the future, where normals are always available, making AO work out of the box. So I suppose they're either going to implemented it at some point, or wait until Deferred rendering is in place.

ivank likes this.
  3. gustavolsson

gustavolsson

An idea: calculate an approximate normal from the depth texture (that is available) and use that? If you are comfortable with creating your own post-process effect that is.

Useful article on the subject (especially "Cetral differences for Terrains"): http://www.iquilezles.org/www/articles/normalsSDF/normalsSDF.htm

4. transat

transat

5. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

yes, it supports MultiScaleVO
    which relies on the depth buffer only as far as i remember.

it was not really stable (image wise) but under certain conditions better than nothing.
    doing an extra normal pass or using multiple rendering targets when rendering forward lighting sounds a bit bandwidth heavy to me, so i guess we have to live with a rather simple ssao solution.

noio likes this.
  6. transat

transat

@larsbertram1 The hack I posted above simply re-enabled Unity's own PPv2 AO under LWRP. But as 2019.3 has ditched PPv2 I suppose it won't work anymore. Are there currently any working URP 2019.3+ solutions that you know of? Any of your assets?

noio likes this.
  7. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

i don't know.
    i just wanted to clearify that normals are not mandatory if you use some special SSAO techniques.
    they are super good to have but maybe just too expensive – at least in case of URP and forward.

Matt-Cranktrain likes this.
  8. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

9. castor76

castor76

Unity really needs to sort out this custom post processing asap. URP seems like incomplete and feels like it has gone backward now.

superjayman and JimmyCushnie like this.
  10. superjayman

superjayman

I can't believe what a mess it is!, I mean SSAO is a trivial old school method and there is no proper implementation with URP. So, what is the best way to get normals? if URP is so flexible how come you can't even do SIMPLE SSAO???

11. create3dgames

create3dgames

12. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Source files linked through pastebin.

13. create3dgames

create3dgames

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

14. transat

transat