Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

URP Post-Processing: Ambient Occlusion availability?

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by ivank, Sep 6, 2019.

1. ivank

ivank

Hello, its great that URP is now equipped with its own set of post/processing effects. However the AmbientOcclusion effect is still currently missing and is not even mentioned in in-progress documentation on Github.

Can we get any info about the Ambient Occlusion effect status - it means will it make it into 2019.3?

Thanks

2. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Ambient Occlusion isn't available because URP doesn't render a geometry normals texture, which is the pillar of any ambient occlusion effect:

I don't know if they're adding the option (can't see anything related on GitHub). But URP is apparently also getting Deferred rendering in the future, where normals are always available, making AO work out of the box. So I suppose they're either going to implemented it at some point, or wait until Deferred rendering is in place.

3. gustavolsson

gustavolsson

An idea: calculate an approximate normal from the depth texture (that is available) and use that? If you are comfortable with creating your own post-process effect that is.

Useful article on the subject (especially "Cetral differences for Terrains"): http://www.iquilezles.org/www/articles/normalsSDF/normalsSDF.htm

4. transat

transat

rekindledphoenix likes this.
  5. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

yes, it supports MultiScaleVO
    which relies on the depth buffer only as far as i remember.

it was not really stable (image wise) but under certain conditions better than nothing.
    doing an extra normal pass or using multiple rendering targets when rendering forward lighting sounds a bit bandwidth heavy to me, so i guess we have to live with a rather simple ssao solution.

Ruslank100, OfficialHermie and noio like this.
  6. transat

transat

@larsbertram1 The hack I posted above simply re-enabled Unity's own PPv2 AO under LWRP. But as 2019.3 has ditched PPv2 I suppose it won't work anymore. Are there currently any working URP 2019.3+ solutions that you know of? Any of your assets?

noio likes this.
  7. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

i don't know.
    i just wanted to clearify that normals are not mandatory if you use some special SSAO techniques.
    they are super good to have but maybe just too expensive – at least in case of URP and forward.

Ruslank100 and Matt-Cranktrain like this.
  8. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  9. castor76

castor76

Unity really needs to sort out this custom post processing asap. URP seems like incomplete and feels like it has gone backward now.

10. superjayman

superjayman

I can't believe what a mess it is!, I mean SSAO is a trivial old school method and there is no proper implementation with URP. So, what is the best way to get normals? if URP is so flexible how come you can't even do SIMPLE SSAO???

11. create3dgames

create3dgames

12. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Source files linked through pastebin.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  13. create3dgames

create3dgames

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

14. transat

transat

15. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

16. transat

transat

Maybe it's been a month because it's ready and just waiting for another branch to be merged into master first. Could be close. You never know. Deferred lighting in URP is apparently ready to be merged, according to a recent commit.

17. DiveshNaidoo

DiveshNaidoo

Ruslank100 and Matt-Cranktrain like this.
  18. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

If I may, I don't think SSAO is a good fit for URP. If we get deferred, it'll maybe be fine since a big chunk of the performance cost will be paid regardless, but other than that, it's generally an effect that makes things look actively worse and is most definitely not worth the huge performance cost.

Especially with low settings, the only thing it does is make corners look like the have mold. IMO if your game needs SSAO to look good, you are probably doing something wrong. With all that said, I would be interested to find out why people keep asking so much for it.

19. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

I very much like the look of AO, so I disagree with you.

PutridEx, AlexMasse, JoeW97 and 11 others like this.
  20. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

This is pretty much the primary reason for switching from URP to HDRP. All shadergraphs still work once master node is swapped out, I am able to get same graphics as before but with actual ability to perform this effect and many others. I also find that in general, HDRP is actually easier for me to use than URP which seems to have far more issues version to version. I also no longer feel like I have downgraded my graphics by using SRP, which I definately felt with URP

HOWEVER using the custom normals texture by @alexanderameye works for URP! So you can build a AO on top of that.

@alexanderameye please make more tutorials, your edge detection tutorial was great but really waiting for that follow up tutorial that does it as an image effect! Please keep them up you could easily become a major player on the tutorial scene if you fill your site with a little more content!

21. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

Yeah maybe I'll do that, but just feels really weird doing a low-poly game in HDRP... I feel like they did the change to SRPs like a year too early.

Ruslank100 and chadfranklin47 like this.
  22. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Not at all, your just getting a larger set of features. Can make any game you want in it, low poly included. However you can always try generating custom normal texture and then writing an AO effect on top of that, that will work just fine too and above a user has linked to a tutorial on the normal texture part.

23. Mickle_S

Mickle_S

I wrote a basic ScriptableRenderFeature based on the SSAO implementation from the SRP github. Just add it to your RendererData and plug in the shader and noise texture and it should work. It's not a great implementation: it has to blit twice because blitting can't have the same source and destination.

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 1.34.02 PM.png

ScriptableRenderFeatures are a really neat way of extending the pipeline for things like this, but the documentation isn't great and you kind of have to do a lot of digging through the code to understand how to use them.

Happy to answer questions

Attached Files:

24. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

@Soul_Without Looks cool!

Just add it to your RendererData and plug in the shader and noise texture and it should work

How do I go about adding it to my RenderData, completely new to me.

@GameDevCouple_I Why did you choose HDRP over the old "default"? Was more leaning towards just going back to that, since I assumed HDRP would add a lot of bloat I dont need to the project.

25. Mickle_S

Mickle_S

When you first created your Universal Render Pipeline Asset (the one you select in project settings) it should have created another asset for the renderer. In the inspector window for that asset click the plus in the Renderer Features section and you should see the new feature

mrCharli3 likes this.
  26. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

Screenshot_5.jpg View attachment 517100
    @Soul_Without
    Edit: I downloaded 2019.3 but unfortunately it does not pick up your script, see attachment.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  27. transat

transat

According to the public roadmap AO is only still being considered. Confusing.

futurlab_xbox and cxode like this.
  28. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

And reflection probe box projection in a year or so, which is kind of bizarre, since it's roughly ten lines of shader code and it runs even on 5 year old mobile phones, so I don't know why they need a year.

Ruslank100 and cxode like this.
  29. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

30. AlejUb

AlejUb

There are some solutions out there that don't use the normals buffer.
    The first Crysis SSAO was only based on depth textures and a very low sampling ratio.
    I remember a Toy Story 3 SSAO (http://advances.realtimerendering.c... 2010 Advanced RealTime Rendering Course).pdf) managed to get also low count sampling for SSAO
    There's also Neural Network AO that uses a block of depth pixels for a lookup texture for the AO result.

If URP is also aiming for mobile, I would rather have also these options instead of only a high quality-ish one that requires compute shaders, normals, depth, etc.

Also the issue with rolling 'our own' AO solutions is that Unity's Post procesing (PPv2 or URP-builtin) does A LOT of stuff at their final Uber shader, where they start mixing and combining previously prepared results (bloom results, dof results, motion blur results, etc).
    It would be nice if we could write to those 'target textures' to be later used in the final Uber shader that way we could roll our own solutions too (provided a set of rules of how those resulting textures need to be set for compatibility with the Uber shader).

Ruslank100 likes this.
  31. AlejUb

AlejUb

Wow! Thanks a lot for this contribution.
    Would it be possible to add a 'downsample' option, to make it run on a lower res target?

Had a question, if you happen to be acquainted with these RenderPassFeatures, have you found a way to be able to feed a render target result from one blit to the next? Suppose I add a downsampling pass and leave that result on a temporary render target (that's not released), to then use it on a next blit pass feature to, say, gaussian blur it... so on and so forth.

32. pachermann

pachermann

Thank you for sharing this!!!

33. transat

transat

The wait is over! HBAO is now URP friendly. Working beautifully. What a difference a good AO can make.

Repirobito, noio, bmouret and 3 others like this.
  34. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

Edit nvm im stupid.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  35. transat

transat

For the record, @jimmikaelkael has said that HBAO will see performance gains once Unity adds view normals. But working fine for me.

36. soorya696

soorya696

is it possible to enable post-processing via script?

37. transat

transat

You can enable/disable the PP volume, for example. But you should ask in a different thread because this one is more specifically about ambient occlusion in URP.

soorya696 likes this.
  38. Regone

Regone

Is there a free alternative? :\

39. pachermann

pachermann

intergrated lightmapper can do AO baked into Lightmap

40. Regone

Regone

For some reason it doesn't bake for me in URP, are there any steps to do it?

41. pachermann

pachermann

if you for example use a directional light and set it to Bake and the strength (brightnes) is very low it still bakes you AO into Static objects.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    AlejUb likes this.
  42. ykswobel

ykswobel

no news about AO post processing in URP?

43. transat

transat

There is if you check the github. It will be out quite soon.

44. Komikom

Komikom

Link?

45. Matt-Cranktrain

Matt-Cranktrain

Komikom likes this.
  46. pachermann

pachermann

i just used the super affordable HBAO from assets store it's amazing it's fast i love it!!!
    using URP 7.2.1

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    noio, transat and Matt-Cranktrain like this.
  47. transat

transat

It will be faster still when it can tap into depth normals, the dev told me.

pachermann likes this.
  48. jjiangweilan

jjiangweilan

49. transat

transat

50. jjiangweilan

jjiangweilan

Oh ok, I see. I was looking at the global illumination part.