Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

URP Point Light Shadows

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by abi17124, May 3, 2020.

1. abi17124

abi17124

Hey all!
    I just switched to URP today and converted all my materials, I previously had a bunch of point lights and they all casted shadows, however after switching to URP it seems that all the shadows are now gone and can't get them back.

I'm pretty new to unity and I'm not very sure about whats going on, how can I get the shadows to render again?

2. Mauri

Mauri

3. abi17124

abi17124

Ah bummer, is there any way to get shadows for point lights on URP then? I don't need it to be real time.

4. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

5. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

syscrusher, Bezoro, protopop and 2 others like this.
  6. zackblack

zackblack

@phil_lira can we PLEASE get this prioritized? We've been waiting for full URP support for our upcoming VR game for literally years now. It relies heavily on realtime point lights for the atmospheric sci-fi environments and trying to fake it with spotlights and baked shadows looks awful. It's the most upvoted feature according to the roadmap: lighting1.PNG lighting2.PNG URP Roadmap.PNG

7. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I'm pretty sure when its stated to come out soon its already top priority.

8. nasos_333

nasos_333

URP should have never actually released without core features like this, is it really puzzling

9. thelebaron

thelebaron

lclemens and DaneGillburry like this.
  10. nasos_333

nasos_333

Seems could be never, if was easy would have been done over the weekend. Probably the new pipeline platforms are extremely hard to use and extend, as adapting an already existing code for shadows should be trivial.

I suppose will have to make it ourselves.

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Point light shadows are atrocious performance since you have to cull and draw all casters 6 times, 7 including the main pass.

Imagine with a few point lights?

With a dual paraboloid approach you can get it down to 2x culling/drawing of casters, etc depending how big the light radius is. But LWRP, as it was, would never have been lightweight with point shadow.

Spotlights are pretty useful though.

bluescrn and nasos_333 like this.
  12. nasos_333

nasos_333

But is no longer LWRP, is the replacement of standard and having the option is best than not have it, even if the game would be slower. In some game scenarios one point light is enough to make a world of difference with shadows, not always need many as well.

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That's right so that's why it's now in research to add the missing functionality. The plan is to provide all the functionality, I can see on github they're working hard but not necessarily in the order everyone can agree on :)

14. nasos_333

nasos_333

I guess is fine if they eventually add the shadows in a reasonable time frame, though the fact that was first mentioned in 2018 is a concern.

The urp is rather new in its latest stable condition though, so i understand the priority so far was to make stable and is good on this side.

I have done a volumetrics system in urp and would love to see point lights cast volume shadows, is a pain to miss this :)

Ruslank100 and hippocoder like this.
  15. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

Actually yes. And few more weekends to add some fancy stuff like a 4 pass point shadows.

hippocoder likes this.
  16. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

Any discussion regarding point lights being too heavy for real-time use goes out the window with one simple fact: yes you can bake, but good luck setting up a complex indoor scene when your only way of actually getting a good representation of lighting is to run a bake and waste time.

For me, not even being able to see real-time point light shadows in the editor (I am aware that editor and run-time shadows are the same) is the more damning problem. It ramps up your iteration time when developing a scene massively. Even a fairly inefficient quickly hacked together editor-only solution would be better than nothing.

17. nasos_333

nasos_333

Indeed, plus the URP is supposed to replace the Standard pipeline and so far misses base features and seems slower, so those should be top priority and at least have some first implementation soon.

Currently URP is practically useless for any serious purpose, as is HDRP which is vastly slow due to the extreme shader complexity.

18. Mariusz-Born7

Mariusz-Born7

I will add my few words regarding URP. In short it sucks. Whenever I try to do something more outside this sandbox it limits everything. So I switched to SRP and did code my own deferred pipeline with all kinds of shadows (including point lights what is not a problem) and order independent transparency. But again I faced another problems with my other ideas. While trying to solve these problems I faced more problems with editor preview windows not rendering what I want or not running at all on a real device and so on and on. I think built-in pipeline was much better and should be extended and upgraded instead introducing so many variants, because one dosn't know if should use URP, SRP, HDRP or built-in or maybe pick other game engine. Puke... Now if I go back to URP there are no point lights shadows, no deferred rendering, no multipases in shader graph, no order idependent transpareny. If I go back to built-in I will be wasting time because it is going to be obsolate in near future. I started thinking that Unity is a waste of time.

LordCafe, defunct_artist and Rich_A like this.
  19. DebugLogError

DebugLogError

The URP is disrupting my progress as well. I switched after seeing the URP had come out of preview and the built-in pipeline will be marked obsolete. Yet I don't have access to ambient occlusion, point light shadows, light cookies, shadowmask mixed lighting, reflection probe blending, box projection, etc.. I would bite the bullet and switch back to the built-in pipeline, but now my project is dependent on the URP renderer features...

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    HenryTownshend likes this.
  20. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Lens flares are missing too.

21. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

It may not be a waste of time, but it's definitely a time waster

Ruslank100 and Benfont like this.
  22. Mariusz-Born7

Mariusz-Born7

I can see I am not alone here. I am sitting and thinking what to do next instead creating my game. I regret I stopped working on my own engine because here I have to code engine inside engine anyway. Docs sucks too... And let's not forget about DOTS which can scratch out everything. Anyway I don't want to be a troll.. but I have just downloaded Unreal because it looks more like built-in solution and without all that "packet hell" and variations. I am going to experiment with new engine.

defunct_artist likes this.
  23. nasos_333

nasos_333

I dont even want to see at all what those JOBS and DOTS systems are, i suppose are some more ways to destroy any real indie development that we had so far with Monobehavior and C# easiness and create even more of a complexity hell driving indie developers further away from Unity.

Seems everything Unity does these days is to eliminate any indie development on the platform.

24. JohanAcosta

JohanAcosta

I also migrated to URP recently, looking for make fake shadows for Non-Static objects, also im combining 2D Sprites with 3D fisics, so realtime is no a option for me.
    upload_2020-6-29_0-29-28.png

Need fake shadows for my fake 3D Spheres. NkvV84XZh3.gif

maxizrin and Bordeaux_Fox like this.
  25. WryMim

WryMim

Point lights shadows were never fixed :D:D:D:D

26. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Well, if URP would have atleast the Projector component or a decal feature, you could project fake blob shadows. But a lot of former useful standard components are missing like Light Proxy Volume.

27. Refeas

Refeas

I don't want to sound impatient or ungrateful, but it just takes Unity forever to implement any feature. Point light shadows is the most requested feature (based on the roadmap) and it's still not implemented after what... a year since URP was released? Surely, with a team of graphics developers which Unity has at its disposal things could go way faster than this.

28. buFFalo94

buFFalo94

I don't want to sound rude but this is totally unacceptable
    Seriously?? A high priority feature ignored for more than a year

29. MP-ul

MP-ul

Not sure what they do but if they keep this, new features only for new engine release ,there will be a ton of users switching to other engine in favour of another. I mean why they release new versions of the urp without adding extra features for it like new shaders for example: refraction, a vegetation shader with translucency, something with vertex painting support like in HDRP with the layer lit material, utility stuff that makes the developer jobs more easy and let them focus on the gameplay or programming in general.

30. MP-ul

MP-ul

They are probably saving it for the 2 next year release.

31. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

If they add all feature fast(it's relatively easy) then marketing guys have been nothing to advertise every half of a year.

32. MP-ul

MP-ul

Marketing over some features that should have come 4 years ago? Not a good idea though.:eek:

33. Alex_Heizenrader

Alex_Heizenrader

This is quite concerning that URP, the supposedly standard to be, for rendering, still misses point light shadows...

What's going on Unity?

34. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Well, atleast they working on it.

35. thelebaron

thelebaron

urp shadows are in active development(hurrah) on the repository now. they are a bit buggy in some regards but shaping up very nicely

maxizrin, NotaNaN, Ruslank100 and 5 others like this.
  36. Matt-Cranktrain

Matt-Cranktrain

The branch under development is point-light-shadows-wip. Looks like real-time shadows for spot lights is coming in the same batch of work as well.

I'd be interested to know whether this is going to be back ported back to 2019.3, or whether it's a 2020.x-only feature. I ask just because the Ambient Occlusion is currently going to be 2020.2 only, which is obviously still an Alpha version, and it would be nice to access this work sooner rather than later this year or early next year.

37. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

They stated already that there will be no new SRP features backported to 2019, only bug fixes (if any).

38. illyTheKid

illyTheKid

39. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Yes, this is officially from Unity.

illyTheKid likes this.
  40. MP-ul

MP-ul

This is so stupid man, they have just released a new unity version and they tell users to use the LTS version if they have a project close to finnish.Why would you take that software out of beta if people cannot use it for production?. How would it be for Adobe to release a substance painter version were you cannot export your textures and wait 1 month for a fix?.

buFFalo94 and zackblack like this.
  41. zackblack

zackblack

Totally agree. "Production Ready" is laughable when there are missing features (not to mention a pile of game breaking bugs).

Ruslank100 and MP-ul like this.
  42. buFFalo94

buFFalo94

This is so true
    I wonder if Unity really care about what the community thinks

43. olli_vrcoaster

olli_vrcoaster

we abondened URP for our last big project because of lacking point light shadows. Now we're about to start a new lightweight VR Attraction where we definitly need good point light shadows. And again i'm considering using URP although for now it looks like a bad idea tbh. If point light shadows are beeing released before septembre i'll give URP another go if not the project will be with built-in RP. We would really like to work with the latest Renderpipeline features, vfx graph & performance boost.. but can't afford to switch mid-production anymore

44. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

Freaking Roblox is getting point light shadows before URP.

45. MP-ul

MP-ul

Cryengine had time to catch on with the mobile market, look how well Crysis 1 works on the switch, =)) A game that melted pc's now running on a mobile console. Shame on unity for losing this one.

Ruslank100 likes this.
  46. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

Looking at Crysis running with goddamn real-time GI on the same machine where Unity struggles with running a terrain with a bunch of low polygon trees and basic post effects is... ugh.

47. leslviv

leslviv

Any news on this or official statements? It takes a while already.
    Why 2019.4 is called LTS if it's missing so many core features that are so badly delayed or might not get added at all?
    Hey did you find a good answer to your question?
    Where can I find this statement? Ambient occlusion is not a new feature in general.

MP-ul likes this.
  48. Graithen

Graithen

I'm already waist deep into a project and cannot switch to RP as we need shadergraph. Im not going to lie, nothing has ever seriously made me want to move to Unreal as much as this has. This is one of those core features that I just expect to be there, and its inexcusable that its not. I went to light a scene for promotional stuff and its ridiculous how little you can do artisticly. I usually recommend Unity over Unreal, and having seen this fiasco with such an integral lighting feature, im not sure that is something I can in good faith do anymore until this is complete.

MP-ul likes this.
  49. nasos_333

nasos_333

I hope point light shadows go into 2019.4.x LTS

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    n8burba and MP-ul like this.
  50. zackblack

zackblack

Totally agree. Still waiting...

DebugLogError and MP-ul like this.