Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

URP - Oculus Quest - Transparent Materials not working

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by mbIcaros, Nov 18, 2019.

1. mbIcaros

mbIcaros

I'm trying to create a simple transparent material with alpha channel in the texture (URP).
    In the editor, everything shows up as expected. But when I build and run on Oculus Quest, transparent objects don't get rendered.
    I tried every available material from the Universal Render Pipeline. Only Opaque with Alpha Clipping works but as soon as any of the shaders is set to Transparent they no longer show up in the build.

Is this a bug, is there something in the settings I missed, or is it just not supported at this time?

I'm using Unity 2019.0.b11 (URP) and Oculus Quest.

2. GlitchInTheMatrix

GlitchInTheMatrix

Hi, What version of URP are you using ? 3 days ago version 7.1.5 was released
    Im using Unity 2019.3.0 b8 with URP/SG 7.1.5 without that problem.

3. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

This has been broken for months, we have reported it and the developers are looking into fixing it and also adding better testing for Shader Graph across XR

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/pull/4803#issuecomment-555324501

mbIcaros likes this.
  4. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

At some point after then, they broke it and they haven't had automated tests in place to catch anything else breaking unfortunately!

mbIcaros likes this.
  5. mbIcaros

mbIcaros

6. mbIcaros

mbIcaros

I'm using Unity 2019.3.0 b11 with URP/SG on 7.1.5, everything else is also on the latest version.
    (Single Pass Stereo Rendering)

Also, I'm not getting any warnings or errors in the console.
    Transparency neither works with Standart URP Materials nor with shaders created with SG.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  7. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

8. chibiskuld

chibiskuld

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    ROBYER1 likes this.
  9. swanickj

swanickj

Is anyone still having this issue? I am currently unable to render any transparent materials at all on Oculus Quest, with all unity versions from 2019.3.2 to 2019.4.1, and all URP versions from 7.3.1 to 7.5.1.

I tried @chibiskuld's suggestion and it did not work. None of of @ROBYER1 's links currently work.

When I use RenderDoc to analyze a frame in the Quest, RenderDoc shows the transparent objects rendering just fine, but it remains invisible in the headset.

I have noticed that sometimes, some transparent objects will create scattered dot-like artifacts, like so:
    screenshot from Quest:
    upload_2020-9-30_17-13-14.png
    it's hard to see but if you look close you can see the dots:
    upload_2020-9-30_17-13-22.png

the actual scene in the editor:
    upload_2020-9-30_17-14-15.png

10. LuciaGambardella

LuciaGambardella

Having the same problem on Unity 2019.4.11f1 with URP 7.3.1 and also 7.5.1 on Oculus Quest...
    I can't tell you how angry I am, they make a Render Pipeline optimized for VR, and what? The Render Pipeline has a big problem with rendering trasparent objects on Quest.

Tried all the possible settings, the built-in URP shader, a custom one and one from Amplify.

Nothing worked.

The only way to make it work is to use the MultiPass, but we all know at what price.
    Jesus, now I have to switch the entire project again.

I really hope that, on a LTS, such a BIG Problem they are carrying since the last year, will be solved.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    Alex-CG, jeromeWork and swanickj like this.
  11. swanickj

swanickj

Update to my previous post! I found that the issue was present when i had BOTH Opaque Texture and MSAA active. Both of these are necessary in a lot of situations but I lucked out in the project i was having this issue with, and was able to remove MSAA.

12. reddo

reddo

I'm using the built in render pipeline and also can't get any transparent materials to show on Quest 2 with or without MSAA enabled. Using 2019.4.15f.
    However, a build with clean project and example cube shows transparency. Any ideas what could be causing all objects with transparency to not show/load?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  13. Danielsantalla

Danielsantalla

Bump, I can't see my transparent objects either on oculus quest 1. :( Unity 2020.3 URP 10.5

14. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

You'll likely see transparent materials working once you disable MSAA. It's a knowm bug, that apparently can't be helped https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/urp-oculus-quest-oculus-go-shader-doesnt-render-when-msaa-is-enabled-on-single-pass-instanced-rendering

15. starfoxy

starfoxy

I'm a bit late to the party here but does this mean that we cannot use transparency with materials on the Quest 2?

16. bellatesla

bellatesla

I disabled "Opaque Texture" and kept MSAA x4, and now it works for me. Enabling "Opaque Texture" was causing the issue of not seeing transparent objects.

joshbeckwith and XiaoTN like this.