Search Unity

Question URP Material Overrides - generated components with confusing name

Discussion in 'Graphics for ECS' started by DevViktoria, Dec 11, 2021.

1. DevViktoria

DevViktoria

I created a feature where I change the Material Override color from code. In my project I am using the URP.
    I created a material override asset that overrides the color of a URP Lit shader. If I added this material override to a gameobject during conversion it generated HDRPMaterialPropertyBaseColor component. (See the attached screenshot.) And also to change it I had to change this kind of component. Which is confusing since I am using URP in my project

IMHO It would be great if in case of URP, the generated component would be URPMaterialPropertyBaseColor or if this can be used for both RPs then, there would be no prefix at all and the generated component would be MaterialPropertyBaseColor.

Attached Files:

2. DevViktoria

DevViktoria

It seems that it is fixed with the 0.50 version.

3. apaxnid

apaxnid

No it is not

4. DevViktoria

DevViktoria

This is strange. Because after I did the upgrade my system that were updating the HDRPMaterialPropertyBaseColor no longer worked. I had to change it so it would update the URPMaterialPropertyBaseColor, because that was the component that is attached to my entities now.

5. DevViktoria

DevViktoria

And actually I was adding new a Material Override asset to a GameObject in an updated project and I got the URPMaterialPropertyBaseColor component. (See the attached image.)

Attached Files:

6. tassarho

tassarho

this was already an issue during 0.17 and i agree those component are very confusing, i search in the hybrid renderer documentation and i can't find any useful information about those components, each component is present in the API but most of them provide no description, and not even a hint about what they do.

i hope hybrid renderer will recieve the same update for it's documentation than Entities 0.50 recieved. because right now the documentation is not user friendly.

DevViktoria likes this.
  7. apaxnid

apaxnid

Mayby im doing something wrong, fresh urp sample project, adding material override with exactly the same color as base material and im getting this

Attached Files:

8. DevViktoria

DevViktoria

Or maybe the update has did something with my project that is not done for new project? This is certainly weird .....
    Maybe I should put back the "Help Wanted" category to this thread don't I?

9. apaxnid

apaxnid

Even the colors is wierd for me:(