Search Unity

URP lit shader will not receive shadows while transparency is enabled

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Centripetal, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Centripetal

Centripetal

I've noticed that the LWRP/URP lit shader (or any other URP shader) will not receive shadows while the transparency is enabled. Is there a workaround for this? Or maybe some kind of shadow catcher material? Maybe I should go back to the default RP and try its mobile shaders.

2. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

3. Centripetal

Centripetal

Thanks for the information.

4. Matze_MP

Matze_MP

Hi, got URP 7.1.8 released 22.January. Where can i find the toggle that is mentioned in the github comments?

5. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

Hey,
    7.1.8 was a minor update to URP and the changes made in my PR were quite significant so this fix was unfortunately not able to be part of that update.

It will however be in the 7.2 version that's due to release in approx 2 weeks.

zeiksz likes this.
  6. GVUnity

GVUnity

@ElvarOrnUnnthorsson Do you have a link to the ticket for this issue?
    I'm working on a project that will need shadows on a transparent surfaces using the URP.

Sorry, I just noticed your link in your previous post.

7. tylerwongj

tylerwongj

@Elvar_Orn I'm now with URP 7.2.1. Do shadows still not work on Lit shader with Surface Type: Transparency? I have "Receive Shadows" checked.

@GVUnity were you able to see shadows?

8. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

If you look in FrameDebugger, can you see a pass that is rendering objects to a shadowmap? (before opaques).
    Do you have "transparents receive shadows" in the renderer asset? It is enabled by default.
    Is you light set to realtime and it has "cast shadows" option enabled?
    Do you have realtime shadows option enabled in your pipeline asset?

9. davisadam10

davisadam10

Having the same issue as above with 2019.3.4f1 & URP 7.2.1, no shadows on lit transparent shaded objects.

Simple scene with a stack of objects in Y

spot light shining down Y at the top
    cube
    transparent plane
    opaque plane at the bottom

Shadow on the opaque bottom plane of the cube, but nothing on the transparent plane at all.

In answer to the questions below

In the frame debugger, yes I do see a pass rendering to a shadow map, can see the shadow on the opaque plane at the bottom of the stack but nothing on the transparent plane

I do have "transparents receive shadows" turned on, on the material

My spot light is set to realtime

Light does not seem to have a "cast shadows" option, however given I am seeing my soft shadows on the bottom opaque plane, Im going to assume this is correctly setup.

Similarly cant see a "realtime shadows" option in the pipeline asset, there are options for "Cast Shadows" which are turned on, and again I am seeing shadows on the opaque plane.

Am I missing something silly?

zeiksz likes this.
  10. zeiksz

zeiksz

2019.3.7f1 URP 7.3.1 still not working properly.

UserNobody likes this.
  11. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

I am using URP 7.2.1 and, you guessed it, for me the "Transparent Receive Shadows" is also not working

... for the STANDARD URP materials. However, I noticed that my shader graph material works just fine. Threw that sunofa on my other objects and sure enough my transparent objects had shadows.

It is, of course, annoying and unintuitive to recreate (and test!) a couple of different shaders, but I hope this at least helps anyone who finds this thread.

UPDATE:
    In fact, here is a recreation of the Simple Lit shader to get you started.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    zeiksz likes this.
  12. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is this issue still going on ? I cannot use URP at all if this simple base feature is not working

13. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

It should work, when this issue was fixed in 7.2.0, I created a test scene containing every URP shader opaque and transparent and all of them receive shadows.

If this is not working then that is some bug I haven't been able to reproduce and would love to receive a bug report about it.

14. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi, thanks for the response.

Is there a way to get an insight of what the fix was ? I have a shader based on URP Lit one, i started it on LWRP 6.9.0, and did some changes as moved to URP. Now i am not sure if is the fault of my shader based on older LWRP or new URP issue. Turning from transparent to AlphaTest works for shadow receive.

Also is there any news about the slowdowns in Unity editor after Unity 2019.3.1f1, i have sent this bug long time ago and there is no news, this is also crucial for my asset and currently is not working at all after Unity 2019.3.1.

https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?1233944_744uepe09a7cbra7

Thanks in advance

15. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

nasos_333 likes this.
  16. nasos_333

nasos_333

17. Incode

Incode

We updated our project from LWRP to URP and are seeing similar issues. Any chance switching between the two could cause the problem? It's happening with shader graph shaders, as well as built-in Universal shaders like unlit particles. Toggling transparents receive shadows has no effect.

18. Coderious

Coderious

Hi, not sure if it's the same issue, but the terrain does not receive shadow at all while using the default terrain shader (URP/Terrain/Lit). The shadow works fine if I switch the shader to hidden shader Hidden/Universal_TerrainVisualization, which I came across trying different shaders.

The problem is that I can't add layers on the Hidden/Universal_TerrainVisualization. I tried manually updating the default shader to mimic the hidden shader without success.

Any advice how to make the default TerrainLit shader receiving shadow?

chillcarrier likes this.
  19. calpolican

calpolican

Any luck solving the problem? I still have no shadows casting from transparent objects, they get painted as soon as I switch the material to opaque.

UserNobody likes this.
  20. UserNobody

UserNobody

In URP 7.3.1 when using Lit shader and transparent mode doesn't seems to cast shadow. I don't understand how hard can it be to fix this issue.. This thread is almost 1 YEAR old..

brownbomber likes this.
  21. calpolican

calpolican

A hack to solve it, is just to add a second version of the object with a material set to opaque but with alpha cut out and in the renderer mark it as render only shadows. They should use alpha cut out by default for the shadows or something.

Gravesend likes this.
  22. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

I can try and find out @UserNobody, I'll ask around for you!

UserNobody likes this.
  23. Matt-Cranktrain

Matt-Cranktrain

Hi Shaun, can you please follow up with this one? This is a long standing issue and if the goal really is to close the feature gap between URP and the Standard Renderer then this is a particularly glaring omission to be left hanging.

Definitely a pain point for me.

24. Lyxodius

Lyxodius

@Shaunyowns Any news on this issue?
    This is a really important and basic feature to a lot of people, including me.
    I hope this gets fixed soon.
    Please keep us up to date.

25. brownbomber

brownbomber

Sometimes I wonder if Unity pays any attention to these posts, and just fixes or updates things at their own leisure!! It really does not seem like they do pay much attention!!

unnanego likes this.
  26. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

unnanego likes this.
  27. Amanecer

Amanecer

@Shaunyowns
    Hi!

Any news on this situation? I'm facing the same problem. I want to use 2d plane / sprite as surface for texture that contains alpha channel information. When using URP / Lit -shader on a plane it casts shadows but once I activate alpha (change surface type to Transperent) I loose casted shadows.

28. ivank

ivank

Maybe not quite directly related, but - is it possible to create matte/"shadow-drawer" effect using the URP?

In fact it means fully transparent plane, but displaying shadows casted by other objects (see attached example picture).
    For the original Unity 5 renderpipeline the effect was possible via this Unity's Keigiro Takahashi shader.

Based on discussion above, receiving shadows on (semi)transparent surfaces does not seem to be supported...

Attached Files:

29. MP-ul

MP-ul

First go here and open that.

Then Edit this to true

alanorin, enginx3d and ivank like this.
  30. MP-ul

MP-ul

Now next on my list is how to fix this darkening
    Standard RP

URP

31. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Looks like there is no GI or Ambient color (sky).

32. MP-ul

MP-ul

There is, but is way way darker.

33. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Can you show all settings, materials and lighting window?

34. MP-ul

MP-ul

It has nothing to do with that, is a simple scene with default settings. It works with the standard shaders, but when you switch to URP in unity 2019.4 the shadows and ambient in general is darker. Is a shader problem not a wrong setting.

35. sinaari

sinaari

So what's the answer?

I love it how even you yourself being within Unity can't get any response from others in Unity, for 3 months and at least 2 attempts! And how it's the same sheetuation as when you tried to ask them about the deferred renderer (https://forum.unity.com/threads/urp-deferred.931872/#post-6345231)

That makes us something like brothers here <3

I have no idea what's your company's communications model is, but it looks like Unity is unaware that it's possible to actually talk with people, both inside the company and outside (because why, right?). Not much of any unity there is in Unity. A better name would be Obscurity. "Obscurity Engine" -- I like it, pretty much describes the feelings from working with it and from trying to get any support.

MP-ul likes this.
  36. MP-ul

MP-ul

Well every worker at unity is like that, I have not seen any help given to anyone ever since I joined this forum from one of them, only good people who use unity helped with a mod of a shader or a fix in some areas.

sinaari likes this.
  37. Ziplock9000

Ziplock9000

I just created a new lit shader graph, applied it to an object and it's not receiving shadows. If I apply the built-in URP/Lit, it does.

Unity 2020.2.0b14.3668
    URP 10.2.2
    Shader Graph 10.2.2

38. restush96

restush96

I found a shader on URP with an object receive shadow while still transparent. You can also adjust the transparency level.

ivank likes this.
  39. Lynx891

Lynx891

Hi, this is still an issue, i'm using Unity 2020.2.4f1.

Changing the Surface Type to Opaque makes the whole plane object cast a shadow, but Transparent does not cast any shadow, can Unity devs please fix this problem?

Attached Files:

BertrandNM, Spoke44 and soorya696 like this.
  40. vfxjex

vfxjex

upload_2021-2-23_14-1-50.png

Bug still exist in 2020.2

41. JRCurio

JRCurio

We had this issue for leaves but we changed the material to opaque then activated alpha clipping and chnage the values. Hope this helps someone :)

42. Lonnie211

Lonnie211

thanks for this bro!

VitaPro likes this.
  43. shibi2017

shibi2017

upload_2021-6-22_17-21-39.png
    urp v12, still no shadows when a lit shader enables tranparency

44. szsahajsz

szsahajsz

Will this be ever added? cast shadows on transparent pbr's in urp?

45. CamoTurtle

CamoTurtle

For anyone finding this because their leaves on trees are NOT casting a shadow with basic URP Lit shader.
    • Switch the material back to Opaque and then check 'Alpha Clipping' instead
    Not sure if this works for other transparent needs, or any drawbacks? I'm a beginner :)
    upload_2021-10-3_10-5-55.png

DefaultPixel92, akaBase and Gravesend like this.
  46. calpolican

calpolican

Yes, this has already been stated in this thread (many times actually, I think people post before reading). Setting it to opaque also helps with the Z-fighting. But it's not a real solution, just a hack, since it doesn't allow for semi-transparency. You can't have values ike 0.5 alpha, only 1 or 0. I proposed above that you can use the cutout just for the shadow, if needed. Check it out. Still, a semitransparent shadow should be available out of the box.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  47. jwinn

jwinn

48. stackt

stackt

Still fighting with this on the latest beta build (2022.1.0b3.2528), and every time I try to modify the URP package it gets reverted
    castShadows.png
    Creating my own shader graph that casts and receives shadows the result casts shadows but is visually wrong when compared to the opaque surface type
    Transparent:
    TransparentSurfaceType.png
    Opaque:
    OpaqueSurfaceType.png

49. Sky77

Sky77

This is a sorting problem within a single transparent mesh. It’s a classic problem in real-time 3d rendering, and it’s basically unsolvable. You can mitigate it or revise the assets.

stackt likes this.
  50. Dankann

Dankann

For anyone still having problems with the lit shader not casting shadows when surface type is transparent, try changing the shader from Simple Lit to Complex Lit, that fixed it for me.