Search Unity

Question URP Lit Shader in Shader Graph

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by jp_xsi4life, Sep 2, 2020.

1. jp_xsi4life

jp_xsi4life

Is there a way of starting with the URP LIT shader and extending it with Shader Graph? Or do I need to rebuild the entire LIT shader graph and add my extra features to it?

chuckyluv869 likes this.
  2. jp_xsi4life

jp_xsi4life

Found a version of the HDRP Lit Shader Graph if anyone finds that useful:
    https://github.com/RemyUnity/SG-HDRP-Lit

It would be great if there was a standard example graph included in URP and HDRP for the main coded shaders.

chuckyluv869 likes this.
  3. Armegalo

Armegalo

I too am looking for a shader graph version of the URP Lit shader. I'm relatively new to shaders so wanted to start there as an example for learning. My own efforts are sadly lacking :(

4. JordanRy

JordanRy

Did any of you have success?

5. Sinterklaas

Sinterklaas

Old post, but since it's been bumped recently:

Unity actually wrote a blogpost that tells you how to do lighting in URP:
    https://blog.unity.com/technology/custom-lighting-in-shader-graph-expanding-your-graphs-in-2019

The shader graph interface in their pictures is a little bit different from current Unity versions, since the post is from 2019, but it still works. However, make sure that your shader is set to either Unlit or SpriteUnlit, or else you'll get lighting twice.

If you also want your objects to cast shadows, make sure to instead set your shader to Lit, and to pipe your lit color into the Emission port of the output node so that you don't get lighting twice. I don't know if custom shadow receiving works in Unlit/SpriteUnlit shaders, but it definitely works with the Lit method. But only if your shader's surface is set to "Opaque" or you have "Transparent Receive Shadows" enabled in your Forward Renderer Data asset.

Also, I got some errors with the #ifdef KEYWORD directives in their code, but replacing them with #if defined(KEYWORD) directives solved that issue for me. Might be a problem with my Unity version, but that's how you fix that problem in case it does occur.

Lastly, the guide doesn't cover ambient light, emission or normal mapping. The first can be done yourself by using an Ambient Light node, the second is a simple add operation between your lit color and your emission color, and the third can be done with the graph below. You just use the output of that graph instead of the Normal Vector node used in the blogpost, and there you go you've got normal mapping.

I think that about covers it.

Attached Files:

6. SweetBro

SweetBro

Performing necromancy on this thread to see if anyone's managed to find a solution to this.

MagiJedi, matheus_inmotionvr and lrb like this.
  7. syjgin

syjgin

upload_2022-8-29_12-3-47.png
    Now needed node is seems to be working in last 2021 LTS

8. Bersaelor

Bersaelor

Your image is showing a node from a VFX graph. not the shader graph.

That said, I'd still like to know what people use as a good URP/Lit shader replacement as a starting point for adding additional features.

ben_hip likes this.
  9. corgan13353

corgan13353

Anybody find a replacement for the URP/Lit in shadergraph?

10. Zai-shen

Zai-shen

2023 and developers still would want an answer instead of building everything from the ground up.

StrangeWays777 likes this.
  11. mlddigits_phellmann

mlddigits_phellmann

any news 3 years later? I am still searching the Unity URP StandardSurface shader as a base to build upon it in shader graph to change couple of features, like AO map with UV2 channel.

12. Elliott-Mitchell

Elliott-Mitchell

Cough Cough. Anything?

StrangeWays777 and Kondziu2504 like this.
  13. unity_483C4357D3269025FA3B

unity_483C4357D3269025FA3B

14. Adegmood

Adegmood

I have also dealt with this problem, is my solution - https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/slug/249542

15. ashwinFEC

ashwinFEC

tonyomendoza likes this.
  16. hellobard

hellobard

GAHHH.

(sorry, too many years of frustration came out there in one word.)
    (what went wrong, unity?)

17. victornor

victornor

Everything went wrong, as usual.
    Years of people requesting something super basic with no response from unity.
    Something we've come to expect from unity...

chloelcdev likes this.
  18. angeldevelopment

angeldevelopment

2024 and still need this, why isnt this included in the URP samples??

19. FredMoreau

FredMoreau

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I appreciate this is frustrating. We have the feature request here. Please vote and we'll do our best to provide something as a Sample.

20. adri3105

adri3105

After searching a lot of information, I was not able to find any shader graph already assembled, so I have created it by myself using some examples. I hope it will help you.
    https://github.com/adri3105/URP_ShaderGraph

21. angeldevelopment

angeldevelopment

Wow you're a life saver, how did you go about creating this?

22. angeldevelopment

angeldevelopment

Not trying to be rude, but why is it that some random dev can create this in a day or two, but a company with thousands of employees can't. Is the management/bureaucracy just preventing you devs from doing any work?

Im becoming very frustrated with Unity, especially once I found out that Unity China has Nanite/Lumen adjacent technologies.

23. FredMoreau

FredMoreau

Unity Technologies

I'm tempted to say that it is actually because a user can create it that we haven't.
    To your point though, it might not be possible for just a "random" dev, and still, it takes time and knowledge.
    That's why it's on the roadmap.

There is indeed a difference between what a user can share with the community, and what a public company can officially release. It comes down to liability, quality, testing, documentation and maintenance.

For example, @Remy_Unity has made a Shader Graph that replicates the HDRP Lit Shader, it's available here.
    Also, @BenCloward is constantly working on delivering great samples. Look out for the upcoming Production Ready Assets. It shall contain a lot of what you expect.

Thanks for your feedback.