Search Unity

1. The 2022.1 beta is now available for testing. To find out what's new, have a look at our 2022.1 beta blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Wanted URP Lit Particles - without self shadow

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by SniperED007, Sep 3, 2021.

1. SniperED007

SniperED007

Is there a way to turn off self-shadowing on particles?
    I have alpha lit particles that I don't want to look dark if the direction light is coming from behind the particles, only want them to be dark if they are in the shadow of objects.

2. pez

pez

I might be misunderstanding the question, but you can disable shadow casting from the particles themselves in the particle system renderer settings - https://i.imgur.com/oyO4LZb.png

3. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

If they are billboards, maybe changing the Normal Direction in the Renderer module may help.

4. SniperED007

SniperED007

To explain it better:
    this is looking at the particles and it looks great... but when I view it from behind all the particles are black (I want the sunlight to pass through it so that it looks the same as the front)
    upload_2021-9-3_21-50-40.png

The other view:
    upload_2021-9-3_21-52-2.png

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Then you should add ambient light of some kind or adjust the shader so it is not necessary. Does the same happen if you add a regular mesh sphere? if so then you need to address it in the same way or modify the shader to your liking / use other shader.

6. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Adjusting the Normal Direction setting will definitely help wrap the lighting around the back of the billboards a bit more.

But really you are probably wanting some sort of translucency/sub-surface scattering. HDRP has that but maybe not URP. I’m not sure.

Hippocoder is right about needing a custom shader (graph) to try and do this. Ambient is a good cheap alternative.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Yep I just wanted to demystify what shader they might've been using - could be alpha cutout - I can't see, and I don't truly know their intention.

unityunity