Search Unity

URP Kawase Blur not working on Android

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by MochiHeron, Jun 14, 2022.

1. MochiHeron

MochiHeron

Hello,
    I have a URP project working with Kawase Blur (https://github.com/tomc128/urp-kawase-blur). Works in Unity Editor 2021.3.0f1, URP 12.1.6. But the blur effect doesn't work deployed to Android device. The game and UI still work, but instead of blur it creates a gaussian gradient background. I see no error in Android studio logcat. Tested on Samsung Galaxy S21.

Example: Windows | Android

Has someone else ran into a similar issue or know what I might need to look into?
    Is there another frosted glass shader works with URP on Android and iOS devices? I've searched all over and tried several, but have had no success.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  2. MochiHeron

MochiHeron

I figured it out! Kawase Blur setup requires adding a renderer feature to the renderer pipeline asset, which I did. But I did not realize that the "Quality" project setting is set up with various levels using separate pipeline assets for specific platforms.

So the problem was I had only added Kawase Blur feature to the render pipeline asset for Windows. All I had to do to fix this is adding the feature to the asset for Android.

I am still discovering all the wonderful features Unity has! Hope this help anyone else having similar issues.

Now that I am more aware of platform optimization, I am wondering if this Blur implementation is suitable for mobile game. Anyone has experience with this?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    philippec_unity792 and ElliotB like this.
  3. MartinRGB

MartinRGB

In addition to Rendering Pipeline Asset's setting in 'Quality'
    For Oculus:
    XR Plug-in Management -> Oculus -> Stereo Rendering Mode -> Multi Pass