Search Unity

URP in WebGL uses a ton more memory than built-in renderer

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by monark, Sep 1, 2020.

1. monark

monark

I've been developing in URP for a while and I've realised in WebGL it's using a ton more memory than the old standard built in pipeline. Like by almost a factor of 2.

This appears to be a function of using a separate camera with a different render pass on it.
    So when I start my game I'm using one camera and the memory is stable around 700Mb but then I fire up another camera to do an effect with and suddenly the memory jumps up by 600Mb!
    In the old builtin renderer the memory stayed the same, I was using replacement shaders in that case.

So does URP duplicate all the object memory when you use another camera with different shaders on it?

Also, I can't get the profiler to work with WebGL so no information is coming that way.

Is this a known bug or "just the way it works now"?

In the editor I don't see the issue, memory stays about the same but in WebGL it's a killer. So my view is it's a bug. Which I'll report.

I'm currently stuck between a rock and a hard place, do I try and roll everything back to built-in or soldier on hoping for a fix, or keep looking for an existing solution.
    If I roll back I lose the advantages of using the latest pipeline on mobile but it will be less likely to crash in a browser....
    Unity always seems to throw up these conundrums

Does anyone have any similar experience or insights?

KamilCSPS likes this.
  2. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

Hey there!
    Can you file a bug about this so we can take a look at your project and dig a bit deeper to what's going on?

3. monark

monark

You ok with the full project, which is pretty involved, or should I try and reduce it down to something easier to handle?

4. monark

monark

I've narrowed down the issue to GetPixels() which I'm calling a few times in a frame to get a pixel area count.
    Weirdly in Chrome on the Mac it doesn't seem to cause an issue, nor does it in a test project.
    But on Windows PC in Chrome on my real project it blows up the memory allocation.

Case 1274594

5. monark

monark

Seems to be related to this, though I'm finding it jumps by 500Mb not 100Mb after 1Gb as stated in this thread
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/wasm-heap-growth.778112/

I've also managed to refactor some code to improve garbage collection and keep it below the magic 1Gb.