Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Join us on Dec 8, 2022, between 7 am & 7 pm EST, in the DOTS Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A forum, Discord, and Unity3D Subreddit to learn more about DOTS directly from the Unity Developers.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Question URP DLSS 2.0 support when?

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by ROBYER1, Aug 3, 2022.

1. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

When will URP support DLSS? I am working on an increasing amount of apps where we need to use URP for performance reasons but DLSS would help a lot with this and also allow us to upscale apps and games to 4K well. I am aware that URP 14+ has AMD FSR 1.0 support but the current supported Unity 2022.2 beta has some crashing issues unrelated to FSR being added.

I would like to try out DLSS with URP to compare it for sure if it is a feature being added!

Roggi_, second_ich, arewan97 and 7 others like this.
  2. MagiJedi

MagiJedi

+1. Please Unity, get us an update or an explanation for the delay.

3. macube

macube

4. SniperED007

SniperED007

Nvidia said they've been pushing for this as well, but Unity have been holding it up.

On a side note, looks like AMD FSR 1.0 support has been dropped from Unity 2022.1 (or moved if so anybody know where to?)

ROBYER1 likes this.
  5. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Source for that please?
    FSR was only available for me in URP versions available in the current beta 2022.2+ of the engine and not in older engine versions.

6. SniperED007

SniperED007

Source - I requested why their wasn't support for DLSS for URP from one of the Developer Relations people at Nvidia and they said it was Unity not them. Something about Unity trying to move everything into the HDRP.

AMD FSR 1.0 is in 2021.3 LTS but for some reason not in 2022.1

ROBYER1 likes this.
  7. wwWwwwW1

wwWwwwW1

Agree that URP should support DLSS because it will be the default RP. (at least put it to the roadmap)

But as far as I know, DLSS/FSR 2 requires motion vector which is still not available (by default) in URP (2022.2b/2023.1a).

Personally, the progress of URP is pretty slow these years. (compared to HDRP)

Hoping that there will be TAA in 2023.2's URP.

bluescrn likes this.
  8. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Especially as moving forward Unity is aligning URP + HDRP to make it easy to switch between them both rather than them both being 2 separate things entirely e.g. for a project where you wanted a high end pc build but also builds for lower end platforms using both.

9. wwWwwwW1

wwWwwwW1

Perhaps sending them a bug report?

I remember that FSR was backported to 2021.3 when it appeared in 2022.2, and maybe the just forgot the 2022.1.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  10. wwWwwwW1

wwWwwwW1

For anyone who is interested in DLSS in URP, don't forget to ask them directly in the coming SRP Dev Blitz Day.

moo1210 likes this.
  11. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

I wouldn't mind seeing URP just scrapped and all focus on HDRP that is scalable.. BIRP 2

Ekincan, Claytonious and kripto289 like this.
  12. Claytonious

Claytonious

Has anyone heard any news about this? I hate that DLSS requires HDRP right now.

SniperED007 likes this.
  13. djarcas

djarcas

FSR is in URP 12?

upload_2022-9-29_15-16-26.png

14. Claytonious

Claytonious

Yes, but this topic is about DLSS.

15. PutridEx

PutridEx

Claytonious likes this.
  16. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

ROBYER1 likes this.
  17. Claytonious

Claytonious

This is a thread about URP support for DLSS, in a URP forum, and you are chiming in again about your product but in your main thread about it you said "our current focus has been SRP and HDRP, URP support will be last."

(Whatever the heck "SRP and HDRP" is supposed to mean.)

And now you're here talking about adding DLSS into your product for URP? Will that be after your low priority effort for FSR 2.0 in URP?

18. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

As an asset store developer myself, I can understand why someone would want to do this implementation themselves first before Unity if they can sell it. I personally am waiting for out the box support and with these updates to FSR/DLSS it feels like the first and third-party implementations slip behind very quickly when we want to try these new features out unfortunately. Feels like we will be always behind with this stuff until that situation improves.

19. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

I‘m sorry we are having a miscommunication.

To clarify:
    When working on the FSR support, we noticed that implementing FSR and DLSS are both quite similar. So if there is a lot of interest in FSR and DLSS both, we might do the extra effort for DLSS.

About URP:
    In my FSR post, I say that the first release will have Built-in, HDRP and URP support. Since each implementation is quite different from eachother, we have to pick an order. So no one said URP has less priority.

SRP, Built-in, BIRP.
    Unity themselves have changed how they call the “legacy” renderer a few times. We as a studio called it the standard render pipeline internally. Hence the confusion.

I hope I cleared things up for you!

Well, generally we don’t sell our tools. But FSR 2.0 is something I believe can give devs an extra edge when creating projects in Unity. Unity will probably never be fast enough to implement all external assets and their updates.

When an asset is seriously good (Dynamic Bones, NGSS 2, etc). They will stay around for quite a while.
    Or you’d need to time to create it yourself(which is like 50% or more of your whole project dev time).

Myself, I’m really glad for the asset store. From time to time I suddenly find a true gem.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
    Roggi_ and ROBYER1 like this.