Search Unity

1. Get the latest news, tutorials and offers directly to your inbox with our newsletters. Sign up now.
    Dismiss Notice

URP Depth issue

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Phantom_X, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Phantom_X

Phantom_X

Hi,
    I want am having issue with depth intersection effect using URP.
    I get the correct result in editor ( top picture ) but when built on Android I get weird banding ( bottom picture )

here's the simplified version of the code

Code (CSharp):
    1. float pixelDepth = IN.screenCoord.z; // (ObjectToViewPos.z)
    2. float2 screenUV = IN.screenCoord.xy / IN.screenCoord.w; // ComputeScreenPos()
    3. float rawDepth = SAMPLE_TEXTURE2D(_CameraDepthTexture, sampler_ScreenTextures_linear_clamp, screenUV.xy);
    4. float depth = LinearEyeDepth(rawDepth, _ZBufferParams);
    6. float start = 0;
    7. float end = 0.5;
    8. float dist = ((depth - pixelDepth) - end) / (start - end);
    10. return saturate(dist);
    Am I doing something wrong?
    I'm using unity 2020.3.0 and URP 10.3.2

Thanks!

2. bgolus

bgolus

My guess is the android versions using a 16 bit depth buffer. If you can, push out the near clip on the camera. If that’s the problem, even a small amount might help a ton.

3. Phantom_X

Phantom_X

Hey,
    so I reduced the far clip plane and increased the near plane and it did help a lot indeed. Thanks for that!

In SRP you could declare your sampler like this sampler2D_float _CameraDepthTexture; and it would use full float precision data.

Any way to do that with the TEXTURE2D(_CameraDepthTexture); way of doing it?
    I found TEXTURE2D_FLOAT however the define is just the same as regular TEXTURE2D

Or is it really just 16bits buffer and higher precision sampler will no change anything? ( in my build settings I did check the 32bits buffer box )

thanks again!

4. bgolus

bgolus

I honestly don't understand what the point of the
    _float
    suffix on the
    sampler2D
    definitions are for, since in OpenGLES 3.0 and desktop all
    sampler2D
    s are float precision.

My guess is the issue isn't anything to do with the shader code, but rather Unity is creating the camera depth texture as a half precision depth texture on Android, regardless of what the system depth buffer is using. You'd need to use a gpu profiler (one for the device you're using, not Unity's) to find out if that's what's happening, and I have no idea how you would fix that if it is the issue.

Phantom_X likes this.
  5. bgolus

bgolus

Looks like
    sampler2D_float
    adds
    highp
    precision modifier in front of the
    sampler2D
    in the glsl. So it might do something on some platforms.

unityunity