Search Unity

URP depth and screen space shadow textures missing

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by jjxtra, Mar 21, 2020.

1. jjxtra

jjxtra

I just upgraded to Unity 2019.3.6 and the very latest URP 7.3.1 from package manager. I noticed my sky drawing over the top of everything, so I checked the frame debugger. Sure enough, the depth and screen space shadow generation are missing and don't seem to be anywhere in any step of the frame debugger. My _CameraDepthTexture texture is pure white.

Is there any guidance on how to fix this? This seems like a serious bug... hopefully I am just missing something, maybe you all renamed some shader variables or something?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  2. wzxxxa

wzxxxa

i have the same problem ,when i upgrade to 7.3.1,something wrong with shadow

3. BarryLee

BarryLee

I also encountered the same problem in Unity 2019.3.14 and URP 7.3.1.
    It seems that the ScreenSpaceShadowResolvePass is no longer executed.
    Cascaded soft shadows still work, but the shaders use _MainLightShadowmapTexture instead of _ScreenSpaceShadowmapTexture.

Is it a new feature or just a bug?

4. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

We unified shadow resolving in light space from 7.2.0, that means indeed ScreenSpaceShadows are not being used anymore and not necessary a depth pass is being generated. There's information added on the upgrade guide on how to sample shadows in light space for custom shaders.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...universal@7.3/manual/upgrade-guide-7-2-0.html

Having said that, we received some feedback about the removal of ScreenSpaceShadow is preventing developers to do custom shadows in URP. So we are looking into adding support to ScreenSpaceShadow as an option.

DawnPhoenix likes this.
  5. jjxtra

jjxtra

Volumetric shadows of any kind are impossible until they are added back.

DawnPhoenix likes this.
  6. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

URP 11
    • Added screen space shadow as renderer feature