Search Unity

URP black screen on some mobile phones

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by oseq, Apr 11, 2020.

1. oseq

oseq

Hello i am working on mobile game with URP. I was testing it on couple devices. There was no problem on almost all tested phones except Xiaomi mi 9. Game installed correctly but after running it only black screen appeard. I've found old post on reddit that suggested forcing OpenGL ES2 and removing support for Vulcan and OpenGL ES3 on Rendering Settings. It helped but also disabled all post effects in game (with openGL ES2 i had to switch to gamma color space).
    edit: did not disable post effects but gamma color space ruined them

Xiaomi mi9 is quite new phone, i was testing it on many much older phones like Samsung A5 2016 and there was no issue like this.

Other self-made Unity games that are using standard 3d setup are working on my friend's Xiaomi.

What is causing issues like this and how to handle it so i can run game with post processing working on all phones?

I suspect that this phone does not support Vulkan or OpenGL ES3.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    vasilii001 likes this.
  2. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Hi!
    Do you use the latest URP package?
    Which Unity version are you using?

3. oseq

oseq

Yes, i am using 7.3.1 URP package with Unity 2019.3.4f1
    What is important now i tested it and game works on this Xiaomi mi9 if i remove Vulkan so game is running on OpenGL ES3 and post processing works. Still: game will not run on default URP/Unity setup so with Vulkan included.

4. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Can you please report this bug so that we can investigate?

5. oseq

oseq

Ok, it done.

aleksandrk likes this.
  6. grox777

grox777

The problem really exists!

Samsung A51
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro
    HUAWEI Y5
    OPPO REALME 3
    Honor 9X

Here are just a few devices that have this issue.

oseq likes this.
  7. pbredow

pbredow

Any updates on this Unity?

8. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I'd recommend to update to Unity 2019.3.7, which is only a minor update. In this version you can download URP 7.4.1. This version includes a number of fixes for seemingly obscure issues.

I personally successfully tested a build (OpenGLES 3.0) on a number of devices last week. So it may fix the issue for you.

pbredow likes this.
  9. vasilii001

vasilii001

Hello gentlemen. I have the same problem. Did you find a solution?

10. Shaelle

Shaelle

Can you specify details? Namely, which Unity version are you using? I come here to check if the issue was fixed in some of the recent versions of Unity, but you comment implies that it is not.

11. vasilii001

vasilii001

Version 2019.4.28f1, 2020.3.12f1. For Unity technical support, I created a minimal test project in which the problem is 100% repeatable on Redmi9A. The peculiarity of this test project is the use of the TextMeshPro component. In our main project, a black screen on the URP occurs both when using TexMeshPro and when using the Text of UI components in world space.If we switch projects to OpengLES2, then the black screen disappears.

It was also experimentally established the following: If in the settings of the base camera switch "Opaйue texture" and "Deptр Texture" to "Off", then the black screen on Redmi9A disappears.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    Shaelle likes this.
  12. vasilii001

vasilii001

13. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

It was identified as a third party issue, what I don't understand is why it was then working for us before we updated from Unity 2020.3.26f to 2021.3.5f.

I'm not too fond of sticking with OpenGLES2 as a fix and the other fixes aren't viable for us. Did anyone find another solution?

14. ManueleB

ManueleB

Unity Technologies

the next 21.3 release will add a new option "Depth Texture Mode" to the Universal Renderer options. Setting depth texture mode to "Force Prepass" should fix this issue, with no need to change the API to GLES2 or force depth priming (which is very expensive on mobile)

Shaelle likes this.
  15. CassClay

CassClay

Sometimes this happens when URP is not properly set up for usage or migrated.

16. Drosph

Drosph

I had also this issue, and FINALLY found the solution which fixed it for me: Go to your Camera -> Environment -> and set "Background type" to "uninitialized".