Search Unity

URP and Collide with Depth Buffer doesn't work?

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by michalpiatek, Nov 12, 2021.

1. michalpiatek

michalpiatek

Since 2021.2 has a support for VFX graph and high end devices I tried making a simple particle system which collides with a depth buffer. I'm using URP, forward renderer with Depth and Normal buffers. When I added Collide With Depth Buffer to Update all particles vanished and this keeps spamming in the console:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader error in '[Sandstorm] [System] Update Particle': unrecognized identifier 'CameraBuffer' at kernel CSMain at Sandstorm.vfx(48) (on d3d11)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [Sandstorm] [System] Update Particle.compute: Kernel at index (0) is invalid
    Is this node not compatible with URP yet? Is there a list of URP compatibility somewhere?

2. gabriel-delacruz

gabriel-delacruz

Unity Technologies

Hi!
    Blocks that require reading from camera buffers (Position(Depth), Collide with Depth Buffer, etc) are not compatible with URP yet.
    Normally those blocks would do nothing, but they should compile fine. That error message is a bug which is being fixed (not sure if it reached the latest version).

3. michalpiatek

michalpiatek

Thanks for clarifying.

Is there any documentation with a list of nodes which are / aren't compatible with URP as of today? I really want to use it in some capacity but right now I don't have the confidence nodes which I need are supported.

4. Qriva

Qriva

For some reason there is no mention about comatability in docs and I am pretty sure there was before, strange... probably it was other node/page like this one.
    I think it would be helpful to add list of URP not compatible nodes on this page for example.

shikhrr likes this.
  5. shibi2017

shibi2017

Do we have a plan to add this feature to urp?

6. Marie_G

Marie_G

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    Yes we are planning to support this on URP, we had to wait for URP team to make the missing functionalities before being able to use it in VFX Graph on our side. Our part of the work on this matter should start soon. We can't give clear vision on how would this release tho, but it is being worked on.

Currently, we don't have it. I will see with documentation team if we can do something for this. I think the most probable option would be to specify on a feature doc page if this feature is limited to one SRP. Hopefully in the future, no feature would be limited to a specific SRP.

Alignment of features between HDRP and URP is one of our main focus in the future: to make sure that you don't loose options from one pipeline to an other.

Have a nice day!

7. anehta

anehta

I would like to ask if there has been any improvement on this issue up to now. The feature in question is theoretically a very simple one

pierre92nicot likes this.
  8. phanta_

phanta_

Any progress on this? I think many people are waiting for collision with depth buffer.

Edit: There was an update on the VFX Graph roadmap in January this year mentioning that this feature will be delayed: https://portal.productboard.com/uni...-access-to-urp-camera-depth-and-color-buffers

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    vk2135tf32f23f likes this.