Search Unity

URP and building for XBox consoles...extra package availability

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Snigros, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Snigros

Snigros

I have just released my first XBox/Windows 10 (UWP) game to the Microsoft Store (Arachnophobic Kyle) using Unity 2020.2.1f1 (and hence URP 10.2.2). The game performs quite well on a Windows 10 PC with a decent dedicated graphics card - but less well on an XBox One.

The URP documentation at: https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...versal@10.2/manual/Building-For-Consoles.html mentions:

To build a Project for the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, you need to install an additional package for each platform you want to support. The packages for each platform are: PlayStation 4: com.unity.render-pipelines.ps4, Xbox One: com.unity.render-pipelines.xboxone.

...you can find each package on its respective platform developer forum. The download link is in the same location as the Unity installer for that platform.

Questions:

1. What benefits does this extra package provide?
    2. I presume access to the "relevant platform developer forum" for the download (for Xbox One) is somehow associated with membership of the ID@Xbox Program....however is it possible to obtain it elsewhere (e.g. for us mere mortals that have to resort to the Creators Program ;-) ?.

Thanks,

S

2. Mal_Duffin

Mal_Duffin

I'm currently looking for the package myself, glad to hear I'm not the only one!

3. IElectric

IElectric

Same problem for me, my UWP videogame works well as built-in render pipeline but after upgrade to URP on XBOX ONE all is purple and on Windows 10 all is white, I don't know what to do, thank you, Cheers...

4. Twin-Stick

Twin-Stick

The documentation is referring to a build targeted to XBox One which requires a special sdk and access to a devkit.

Building for UWP is not the same thing as this, so don't hold hope for a magical addon to make it work

In my past experience - building for UWP for Xbox is a waste of time with 3d games (well, graphically demanding games anyway) due to the limitations on the resources offered in UWP
    (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/xbox-apps/system-resource-allocation)

I would ensure that the target graphics api is set to dx 12, and do a development build and connect your unity profiler to it running on the console and run frame debugger, step through each step to see if there's a particular part where things fall down. You may find everything is rendering perfectly fine up until the post process pass for example.

IElectric and Meceka like this.
  5. Mal_Duffin

Mal_Duffin

There was a bug with URP which was fixed, and I've since reported and had verified a final bug. This was for both XBox One URP and some older graphics cards.