Search Unity

URP 7.2.0

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by IMTactica, Feb 4, 2020.

1. IMTactica

IMTactica

Heya, folks. Any ETA on 7.2.0 or any info regarding its arrival?

Thanks!

2. xDenny8

xDenny8

so it should be this week

IMTactica likes this.
  3. IMTactica

IMTactica

4. Kiragan-Games

Kiragan-Games

Hello,

As i know there is no way to stack cameras for FPS games with 7.1.8, will it come with 7.2.0?

Regards

5. IMTactica

IMTactica

6. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

An update on this. We might have a slight delay of package release to next week due to an critical XR issue being found. A fix is being in the work atm.

7. xDenny8

xDenny8

damn.. its sad to hear that but it was expected

8. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Is there any more detail on what the XR issue is? So far it has been things like Multi Pass being used instead of Multiview/Single pass due to a check failing. MSAA and Depth/Opaque texture issues on Oculus Quest/Go. Also Vulkan Multiview is in a very unstable state in 2020.1 alpha 21 using both Built-in and URP.

I have spent hours logging bugs for these issues.

ThomasZeng and Dragnipurake97 like this.
  9. saifshk17

saifshk17

Do you think with URP 7.2.0 there will be a fix with Multi-Pass (Both eyes to render)?

10. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

Yes multipass is fixed in 7.2.0

11. Gokcan

Gokcan

@phil_lira isnt it supposed to be released today?

12. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Yes, but they still have time, if they mean Monday (before midnight in US time)?

13. saifshk17

saifshk17

Anything yet?

14. erikabar

erikabar

Unity Technologies

Hey! 7.2.0 is in promotion process and it's going to be available very soon.

15. saifshk17

saifshk17

Awesome! Can't wait.

16. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Looks like it's now available in the Package Manager, at least in 2019.3.0f6

17. ShockpointGames

ShockpointGames

Has AO been added in this release? It’s quite an essential PP effect.

transat and ROBYER1 like this.
  18. saifshk17

saifshk17

19. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

Package 7.2.0 is published!

20. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

We are working on AO atm. It's not yet released. I apologize for the long wait.

cxode, transat, Elvar_Orn and 3 others like this.
  21. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks for this major release!

22. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

@phil_lira We are experiencing a plethora of XR issues in this new release already, why is the right eye overlapped/split up on Android VR using Oculus Quest/Go? Spotted by @fherbst

23. saifshk17

saifshk17

Unfortunately that is not the only issue. It still has a problem with Oculus Quest. Multi-Pass is now rendering in both eyes but the camera jitter is still there. The jitter was not there when only one eye was rendering (Left Eye-MultiPass with URP 7.1.8). (Unity 2019.3.0f6)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    ROBYER1 likes this.
  24. ThomasZeng

ThomasZeng

Unity Technologies

Hey @ROBYER1, I am not aware of the right eye overlapped/split up issue when working on URP XRSDK. This is something new. Could you file a bug about this so we can take a look? Thank you!

Regarding your other XR questions:
    Oculus Quest/Go MSAA: We had a fix that should land soon. Undergoing QA right now.
    Depth/Opaque texture issues on Oculus Quest/Go: We had a fix for particle distortion when camera opaque is in use. Undergoing QA right now.

phil_lira likes this.
  25. andrin2020

andrin2020

Happy to see camera stacking made it into the URP. Any timeline for when the Camera Stacking system will work with the 2D Renderer?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  26. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

@ThomasZeng thankyou for the response on this
    The Depth/Opaque texture issue was causing UI and Depth/Opaque pass using Shader graphs to not show in builds- reported at Case 1188127 can you confirm this was fixed?
    There was a test put in place for it using this PR here which you can use to check too but I assume this would catch it?
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/pull/4803

The right eye overlapped was produced in a bug report from @fherbst from back in May 2019 which was ShaderGraphs that use texture arrays are broken, I will chase him for a case ID.
    There is a repro here on github https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/pull/5219#issuecomment-584649950
    The issue is also mentioned here by @daves https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/xr-oculus-quest-vulkan-multiview-mode-fails

The following were reported prior to 7.2.0 however using the master branch a few days before release of 7.2.0, both are complete show-stoppers if not fixed anyway!
    (Case 1215378) [XR][Vulkan][URP][Multiview] Left eye is rendered grey while the right eye is black
    (Case 1215369) [XR][Vulkan][Multiview][Oculus Quest] Views for both eyes are rendered in the left eye and the right eye is black

Also, @phil_lira it would be great to have a response here regarding a Final Blit pass that breaks FFR (Fixed Foveated Rendering) on Android VR, it seems unfair to expect developers for mobile VR to have to create their own pipeline just to avoid the blit pass on UniversalRP when it isn't an issue on built-in render pipeline. Why does the new Universal RP Camera Stacking feature need a Final Blit when built in renderer doesn't need it? Link:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/fin...-killing-perf-on-android.737972/#post-5469459

We are so close to having Vulkan with Multiview running as expected on Quest/Go while using UniversalRP - keep up the great work and I will do my best to help squash all these nasty bugs before my release deadline so that I can use all these lovely new features.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  27. fherbst

fherbst

You're asking me for URP / XR related case numbers? o_O:D
    The one you're referring to is (Case 1201706) and I recently followed up on that with (Case 1218714) because it's still broken.

I ordered the below ones by what their impact is on our work. @ThomasZeng @phil_lira I think that's a good summary of still-happening issues. It looks like a lot but I also have to say you slayed a bazillion bugs in the last months :). Getting there!

URP and XR
    Blockers:
    (Case 1162526) [LWRP] Shadow map clears particles in Single Pass VR
    Major:
    (Case 1218714) [URP][XR][ShaderGraph] Shader using Texture Arrays does not compile when building, prevents build
    (Case 1201706) [ShaderGraph] Compilation Errors on shader that uses IsFrontFacing and Texture Array

Related discussions:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/pull/4948#issuecomment-559534749
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/pull/4788#issuecomment-545195183

URP in general:
    Blockers:
    (Case 1189556) [URP] Performance regression: Particle shader does not use PROCEDURAL_INSTANCING anymore
    Major:
    (Case 1217297) [URP][Vulkan][XR] Crash on pressing play when using Vulkan on Windows Desktop
    Minor:
    (Case 1201705) [ShaderGraph] Number of compiled Shader Variants is off by more than an order of magnitude

Built-in XR has also seen it's fair share of regressions in 2019.3, but that's probably more something for @daves:
    (Case 1217594) [XR][Postprocessing] Bloom is affecting region behind Occlusion Mesh
    (Case 1217591) [XR][Postprocessing] SSR is incorrect in VR
    (Case 1217587) [XR] Deferred rendering is broken in Single-Pass Instanced
    (Case 1217585) [XR][Postprocessing] Grey screen when using PostProcessing in Single-Pass Instanced
    (Case 1217583) [XR][PostProcessing] PostProcessing misalignment when using Single Pass

ROBYER1 likes this.
  28. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

29. ThomasZeng

ThomasZeng

Unity Technologies

Thanks @ROBYER1 and @fherbst ,

URP XR is focusing on bug fixes in this sprint. I will coordinate with URP team to get these fixes into next couple 19.3 URP releases.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    ROBYER1 likes this.
  30. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Thanks Thomas, are there any plans for 2020.1 support too?

31. Tudor_n

Tudor_n

Updating to 7.2.0 from 7.1.8, killed rendering, on Android ( for us ). Still debugging this right now.
    Nothing renders past the Unity Splash Screen. Just a heads up.

Slimming down our project as I type this.

32. erikabar

erikabar

Unity Technologies

Does it happen on a specific Android device or all devices? What graphics API are you on?
    Please report a bug once you strip down the project and post your case number here so we could take a look

33. Tudor_n

Tudor_n

34. erikabar

erikabar

Unity Technologies

Tudor_n likes this.
  35. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

When we fix bugs we fix them first on the 20.1 branch then backport to the other branches. So it's normally fixed on the newer code before the older (even if we don't release a new package in that order).

36. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Am mainly asking due to this response from the Graphics XR Lead, it made me wonder if I made a mistake sticking to 2020.1 for the latest tech alpha features as 2019.3 has Vulkan FFR working while 2020.1 doesn't yet (somehow). I always thought newest releases had the latest changes which are backported which doesn't seem to be the case this time somehow?

"please stick with 2019.3 for the time being. There are some architectural changes (specifically dealing with Vulkan render passes) in the engine in 2020.1 that have are currently affecting all the goodies you want: Vulkan, multiview, and FFR on Quest. Please hang with us for the moment, and I'll let you know when to start kicking the tires on 2020."

https://forum.unity.com/threads/fix...-quest-not-working.686662/page-3#post-5442786

37. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Ah so that is something different. Speaking specifically for the package workflow what I said is right. When taken in conjunction with large changes that touch unity.exe it can be more rough. Lets say a new XR framework or something is added. It might be some time before it's landed and working properly in the URP 20.1 supported branch. With the 19.3 version it's been cooking much longer and the engine isn't changing so much (mostly bug fixing) 20.1 has full features landing so it can lead to more instability and fallout.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  38. DiveshNaidoo

DiveshNaidoo

I am using a render feature for SSAO in URP, with 7.2.0 the render feature still works in the editor but has no effect in the build. I am building to iOS.

phil_lira likes this.
  39. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

We haven't seen an issue about render features not working in iOS. We will need a bugfix with a repro case to investigate this further.

40. DiveshNaidoo

DiveshNaidoo

I've attached the SSAO render feature. Building with 7.1.8 works fine but not with 7.2.0. To reproduce, I am using Unity 2019.3.0f6. Add the render feature in a clean project. Create a blank scene with two objects that show off the SSAO effect in editor and build to device.

Attached Files:

• SSAO.zip
      File size:
      170.7 KB
      Views:
  41. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

Could you submit this as a bug report in our system? This is so that our QA do triage and get more info.

42. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

@DiveshNaidoo that zip does not contain your entire project, just the effect. In your project do you have "require depth" enabled in the pipeline asset or in the camera? There was an issue that post-processing was always requiring depth, so now in 7.2.0 if you need depth texture for AO you have to require it. For more details check this upgrade guide to 7.2.0

DiveshNaidoo likes this.
  43. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

44. thetnswe

thetnswe

upload_2020-2-14_16-3-35.png

Package 7.2.0 is still not showing up in my package manager.. What should I do? I am using Unity 2019.3.0f3..

45. Arfus

Arfus

Upgrade to 2019.3.0f6.

thetnswe and ROBYER1 like this.
  46. thetnswe

thetnswe

Just upgraded to 2019.3.0f6 but still not showing up. I even tried Unity 2020.1a and not showing up even in that project :(

47. thetnswe

thetnswe

EDIT : After restarting the Unity, Trying to create a new project from scratch again! And then open the previous project and now 7.2.1 is showing in package manager. Thanks alot :)

reelie and Arfus like this.
  48. DiveshNaidoo

DiveshNaidoo

That was the issue, thanks.

49. TheVirtualMunk

TheVirtualMunk

Just making sure we're talking about the same issue here:

I'm trying to get MSAA working on the quest as well without luck.

Unity 2019.3.1f1.

Tried both URP 7.2.1 and 7.1.8.

I'm using the "legacy" (aka the working) XR plugins from the asset store (OVR) and package manager.

Tried both Single Pass and Multi Pass stereo rendering with low overhead mode and V2 Signing.

On the URP asset;
    -MSAA: 8x
    -Render Scale: 1
    -no depth or opaque texture

The OVR Manager;
    use recommended MSAA Level: false

Using the CenterEyeAnchor camera;
    Object Tagged MainCamera
    Renderer set to 0: ForwardRenderer
    Post Processing: false
    Anti-Aliasing: none
    Opaque Texture: Use Pipeline Settings
    Depth Texture: Use Pipeline Settings
    HDR: Use Pipeline Settings
    MSAA: Use Pipeline Settings

I'm doing this in my gamemanager:

Code (CSharp):
    1. /// <summary>
    2.     /// Setting overrides that doesn't work correctly or is not available in the unity editor GUI.
    3.     /// </summary>
    4.     private void Start()
    5.     {
    6.         QualitySettings.vSyncCount = 0;
    7.         Application.targetFrameRate = -1;
    8.         StartCoroutine("MSAAFix");
    9.         QualitySettings.antiAliasing = 4;
    10.         UnityEngine.XR.XRDevice.UpdateEyeTextureMSAASetting();
    11.         Debug.LogError(UnityEngine.XR.XRSettings.eyeTextureDesc.msaaSamples);
    12.     }
    14.     /// <summary>
    15.     /// Fixes MSAA not being applied in VR with URP. Taken from; https://forum.unity.com/threads/quest-lwrp-urp-msaa-not-working.786026/
    16.     /// </summary>
    17.     /// <returns></returns>
    18.     IEnumerator MSAAFix()
    19.     {
    21.         UnityEngine.XR.XRSettings.eyeTextureResolutionScale = 0.5f; // Any value, just to trigger the refresh
    22.         yield return new WaitForEndOfFrame(); // Needed to apply the changes
    23.         UnityEngine.XR.XRSettings.eyeTextureResolutionScale = 1f; // Use your target resolution here
    24.         Debug.LogError("after: " + UnityEngine.XR.XRSettings.eyeTextureDesc.msaaSamples);
    25.         yield return null;
    26.     }
    Both logs of UnityEngine.XR.XRSettings.eyeTextureDesc.msaaSamples shows 1.

Is this bug acknowledged / worked on? Is there a temporary fix I can apply?

P.S.
    I noticed that in URP 7.2 when disabling Post Processing on the camera, the Anti-Aliasing option is not hidden, where in 7.1.8 it hides it.

EDIT:
    For anyone with MSAA issues, go here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/quest-lwrp-urp-msaa-not-working.786026/page-2
    Got it working today - together with FFR.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020