Search Unity

Bug URP 14.0.4 Rendering Layers are totally broken

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by larsbertram1, Nov 29, 2022.

1. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

as soon as i enable rendering layers (in the "URP-HighFidelity" asset in a new and "empty" project) lighting goes nuts and point lights e.g. will not affect any object when using forward or forward+.
    also the ui of the light component is broken: selecting "rendering layers" -> "everything" will set it to "nothing". manually activating all layers will set it to "nothing" as well.

it used to work in beta 14 i think...

renderingLayers.PNG

2. wwWwwwW1

wwWwwwW1

By the way, this also exists in latest URP 15. (2023.1.a20)

3. Jar_Coding

Jar_Coding

I can confirm that this is broken in 2022.2f1 too. Looks like GetMeshRenderingLayer in Lighting.hlsl does not get any infos about the rendering layers of the mesh. After deleting the following line I get the light correctly but unfortunately without the layer feature. :rolleyes:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (IsMatchingLightLayer(light.layerMask, meshRenderingLayers)
    Coming from 2021.3 the feature worked as excepted.

In short: the whole section here in the documentation Rendering Layers | Universal RP | 14.0.4 (unity3d.com) does not work :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  4. fendercodes

fendercodes

Renderering Layers are broken for me too in Unity 2022.2.0f1. How could they let that slip through the cracks! They do work for a Directional Light but not Point or Spot. Has anyone submitted a bug for this yet?

5. Jar_Coding

Jar_Coding

I submitted a bug report for this today ;)

6. fendercodes

fendercodes

Nice. Link it here when you can!

7. DEEnvironment

DEEnvironment

nice to see we are not alone on this one

i also noticed in render layers has issues with additional lights color temperature in that the temp color leaks thru into all render layers not getting masked

8. MustardBoy

MustardBoy

it work with "Deferred", but not with "Forward" and "Forward+"

WorkDeferred.jpg

9. ChrisJohnson

ChrisJohnson

Does anyone know if this has been fixed yet? I’m using 2022.2.3f1 with URP/deferred rendering, and there doesn't seem any way for me to get light layers to work.

10. KimmoFactor

KimmoFactor

ChrisJohnson likes this.
  11. peterbay

peterbay

Unity Technologies

fendercodes and ChrisJohnson like this.
  12. ChrisJohnson

ChrisJohnson

Nice, that will be great!

13. Sir_Mallory

Sir_Mallory

Glad to hear this about the lights! But in Unity 2022.4, there's a similar issue in the URP renderer. In Filtering, when I try to click on the opaque or transparent layer mask and then I deselect a layer, the corresponding gameobject keeps on being rendered unless it's on Default layer, throwing the error "IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array."
    I don't know if it's a bug or a mistake of mine.

14. fragilecontinuum

fragilecontinuum

I don't know if it's a related issue, but after upgrading my project from 2021.3 to 2022.2, any existing System.Flags enums (which I personally was using in ScriptableObjects) could no longer be set to anything other than Nothing or Everything in the inspector panel, though the existing value has been retained regardless. Creating new Flags enums works fine, so it's a bit of a weird one.

15. ChrisJohnson

ChrisJohnson

DannyBoyOnline likes this.
  16. DannyBoyOnline

DannyBoyOnline

Having same issue and shadows not working properly either for any directional lights since upgrading. Have upvoted your bug report.

17. ChrisJohnson

ChrisJohnson

Is there any estimate of when light layer culling masks will be fixed?

I also can’t use the new rendering layers either because changing a lights renderingLayerMask doesn't seem to work.

I tried both:

light.renderingLayerMask = 2;

and

light.renderingLayerMask = 1 << 2;

but neither work

trombonaut likes this.
  18. slippyfrog

slippyfrog

OMG. this still feels broken (I'm running Mac using Metal). @those who reported only observing this on on OpenGL targets -- should I switch over to OpenGL (from Metal) to resolve this issue or will/has that been deprecated?

having lights on different rendering layers seems to result in undefined behaviour. Realtime Shadows do not seem to renderer for certain lights (I only have two lights in my scene that cast shadows) when I have two lights, one on each rendering layer. if I jack up the intensity on the second light, then shadows start rendering. if I disable one of the lights , then shadows casting on the second rendering layer seem to render.

I feel that rendering layers extremely powerful feature and it is important to continue work in Unity to decouple Rendering Layers from GameObject Layers/Physics Object layer. When I refactored my game to use rendering layers to partition lighting, I assumed that the feature is working.. it is perplexing that it is included in a stable, support branch if it is not functionality correctly.

Any movement on the resolution of this???

Gasimo likes this.
  19. bisewski

bisewski

Did you find a way to use it? I am using the last release .26f1 and rendering layers in Android keep isnt working.
    Only in editor mode.
    My issue is with Decals...