Search Unity

[url]www.unitydeveloper.com[/url]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Superflat, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Superflat

Superflat

Hello,

I signed up for a 1 year subscription @ www.unitydeveloper.com ages ago but haven't gotten a single issue since. Does anybody know what the deal is with the magazine?

Is it possible to get my $50,- back in case this died a silent death? Which is a shame i might add although 3D Attack offers a very good replacement.

2. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

that site looks ominous... :-0

3. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

That magazine is dead, they should really remove the website. Search the forums here for past threads and you'll see that the last issue was published over a year ago. Email Charles Hinshaw (the publisher) for a refund, he now works for Unity Tech.

4. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

I bought a years sub, but only received 3 issues.

Not sure what's happening with it these days.

5. CCS

CCS

ordered a back issue four months ago, never got it, and no response to multiple emails.

6. Superflat

Superflat

I had sent a pm on the forum ages ago but have yet to receive a reply. Does anyone have a mail adres?

7. tatelax

tatelax

8. Superflat

Superflat

I had sent a PM to Charles Hinshaw on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:29 am

No reply to date.

9. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I will contact Charles directly and ask him to reply to this thread.

10. Superflat

Superflat

Hi,

Any update on this?

11. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

This does look pretty bad. And unfortunately, it does reflect on Unity.

I think my company only received one issue.

12. Bootstrap Bill

Bootstrap Bill

Try reporting this to your credit card company. They should reverse the charges.

13. Superflat

Superflat

I used Paypal i'm afraid, this including shipping to the Netherlands.

14. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I'd keep sending him emails and PM's. He's a remote employee working for Unity Tech, so you might be able to contact him by emailing his boss (David H.). I guess I should consider myself fortunate, I bugged him for a refund well over a year ago (and got it) when it had only been a year since the magazine's last issue. It's now, what, over two years since the last issue? It seems to me that how Charles is handling this really tarnishes both his and Unity's reputations.

15. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Why do people keep associating the magazine with Unity Technologies. Charles started making the magazine long before he worked at UT. And please don't contact Unity's CEO with an issue that is totally unrelated to him. I will ping Charles and see why he's not replying.

16. flaminghairball

flaminghairball

Maybe because it's called 'Unity Developer?'
    I mean, I understand why you shouldn't be… But anyone who sees the title would naturally assume that it's associated with UT.

Best wishes,

-Lincoln Green

17. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

:-/

The author of the magazine seem very irresponsible for wasting people's money, but I would have believe it's obvious unity.com doesn't have anything to do with them. Just because a magazine talks about unity, I don't see why anyone would just assume they're being released by unity itself, if it were, it would be found at unity.com, right?

18. zergmouse

zergmouse

When I see a magazine called Advanced Photoshop I assume Adobe makes it. Same with seeing a magazine with Unity in the title, I would assume Unity makes it.

But it has been made abundantly clear that Unity has nothing to do with the magazine. So I would suggest Unity ask their now employee to remove the old defunct website and tell him to respond to the complaints. Otherwise, yes this could reflect bad on Unity due to name association alone. Even though it is not Unity's place to do that I think it would help overall.

19. fivearchers

fivearchers

Also when I subscribed there was a direct link from the main Unity website, as far as I knew this was affiliated with Unity.

So where can we go for a refund anyways? 3 issues is not acceptable, at first it was delays, then it was going to have electronic releases, now silence.

20. zumwalt

zumwalt

Interesting, I not longer remember what I paid for but I got the "unity generals v1.1" thing back when it was available, thought i got 1 issue from that alone but I can't find the actual magazine in pdf on my machine *shrugs* the system doesn't recognize my emails either for viewing it digitally online, probably my issue, most likely a different system than what I bought that magazine issue, was looking forward to the articles.

I would just bug him about it if I were you, going to keep scouring my machine and see if I got anything other than the download for the content, dang seriously I can't remember if the magazine copy came in PDF at the time I got that piece.

21. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

Well, at the time most of us ordered it, it was endorsed by UT on the official website.

22. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

O _o; But... there are bizillions of advanced, intermediate and beginner photoshop tutorials all over the world! You think adobe made them ALL? that's crazy talk!

... yes, I said bizillions! you read it righ! :p

The only reason I'd believe Adobe is responsible for a magazine or tutorial or whatever, is if it has Adobe logo on it, that's what logos are for, after all. And that's why its a big deal to steal logos!

Although, if it's been on the web site, as winningguy said, then that explains a lot of the confusion..

23. Superflat

Superflat

Hi,

Sorry to bump this, but it's been over 2 weeks since i heard from Charles Hinshaw, could anyone over at Unity3d poke him?

24. gabrick

gabrick

It sounds like Charles is pulling a Solomon Obstfeld and disappearing with his fortune of magazine money, lets hope he doesn't end up the same way.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  25. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

You might want to read the thread.

26. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I'm really sorry to hear this. I'm really glad I took action on this when I did. I don't know if he is a legally registered business, but if he is, you can file a complaint with the state attorney general's office and the Better Business Bureau. You might even be able to file a small claims action against him but the filing fee is likely more than what he owes you. I believe if you check "whois" and his web address you will find his home/business mailing address. He also has a blog someplace that said he still lives in the US but was currently working at Unity Tech's main office. Good luck.

27. andeeeee

andeeeee

I'll contact Charles again with a link to the thread.

28. Superflat

Superflat

I've had contact with Charles 2 weeks ago and he reversed the payment and offered to send me the 3 magazines as an apolagy which was a greta gesture.. except that the payment was made to the wrong paypal adres and i haven't heard from him since.

29. movi

movi

Hey, Can you all get that the money is lost and we won't be seeing any magazines. I ordered that too and .. well, if Unity 3D doesn't want to protect its IP and anyone can do something like this to mock this product then go ahead, not my IP. I received two first magazines, after that nothing. I'm little bit disappointed. Damn I've been hoaxed. Well, I won't be spending more money on some random Unity 3rd party stuff. Lesson learned.

You know, next time when you will see that guy you can yell "RUN, LOCK YOUR DOORS, CHECK YOUR KEYS, WATCH OUT FOR THAT GUY, HE IS A THIEF."

ps. I'm pissed off and I wanted to get some steam out, won't be ranting more about this.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  30. Spookytooth

Spookytooth

Just now finding all this out. We've been too busy as of late to realize we hadn't received our issue from an order back in the Summer. That being said, we were briefly confusing 3D Attacks magazine with Unity Developer. Tavy at 3D Attack was kind enough to remind us that we were not on his list from Summer orders, but did send us a September digital issue. We will be getting our subscription from the 3D Attack guys. BTW, their zine is http://www.3dattack.us/3DAttack/Magazine.html

31. Snoopy

Snoopy

I also just received one issue, after waiting for a long time. Since then - nothing - and I really would like to have the rest of my money back. I am really disappointed that it happened. I trusted the link on this site, but it's not the fault of the Unity staff. Unfortunately, they can not do anything about it. :-(

32. romaing

romaing

I am still waiting for a part refund from Charles Hinshaw...

33. aaron-parr

aaron-parr

It is disappointing that this magazine disappeared. Thankfully I still have the three pdfs and two prints.

34. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

You guys know he works for the Unity HQ now right?

Linkedin profile:

Charles Hinshaw
    Creative Director at Unity Technologies
    January 2011 – Present (8 months)
    http://dk.linkedin.com/in/charleshinshaw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.