Search Unity

[url]WWW.error[/url] confusion

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by ratamorph, Apr 24, 2008.

1. ratamorph

ratamorph

I'm trying to load a remote image for a texture but in case the URL is not correct, no internet conection, etc, I want to use a local backup texture.

He's the code I'm using to acomplish this, the problem is that if the image url is correct but it's not a jpg or a png the error seems to stay at null and I get the red question mark.

Code (csharp):
    2. remoteTexture = new WWW(remoteTextureURL);
    3. yield remoteTexture;
    6. if(remoteTexture.error)
    7. {
    8.    useRemoteTexture = false;
    9.    finalTexture = texture;
    10. }
    11. else
    12. {
    13.    useRemoteTexture = true;
    14.    finalTexture = remoteTexture.texture;
    15. }
    How do I change this in order to use the backup texture in this case?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The only way I've found to handle this is something like

Code (csharp):
    1. if (remoteTexture.error || (remoteTexture.texture.width == 8  remoteTexture.texture.height == 8)) {
    Since the question mark thingy is a 8x8 texture. Granted, this is a hack (what if you really want to use a valid 8x8 texture for some reason, or what if UT changes the size of the question mark?), so hopefully someone has a better idea....

--Eric

3. ratamorph

ratamorph

Thanks Eric, that's quite a hack but it works for me now, I hope they change WWW.error so it reports non supported image formats as errors.

4. Marc

Marc

I use kinda the same hack and its really ugly simply put it means that one cant use 8x8 textures. I have made a feature request to UT that the function be made to return null instead of the texture. Sometimes making things "Just work" is taking the error auto fixing to far. I do belive that the developers who makes the download textures script should handle what happens if they get a 404 error and not unity, although admittedly it is convenient sometimes to see the question mark, but i would much rather code it my self and have a null value instead.