Search Unity

[url]http://www.mochiads.com/[/url] for UNITY ?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by EducaSoft, Nov 13, 2007.

1. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Hi there,

Today I discovered the website of MochiAds and this system looks promising for Flash developers.

Is there anyone who knows if something similar exists which could be usable for unity developers ?

Maybe a little hint to TOM (Higgy).
    Would it make sense to try (as a product evangelist) to persuade these people to have something for unity developers also, since unity is clearly becoming a player on the market which they can't look around anymore?

2. shaun

shaun

I was with Jameson and Bob from Mochimedia just a couple of days ago when they came to Seoul for G-Star. Their business model is really well done - One game was getting 300,000 hits a day IIRC - they take 50/50 on Ad revenue. The flash devs just insert a small script in the start of their game which grabs the ads from their server - they break down which sites are serving your game and provide loads of other stats. They are not focusing on 3D games at the moment, but they are interested.

Tom - Do you remember I told you about Jared, the guy in SF who was looking for DirectX experts, he's sharing an office with Mochi - small world ;)

3. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

I'd be also very interested in this Mochi / Unity combination. Would be awesome if this could work together.

4. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

If unity could embed a flash movie, then it would immediately be possible, but I don't think unity tech will do that (for some obvious reasons not to include competitors code in your own stuff).

Maybe somebody has luck negotiating for this? Anyone, Ahum (Tom?), really nobody ???

5. shaun

shaun

I already mentioned Unity to the Mochi guys when they came to my office - they are pretty busy on other things right now, but they were interested. I think you would need solve the adverts being completely embedded inside Unity for it to work. Bob is a technical wiz, so he might have some suggestions.

6. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Hey guys, sorry I've been MIA but I spent Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday making my way back to SF from Copenhagen (stopping for one last night in Paris :p).

I definitely think it's a good idea for us to reach out to the folks at Mochi, consider that on my short-list of to do items.

Shaun: yup, I remember that, small world indeed.

7. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Thanks Tom,

This would be nice since at this moment its not that easy to include some ads in our games, but I guess its a ver valued feature for webgame developers to be able to release a game, let everybody steal it for their website and still get revenues for it.

8. proparjak

proparjak

I just found this topic. We'd be interested too by a compatibility with MochiAds (flash embedded in Unity ? another technique ?).

I'm happy to know it's in your short list, Tom.
    Thank you ^^

9. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Yeah, Any idea how short your list is Tom ?

Its 1 month ago. Any new news or still on list?
    I did mail mochi myself and to me they said they were not interested in doing anything else then flash, but you are the evangelist and I"m only 1 customer.

Kind regards,

Bart

10. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Sorry y'all, no news but it is definitely still on my list.

11. proparjak

proparjak

Have you heard news about Adscape Media ?
    It was a game advertising compagny which was bought by Google to complete Adwords service.

It had to be out in this december but no news. It seemed to be a real good tool for independant studios.

I had a link : http://www.google.com/press/annc/annc_adscape.html

12. MentalFish

MentalFish

Personally I would really like to see text based AdSense advertising inside Unity (as dynamic clickable textures), since it would´nt necessarily be so intrusive as picture ads of a car in a fantasy themed game, or a "get free smileys here" in a sci-fi game.

Those splash-screen ads should work for a lot of small casual games, but I really would´nt like those get-smileys-here-spam-ish ads as the first thing people would see in my games.

Perhaps it would be possible to transfer the data of an Adsense ad thats in the browser somewhere, into Unity via some JavaScript-black-magic? Just send the text and url´s and build clickable textures out of it.

13. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

At this moment its certainly not permitted by adsense.

And I can understand your point of view regarding smiley-ads and such, but I do think that they are mostly interested in graphical adds.

For example if you make a soccer game, you could then show ads on the side panels, or if making a racing game there could be billboards around the track.

It all depends on what type of game your really make and indeed some types of games won't be very suitable. Not for gfx adds but also not for text adds.

Its all a coiche for the developer...

14. spawrks

spawrks

I havent tackled it yet, but in game advertising is definitely something I'm hoping to pursue in my project as well.

I'm all for the billboards inside a game, I think its a neat way to advertise without annoying the user, especially if you can damage the advertisement in game =)

15. andeeeee

andeeeee

While we're on the subject, I think it might be useful to have a forum based around publishing options for Unity developers, which revenue-sharing sites accept Unity games, etc. It would surely be helpful to have that information all in one searchable place. Failing that, perhaps a blog or a web page with a list of sites and publishers.

16. spawrks

spawrks

*bump* that last comment!

17. copenhagenjazz

copenhagenjazz

I would love to see that too :)[/code]

18. benblo

benblo

*bump* the publishing forum idea!

19. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Bumping too. That would super make sense.

20. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

21. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

FYI, even without all the recent bumps the suggestion of having a publishing focused forum area makes sense to me.

Feel free to keep on bumpin' until we open such a forum though...

22. podperson

podperson

Advertisers would love to know which of their ads get defaced ;-)

23. Thomas-Lund

Thomas-Lund

Just found this plugin:

http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=HtmlTexturePlugin

Wouldnt it be possible to include e.g. Mochi ads through something like this on startup?

Main issue would be to redirect the clicks on the ad to a new tab/window.

Anyone tried this?

-----

Edit - read now that its Mac only. So not a solution out of the box. But with Windows support it could be useful for some ad program for free games.

24. benblo

benblo

Unfortunately a plugin won't do you any good in a webplayer, as you can't use DLLs for security reasons.

Solutions similar to Mochiads are taking shape, but specialized in ingame advertising, in which case they mainly serve images and movies (no problem streaming that in Unity). Very few game engines support Flash anyway so it's not a standard in this branch.

Otherwise... just focus on around-game advertising.

25. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

That's not quite accurate. You can use C#/.NET DLLs just fine in all Unity content, including web players. What you cannot use in web players are C/C++ Plugins and the HTML Texture Plugin is just such a beast (so you're right in that it can't be used in web player content).

For in-game ads you'll need to focus on retrieving dynamic JPG/PNG images or Ogg Theora videos for use at run-time. Both of those can be retrieved (in the case of the video it will be streamed) and then used as a texture within your Unity content.

26. benblo

benblo

Wow. I wasn't aware of that! Thanks a bunch for the info, that may help me a lot: an advertiser gave me the possibility of retrieving ads using a .NET DLL or directly via his webservice... although with Visual Studio accessing a webservice isn't that big a deal, it may still save me the trouble.

I don't really get the politic of this differentiation: what kind of damage can you do with a C++ plugin that you can't with a managed plugin, would you care to elaborate?

27. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

A C/C++ plugin has much greater system access and as such could easily violate the browser security model and expose the end user to significant risk. Whether that involves scanning/reading arbitrary local files, access to their system files and local drive, etc.

28. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Toù,

Is unity actively trying to get any possible deal with some inline advertising publisher to help uw developers gain some $$$ with inline advertising ?

I don't think it makes sense for us as individuals to contact guys like mochiads ourselves. Could be far better if somebody of UT could do that.

Also I heard GOOGLE would come on this market too ?

Anything planned or on its way ?

Regards,

Bart

29. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Any news about the mochiads integration?

TIA,
    R.

30. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

We've been in touch with a few parties behind the scenes but there's nothing to share just yet.

31. potan

potan

sorry to bump an old thread,

Is there any news about integrating MochiAds to a Unity Web game ?
    Or is there "any alternative" beside using mochiads for unity web game ?

also Mochimedia introduced Mochi Coins lately
    http://www.mochimedia.com/coins/
    which is a cool feature to handle microtransaction.

If Unity support this, it will be Awesome :wink:

32. benblo

benblo

33. RElam

RElam

Would it be possible to have the unity player just be hidden while an add is playing in the same place? My browser knowledge is weak at the moment, but that would require no direct unity implementation, if possible, just some ability to hide unity and be notified when ad is complete (like running ads in loading screens and such could be nice). Wouldn't help for full-screen stuff, but still, maybe the more knowledgeable folk could weigh-in.