Search Unity

Urgent: Using Unity3d Assets in Apps that I sell and transfer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Colbyh, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Colbyh

Colbyh

I read that I may use assets in Unity3d's Asset Store for personal and commercial use. If I decide to sell my app, is that then infringement or allowed?

Thank you,

Colby

2. Acissathar

Acissathar

That is the whole point of the asset store. The one thing you can't do is buy an asset and then sell said asset (e.g. I can't buy Pro Builder and then resell Pro Builder, but I can sell a game where I used Pro Builder)

Edit: I missed the transfer part. I don't believe you can buy an asset and then sell the source containing that asset without the receiving party buying their own license.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

If you are making the apps for hire and providing source code then both you and buyer must have a license.

On the other hand if you are selling the compiled binary apps, like on the app store or steam or whatever then you are good to go. The whole point of the asset store is that the assets can be used in games you make.

4. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I assume you mean sell the source code including all assets?

I suspect its not allowed.

Kiwasi likes this.
  5. Colbyh

Colbyh

Thank you for your replies.

I'm still confused. Can I sell a game to another app portfolio investor that I have uploaded to the App Store or Google Play which contains an asset from Unity's store? I'm looking for a definitive answer; something legally binding.

Kind regards,

Colby

6. Colbyh

Colbyh

7. Colbyh

Colbyh

@JamesLeeNZ No, not the source code. Just transfer the app for a price to another developer account.

8. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

A pre-combiled binary, yes.

full source code including assets, difficult... if its one sale only, maybe.. bit of a gray area imo.

9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

If there is no source code then you can do whatever you like with the app. (Almost, gambling restrictions still apply).

10. Colbyh

Colbyh

Thank you for your responses.