Search Unity

[Urgent] Unity 5.1.3f1 crashing with Oculus connected

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by RFLG, Aug 25, 2015.

1. RFLG

RFLG

Hey guys,

I just updated Unity to 5.1.3 and now it is crashing whenever I try to push play on the editor or do a build. It is not a Unity crash, I get the "Unity Editor has stopped working" windows error.

What is up with this? Should I rollback to Unity 5.1.2?

2. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Try doing a clean install

3. MS80

MS80

I have tried 5.1.3f1, too! There seems to be a problem with VR, builds with this version does not work with the DK2 => no image in the rift, it seems both views are rendered in the normal viewport (one view is flipped and overlaying the other). Although I had many crashes with this version...

I use 5.1.2p3 again, which is working for fine for me! I hope it will get fixed soon...

4. RFLG

RFLG

Clean install was a dud, still crashing across the board with all the VR projects (3 of them) and even on a new, clean project with only VR support enabled.

I'm resisting the urge of letting Unity reps get a piece of my mind about this mess. Complete waist of time and production money on this update. My patience is wearing very thin with these guys...

Funny thing is that there are supposed to be a number of interesting fixes for VR on 5.1.3, it would be nice to see that actualy working :\

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  5. RFLG

RFLG

Forgot to mention Unity version, OS and hardware:

Unity 5.1.3f1 Pro, Windows 8.1 both running on:

Dual Intel Xeon E52620 V3, 64 GB DDR4 ram, GTX980 Ti, plus assorted components (SSDs and such).

Can provide windows crash log and Unity log if it helps.

6. RFLG

RFLG

No one has any ideas about on how to overcome this issue?

7. DarthDisembowel

DarthDisembowel

Same here, crash on Play, running Windows 7, DK2, Unity 5.1.3f1 Personal. Ran fine until I updated yesterday. Guess I'll roll it back to 5.1.2. I wonder if it requires the new Oculus runtime which has been delayed... and as I write this is seems as if they just released it. Will try installing the v0.7.0.0-beta first and see if playmode works in Unity with the DK2.

8. DarthDisembowel

DarthDisembowel

Nope. Installed the new Oculus runtime and tried pressing play the 5.1.3f1 editor, and it still crashes.

Ironically, I'm rushing to get a decent build to bring to the Unity conference in Boston, but between this, the lightmap baking issues, and occlusion culling issues, I don't think I'm going to make it. Has anyone entered a bug report?

PS: Before rolling everything back I tried to build my game, and I get the same crash while building.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  9. RFLG

RFLG

Aw darn it, I was hoping the new Oculus runtime fixed it :p

I haven't entered a report yet, did you? I'll go right on over and add my woes to yours! I'm also going to hit the Oculus forums and check for something over there. I'll report back any findings.

10. RFLG

RFLG

Ok, according to Oculus:

"If possible, it's recommended to use Unity 5.1.2f1 with the latest version of the Oculus Utilities." dated 27 August (yesterday). 5.1.3f1 is officialy a dud for VR until further notice :p

11. RFLG

RFLG

More info from Oculus:

"The problem is with the Oculus integration inside of Unity. It has to do with texture allocation when MSAA or linear lighting is enabled. A fix is expected in a Unity 5.1.3 patch release within 1-2 weeks."

12. Phusckidus

Phusckidus

Is there a reported problem, So we can add a vote?

13. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

I confirm.. with Unity 5.1.3f1 crash on Play and Oculus On

14. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

15. DarthDisembowel

DarthDisembowel

@Aurore : I reinstalled 5.1.3, reproed the crash and submitted a dump file. I shared it in the public issue tracker and here's the bug number...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    Aurore likes this.
  16. gapMindful

gapMindful

17. DarthDisembowel

DarthDisembowel

18. DarthDisembowel

DarthDisembowel

FYI: I just installed 5.1.3p2 (released today) and I'm able to press Play without crashing now. Build also works. And I just received an email from Unity QA confirming that the latest patch fixes this issue. :):)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    Aurore likes this.
  19. elbows

elbows

I certainly recommend at a minimum reading the latest patch release notes whenever they come out. It seems like the categories of fixes/improvements are alphabetically sorted so VR stuff can always be founds right near the end. It makes me happy to see how much development it going into VR in Unity these days :)

http://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

20. BadSeedProductions

BadSeedProductions

Close the Oculus service and try again. If it still crashes reopen and try again. Works for me.

21. mgear

mgear

22. DarthDisembowel

DarthDisembowel

Probably just haven't updated it yet; CyberReality is no doubt just swamped trying to keep the forums under control :)

I've been using 5.1.3p2 for a few days now with no crashes and no new issues so far.