Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity UI Urgent Issue - Text Turns Into Rectangles [Solved]

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Samuel411, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Samuel411

Samuel411

After playing our game for a long time (15 minutes minimum) the UI begins to change into these rectangles and loses any representation of what they were. I've attached screenshots of what happens. This only happens on the nintendo switch and the editor so far. I'm taking a guess here and saying it is a memory problem? There isn't enough memory available to render the text anymore? We only have 2 scenes, the menu scene and the play scene and spawn different stadiums as needed. We aren't using that much memory either, it never goes past 1.3gbs usage on the Switch, so I can't see how this might be a problem.

The only way this gets fixed is if you change scenes but we cannot do this as we don't know WHEN this happens. We've tried to refresh the material on all Text objects and reload the UI but the problem persists.

Using Unity 5.6.4

Has anyone experienced this issue? How did you resolve this?

This is a fairly urgent issue that needs to be resolved soon, so we'd appreciate any responses.

32_yellow_strings_square.png

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  2. Samuel411

Samuel411

Update: We fixed it. It was an issue with a memory leak and it would lead to the loss of UI and eventually texture issues and eventually a crash on the Nintendo Switch. On PC we did not notice it due to how long it would take to run out of memory. For anyone who is experiencing anything similar, check your memory and make sure it isn't constantly increasing usage.