Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Question URGENT HELP NEEDED! App keeps crashing on all devices

Discussion in 'Windows' started by bailingoh, Mar 26, 2024.

1. bailingoh

bailingoh

Hi, we are facing a problem as our app keeps crashing randomly. In our crash dump it states this:

0xC0000005
    The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.

Can we get help on how to fix this issue?

Attached Files:

2. mgear

mgear

from log:
    "reshuffle676
    Crash!!!"

so i'd check what happens in reshuffle or after it?

stacktrace:
    "0x00007FF9FEA299F1 (nvwgf2umx) NVAPI_DirectMethods
    0x00007FF9FEA28F5B (nvwgf2umx) NVAPI_DirectMethods
    0x00007FF98B119C4E (D3D12Core) D3D12GetInterface
    0x00007FF981D24AE1 (UnityPlayer) UnityMain"

using dx12? (its been quite buggy & easy to crash - at least in editor..)

3. timke

timke

Unity Technologies

I quickly look at the crash dump, and the crash occurs within the NVidia driver, but this appears to be the relevant stack from a Graphics Worker Thread:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. UnityPlayer.dll!lane_try_steal()    Unknown
    3. UnityPlayer.dll!lane_guts()    Unknown
    4. UnityPlayer.dll!ujob_wait_for(struct ujob_control_t *,struct ujob_handle_t,int)    Unknown
    5. UnityPlayer.dll!D3D12RayTracingState::WriteHitGroupShaderRecords(class D3D12CommandListWithState *,struct dynamic_array<struct D3D12RayTracingShaderTable::ShaderRecordDesc,0> const &,class D3D12RayTracingShaderTable &,class D3D12ResourceBarrierDispatcher &)    Unknown
    6. UnityPlayer.dll!D3D12RayTracingState::Transition(class D3D12CommandListWithState *,struct D3D12RayTracingState const &,class D3D12RayTracingShaderTable &,class D3D12RayTracingShaderTable &,class D3D12RayTracingShaderTable &,class D3D12RayTracingShaderTable &)    Unknown
    7. UnityPlayer.dll!GfxDeviceD3D12Base::DispatchRayTracingProgram(struct ObjectHandle<struct RayTracingProgram_Tag,void *> &,char const *,unsigned int,unsigned int,unsigned int)    Unknown
    8. UnityPlayer.dll!GfxDeviceWorker::RunCommand(class ThreadedStreamBuffer &)    Unknown
    9. UnityPlayer.dll!GfxDeviceWorker::RunExt(class ThreadedStreamBuffer &)    Unknown
    10. UnityPlayer.dll!GfxDeviceWorker::RunGfxDeviceWorker(void *)    Unknown
    11. UnityPlayer.dll!Thread::RunThreadWrapper(void *)    Unknown

This does appear to be a Unity bug with D3D12, and I found an internal ticket covering it. There isn't a public link and so here's the description:

I'm pretty sure this is the bug you're hitting.

The Player log says you're on 2022.3.3f1 and according to the ticket the bug was fixed in 2022.3.7f1.

If you can, please see if updating to the latest 2022 LTS release fixes solves the problem.

4. bugfinders

bugfinders

@timke if you are unity internal, why dont you have the badge?

5. timke

timke

Unity Technologies

I (temporarily) removed it to avoid unwanted attention.
    Also so slammed right now I can't respond to DMs or pings as would like to, and so felt better to keep a low profile during this time.

bugfinders likes this.
  6. bailingoh

bailingoh

Attached Files:

7. timke

timke

Unity Technologies

Ah nuts...I'm sorry to hear that, it certainly looked like that was the issue but maybe it's something else.

Alright, first off I recommend opening a bug for this crash.

It could also be a graphics driver bug, and so see if you can update your NVidia drivers, or check the NVidia forums about possible RayTracing issues.

As a work-around, can you disable RayTracking in your project? I don't know how your project is using it, but RayTracing seems to be the source of the crash.

I'm not a graphics dev and really can't comment more on this, but I'll ping the Graphics team and hopefully someone with more expertise can help out.

8. KYL3R

KYL3R

Hey I have that too!
    It's either accessing an address it's not allowed, or it leads to a StackOverflow at random points.

Keep us updated and if you create a BugReport, post the ID here pls.

Since you and me have this issue just recently, maybe it's an actual bug?

I'm on 2023.2.14f1, but it also occurred on 2021.3.31f1. (in 36f1 the Editor crashed due to a plugin... 31f1 contains a fix for missing Publish button in VStudio )

I use SDK 10.0.22621.0 (which we should be using according to this site, see bottom quote)

Here is a random StackOverflow happening:

And a player log, nothing useful in it if you ask me.

I also have dmp files:

This one (Pecker.exe.4724.dmp) is Access violation
    https://pecker-game.com/files/dmps/Pecker.exe.4724.zip

(1274.138c): Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)
    c0000005

And this one (Pecker.exe.4656.dmp) is StackOverflow
    https://pecker-game.com/files/dmps/Pecker.exe.4656.zip

(1230.14e8): Stack overflow - code c00000fd (first/second chance not available)
    c0000005

And I have no idea to debug that, I tried windbg and VStudio, but "newbe_xs.dll" is something in system32, I once found the pdb somewhere, but it's nothing I could have cause directly. And since the stack is full of that, I can't see any relation to my code.

I'd be really happy if Unity staff could take a look.

9. INedelcu

INedelcu

Unity Technologies

Hello @bailingoh and @KYL3R! please submit a bug report where the crash can be reproduced. As soon as we can look into it, a potential fix can be backported to your version and this can take some time.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024