Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved URGENT Help! Can't work on project anymore until this is fixed!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Plync, Apr 11, 2024.

1. Plync

Plync

My computer froze mid unity run and now I get the following errors on opening my project. I have reinstalled unity, I have deleted my entire repo and redownloaded from cloud. Still broken. I have deleted the Library folder and let it reinstall. Nothing I have tried has fixed it. Please Help !

unitybug.png

2. mgear

mgear

does it happen in other / new projects also?

3. Plync

Plync

Just tried creating a new project, no errors.

4. mgear

mgear

maybe its some broken dll in the project files/plugins?

try copying files from that broken project into new empty project,
    until something breaks?
    *oh but you did clone new project already.. so maybe not related.

could still try copying whole assets folder into that new project and see what happens

5. Plync

Plync

Yeah I completely deleted my copy and downloaded a fresh one from the cloud server. The errors came with it. Then I manually deleted the library folder assuming the error is in there somewhere. Unity re-created a new one, but that didn't fix it either. Errors still persisted. I have shut-down/restart as well just to be sure.

To make it even stranger, I tried installing on a different computer and grabbed the same copy from the cloud. No errors. So its something not tied to my game files??? Which makes no sense cause I deleted and redownloaded the latest version of unity. 2023.2.17f1

6. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Since DLLs contain executable code and reinstalling doesn't fix it, my first suspicion is antivirus blocking or removing the DLL because ... well, because Antivirus are more malware themselves.

Delete the Library folder again (because that DLL is within the Library apparently so it will be regenerated). Add an exclusion to your projects root path (all projects root or just this project) to antivirus (built-in Defender if you don't have a 3rd party antivirus). Then open the project again. If this fixes the issue please let us know and also which antivirus you were using, if any. (in my experience Bitdefender is most likely to $§$% things up).

Any other "security" software may interfere just as well.

Do check first how much free disk space you have on the project and OS drive. A minimum of 20 gigs should be free on both drives (more if they are the same drive) to allow enough space for temp files and a growing virtual memory swap file.

7. Plync

Plync

I have nothing other than default win 11 software, added exclusion to windows defender. Both my drives have 250+ gigs free. I deleted the library folder again and the errors still persist.

8. mgear

mgear

could also scan SSD for errors,
    or clear unity package cache files..

did it gave same errors, if you copy just the Assets folder into empty new project?

9. Plync

Plync

When I tell the program to ignore safe mode and load anyways... I get a few more errors. Don't know if this is of any help.
    unitybug2.png

10. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Try opening one of these DLLs in a tool that let's you inspect .NET DLLs like ILSpy. This is to confirm whether the DLL itself is in fact corrupt, or whether the error may be hiding some other error such as permissions. The project folder should have read/write permissions (not sure about execute) and inherit these to all children.

And try copying the project onto the Desktop and open it from there (delete Library first).

11. Plync

Plync

chkdsk found no issues with the drive.

12. Plync

Plync

Changed permission settings.. deleted library folder and tried again. Still the same errors.

13. Plync

Plync

Tried copying over the visualscripting dll mentioned in my last image, replacing the one in the broken folder. Still have the errors.

14. Plync

Plync

Oh thank God ! I noticed that the 2023.2.18f version of unity was just released. Upgraded the project to it. Problem is fixed !! So something is happening different with update project vs just redownloading/installing the same version.

I appreciate the attempts to help tho, cheers!

mgear likes this.