Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Urgent Email from Unity sent to Optus Australia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vertexx, Jun 8, 2022.

1. vertexx

vertexx

I just received this..

Hey Optus,
    Nice to meet you! I hope you're staying safe and healthy.
    I'm reaching out because it seems Optus' account may have some licenses that fall outside of our terms of service.
    Companies that use Unity need to license all team members on the same license tier and should use Unity Plus if earning above $100k, or Unity Pro if earning above $200k in revenue or funding.

Please let me know if you have another colleague I should reach out to regarding this matter.
    This is nothing to worry about, just a check-in to see how everything is going; I am here to support you with license management and ensure you are using the correct tier of licensing.
    If you like, we can set up a meeting to understand your use of Unity. Are you free for a call this week? If so, please let me know when would be best work for you.
    If you are aware of this and want to upgrade your users, you can purchase the licenses on our website.
    Kind regards,
    Lukas "Lukas Phuah Si Yu.

Along with this was listed lots and lots of Email addresses of folk that this Email was also sent to!!
    What is this all about...???? and is it a good idea to list the full Email addresses of everyone else?

Optus is an Australian provider. one of the most popular. What has that to do with Unity?

Is this a scam?

2. spiney199

spiney199

Definitely seems a bit weird. I have a strong feeling someone in Unity clicked something wrong and is presently having a very, very bad day.

Gekigengar likes this.
  3. Antypodish

Antypodish

If you don't know any Optus, or other name in listing, just ignore it.
    It looks like it has been sent by a mistake.

You can respond to a sender, that you received the email, which is perhaps mistakingly.

Just to clarify sender's intention.

4. vertexx

vertexx

..OK, Thanks..Thought of that.
    BUT what if this leads me to some nasty scammer site?
    Probably should contact Unity itself...Any links to a direct contact?

EDIT. Have tried this Forum too...
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/optusnet-australia-and-unity-licencing.1292553/

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I don't know about the name, maybe their database has the wrong name for you, but this is the mail they send when something in their system flags the data they harvest from your machine and related IPs as potentially doing something against their terms of service (with maybe changes to their first line, ours said something about them visiting our site and noticing we are working on a lot of cool stuff). The flag criteria are probably arbitrary and bullshit, since this has a ton false positives.

But they don't care about most of them being false positives, they figure if they send semi-threatening e-mails to everyone that was flagged, some will probably get scared into buying more licenses, which is the whole point of this. Cold calling people.

If you reply to this with, "I don't know you are talking about", they will probably tell you it was a mistake on their part and you were flagged by mistake.

If it happens to a ton of people at the same time and there is negative press, they might post to twitter about it being a mistake and it will never happen again and "apologise" and then go back to doing the exact same thing.

6. vertexx

vertexx

Yep! Just heard from a Lukas Phuah Si Yu. It was a mistake. He/she or it(?) didn't know that Optus is one of Australia's top Internet providers, (second only to Telstra.) Amazing. I guess even Unity is having trouble finding decent knowledgeable staff?
    But maybe this character, Lukas is a bot?
    Anyway now, thanks to "Lukas", I have the private details of every Australian Unity customer that uses Optus!!
    Hows that for efficiency!

Casper-Chimp and Gekigengar like this.
  7. spiney199

spiney199

They also have yours... so tit for tat I suppose?

But yeah, what a blunder.

8. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Btw, if you suspect something being a scam, the last thing you should do is to post the message unedited anywhere on the internet, ie with the links intact. That only helps the scammers (fortunately this wasn‘t a scam).

MadeFromPolygons and spiney199 like this.
  9. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

They are lucky it wasnt for EU or UK otherwise this would have infringed GDPR potentially and cost unity a hefty 4% of the current fiscal years revenue as a fine! So yeah its a really serious mistake to make all things considered.

10. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

They though everyone with an Optus domain e-mail actually worked at Optus? Ouch.

stain2319 likes this.
  11. bluescrn

bluescrn

Could have been worse. Could have been 'gmail.com'...

stain2319 likes this.
  12. neginfinity

neginfinity

... it reminds me of an accident few days ago.

A young teen tried to have his pull request accepted into epic games repository on github, and tried to notify the people involved. By tagging, I suppose.

He accidentally notified nearly 400000 people. Everybody got an email about it.

https://github.com/EpicGames/Signup/pull/24#issuecomment-1146723926

vertexx and spacefrog like this.
  13. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Annoyingly, the email was staggered out, so after I got the first few, and unsubscribed, it still continued to send notifications for all the morons that replied the the pr. I ended up with a few hundred before it stopped sending.

neginfinity likes this.
  14. neginfinity

neginfinity

Yes, I saw people complain about notifications and I saw how notifications kept coming.

I was quite surprised to find this huge pile of notifications in my email box.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  15. stain2319

stain2319

Holy cow, that's a serious amateur move. Maybe keep the interns away from the outbox.

16. pekdata

pekdata

Should have asked for pro license for everyone and to send the bill to Optus. ;) Oh well, it's too late now.

stain2319 likes this.
  17. WoopsAU

WoopsAU

i noticed these posts are from earlier this month its obvious he still has no learnt his role as we got more emails yet again this week lol or its an old email form the server resent lol .

It is obvious the guys new at UNITY just checked him out on linkdin looks like a 20 something year old kid who needs to be retrained in his roles, I had the same email sent to my personal email address @optusnet email I have had for over 20 years.

If he was at any one of the big ISP's that would be a sackable offence causing distress to customers maybe they should retrain him and keep him away from the email system personally id give him a lesser role, and make him prove him self

18. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I think it's Unity policy along the lines of "if there is a 0.25% chance someone may be breaking the EULA, spam them with passive aggressive e-mails".

I don't think it's an employee making a mistake. It happens way too often for that.

19. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Well, was it again with everyone else in CC? Because otherwise it could indeed be the regular mail of this kind actually aimed at you.. xP

MadeFromPolygons likes this.