Search Unity

Bug URGENT: Bizzare UNABLE TO OPEN ARCHIVE FILE error in iOS CCD cache

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Content Delivery' started by darashayda, Apr 4, 2022.

1. darashayda

darashayda

To CCD Staff

Definitely a memory/cache corruptions seen by different developers for quite a few years.

Prior to our migration to 2022, in 2020 our game worked perfect on iOS. Never a glitch!

2022.1.0b14 iOS and Android (the latter flawless)
    Addressables 1.19.19

In some mysterious way the game crashes or hangs on this error:

Unable to open archive file: /var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/16970A4E-D6E2-48E9-87E9-783BF194BCE8/Library/UnityCache/Shared/ebee5e50e5333e64b6e39d240fa7cd10_monoscripts/4974374f469101230c61cf482b7d8a2e/__data

Could not allocate memory: System out of memory!

Trying to allocate: 18446744072618025286B with 16 alignment. MemoryLabel: TempOverflow

Allocation happened at: Line:530 in Memory Overview ...

1. The Particle System aggravates this anomaly even worse. So we turned it off.

2. The game functions perfectly with CCD+Addressables, pease see attached screenshot from XCODE collecting data live from the game running on iOS.

3. Disconnected from XCODE with a script that reported the memory and the game was able to switch scenes in CCD buckets flawlessly 100s of times and then suddenly this crash!

4. Memory swings from 170MB to late 200sMB and nothing erratic was observed ever.

5. Q: what is MemoryLabel:TempOverflow? <---- what does TEMP stand for?

No docs from Unity on memory acronyms such as this!!!

6. The error occurs only at one particular CCD Bucket item ebee5 ... which I could give you access. Even more bizzare that item is used 100s of time before with no anomalies whatsoever! Also note that ebee5 ... is less than 208KB not 1 GB as we see the in error output from XCODE.

7. Exact same code, exact same scenes built into Android version tested for 2000 times on 100s of Android phones in multiple countries and no errors!

8. Error is not new to Unity, other instances are seen over the years:

https://answers.unity.com/questions/1263655/fatal-error-system-out-of-memory-1.html

9. No CCD errors reported in the Bucket site at CCD.

This need immediate attention of CCD staffers please.

Thank you.

Dara

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  2. SebT_Unity

SebT_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Dara,
    Hope you have been well.
    Having a look at this with our team. We will get back to you as soon as we have some more information.

3. darashayda

darashayda

I could give you access to the bucket and the source code for the project.

The iOS build is in TestFlight I could register your email to test with that build as well.

Dara

4. darashayda

darashayda

Thank you.

5. darashayda

darashayda

Any new development on this bug? We paused the Apple Store submission for now.

Thanx

Dara

6. SebT_Unity

SebT_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Dara,
    Apologies for the delayed response here.

The CCD team wasn't able to reproduce the issue and have come to the conclusion that the error isn't being generated by CCD. I am currently verifying if we could get more information from our Addressable team. I will post here with more information as it comes through.

Thank you.

7. darashayda

darashayda

Terrific!

I could send you the links to the entire project and TestFlight build?

Perhaps TestFlight would be the best and easiest. If you issue me an email , then I could add your email to the TestFlight, else there are no other ways.

Either send email to DavidS @ support or email me directly as it may suit you.

CONFIRMED that this is not a CCD bug! it is something else.

Dara

8. SebT_Unity

SebT_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Dara,

Thank you I agree please DM me your testflight build. It may help us debug this situation.
    Does the error appear right away? Please let me know the sequence to reproduce (Specific level etc)

best,
    Seb

9. darashayda

darashayda

@Unity_SebT I messaged you here, and sent you Test Flight link, but need a real email to authorize you as a tester.

You could send an email could be used for TestFlight, possibly associated to an Apple ID, not sure. Apple made this so complicated for nor reason.

Steps for crashing the app:

1. On the first screen login with any name and password, leave the group blank as is.

2. Login (consequent logins please uncheck the NEW USER? check box.

3. In Main Search scene, on the Search Game input field, enter pursuit1 (no spelling worries)

4. That goes over the net and grabs what games are available currently via a pulldown , use the pulldown to select the pursuit

5. Load the game, play or not is not important, click on the left most icon on the bottom center of the game scene to return to the Main Search menu

6. Use the Input Field on left margin of the scene and search for cars, enter scifi or off-road (all of these are coming from a single CCD bucket)

7. Repeat step #3

8. Repeat step #6

Repeat steps #7-#8 again and in about 2-5 times, the game slows to a halt. Not sure if it crashes.

Dara

SebT_Unity likes this.
  10. SebT_Unity

SebT_Unity

Unity Technologies

@darashayda Thanks for those reproduction steps.
    While speaking to team and they have asked if you could please log a ticket here.

I will follow the ticket and assign to the correct team.

Thanks again for reporting this.

11. darashayda

darashayda

Preparing the entire setup for the bug report in coming hours.

Thank you.

Dara

12. darashayda

darashayda

bug filed and thank you. Though I did not see any place to link the bug report to Addressable team.
    D