Search Unity

uRecord - Record gameplay in full HD and beyond! [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by WellFiredDevelopment, Jun 2, 2013.

1. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Actually... there is an issue in my transparent PNG above: the eyelashes transparency shader. The alpha on this shader is cutting a hole in the figure (if you look at that PNG in Ps or whatever you will see the problem). Fringe around the eyelashes....

Assuming what we all want is a way to composite our uRecordings as a layer of video, maybe there can be a way uRecord could determine whether a transparent shader is/is not occluding another object?

Thank you for looking into it!

2. hxxhui

hxxhui

Is that possible using uRecord API to record the stand alone game in runtime? Not under unity environment.

I want to record my mobile game in runtime and replay it right away. Any way uRecord could do help? The uSequence seems could create sequence by code at runtime. Could uSequence do this? How?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  3. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello,

It's not currently easy to do, but you could do it if you like. The source is documented in our website : http://www.wellfired.com/technicald...ml/class_well_fired_1_1u_record_sequence.html

It's not that difficult, It won't make the video for you, but it will output the image sequence somewhere on your device.

For reference, you will need to modify the following.

CaptureFrameRate
    UpscaleAmount
    CapturePath
    (FramesToRender or TimeToRender)

Then call the (Start/Pause/Stop)Recording methods.

We will improve on this in a future release, for sure! Since we get a lot of requests for on device recording.

- Terry

4. hxxhui

hxxhui

Thank you for quick response. Glad to hear that u will support recording on device.
    I will try manually recording on device according to your suggestion.

5. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

any update ?

6. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey guys!

Here's a cool video of uRecord capturing a full 360VR video at 4k! :)

- Terry

7. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Very powerful update

8. tpc

tpc

I bought uRecord to get the source code, but I only got source files for shared and not for urecord folder. Could you provide me with that?.

I am using the image sequence that it saves (not the video). What I need to do (at least) is to change the format of the image sequence from png to jpg and change the way that each one is named something like image0000.png instead of 0000Image.png.

Waiting for your answer.
    Thank you.

9. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello tpc!

You can't currently access the source code, but I would be more than happy to add an option to uRecord that would let you change the sequence name!

I hope this would suffice?

- Terry

KWaldt likes this.
  10. KC1302

KC1302

I followed the instructions but can barely record. Default settings, 7 frames per second.
    Am I missing something?

11. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey KC1302,

You mean that the output video is 7 frames per second?

- Terry

12. KC1302

KC1302

Forgive me. Let me clarify the situation.

When I am not recording but play-testing my level. I get around 162-170 FPS (6.3ms)
    But when I am recording and playing my level. The FPS drops from 160 down to 7 FPS.
    Extreme FPS drop, pretty much unplayable. Is there a cure for this dilemma?

Note : I have 2 cameras in the scenes. First person camera is my main camera.
    1/ Orbit Camera
    2/ First person camera
    Would 2 cameras affect the recording performance of U-record?

13. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hi KC1302,

thanks for clarifying! :)

This is actually by design, uRecord renders video in a framerate independent format, which gives the user full control of the output. Including rending at 4K and beyond, on any hardware. The only way to achieve this is to capture each individual frame directly from the graphics card, which takes time. As a result. the output video will be perfect and you have have no dropped frames.

- Terry

14. tpc

tpc

I read the below from the website of the product before purchasing:
    And also I read it from the User guide included with the free version:
    I think it is not fair. What should be my interpretation of that?

Regarding to the modification that you offered me, as the tool that I am using to do video encoding doesn't work well with png (gamma correction errors), I also need the image output to be jpg.

As I have a deadline, after read your reply, I had to work on my own solution to do the video recording, which is currently working very well. So probably I will not use your modifications.

I recommend you to edit your documentation and web site, in order to avoid another situation like this.

Kind regards.

15. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello tpc!

Thanks for your feedback, I understand your frustration and I'm sorry about the misleading advertisement material, it is old and I forgot to refresh it.

If you'd like a refund for the uRecord package, we'd be happy to offer you one, just send us an email with your receipt! :)

- Terry

16. tpc

tpc

Which is the email address?.

17. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

18. funselektor

funselektor

Hello,

I have the same problem as KC1302- the game FPS during recording is 10FPS and it's basically unusable for me. ("OK" quality settings & 1024x768) I get 60+ FPS normally. Is this normal?

19. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey Little_Gorilla,

This is indeed normal behaviour.

- Terry

20. LudiKha

LudiKha

Getting the following error:

This breaks urecord, not even a reinstall did the trick. I believe it happened when I saved a certain preset twice.

21. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey Ragoo!

Here's a little package that will help you! Please put this inside your project and execute the clean preset option (Edit/uRecord/CleanPreset) :)

Sorry about the delay.

- Terry

Attached Files:

22. LudiKha

LudiKha

That did the trick, thanks!

23. cmilr

cmilr

Is there any way to see progress on a video being rendered? Mine seems to be taking forever, and I can't tell if anything is actually happening.

24. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hi Zissou!

You should see a progress bar. I guess if there is no indication something went wrong, you've probably found a bug. Could you tell me a bit about your setup? (Unity Version, OS, etc).

If you'd prefer, you can do that over email at support@wellfired.com

- Terry

25. RedMax

RedMax

Hey,

Is it possible to render UI-Elements at high resolution if the video upscale amount is greater than 1?

Sometimes my camera should display fullscreen UI-Elements like RenderTextures.
    My editor Game-Window has a Resolution of 1920x1080.
    If I want to render a 4K Movie/Image the upscale amount has to be 2.
    But now I have the problem that the rendered UI-Elements are pixelated.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  26. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey Red Max!

This is possible, but I guess it depends on your texture atlas, you can imagine blowing up a texture atlas to 4k resolution would indeed cause visual artifacts. That may not be the problem in your case, because it shouldn't look *that* bad.

If possible, I'd like to take a look at some screenshots to confirm. I appreciate you probably don't want to post them in this forum, so if you'd rather, you can send them over to me at support@wellfired.com

- Terry

27. Recluse

Recluse

Hi, any news on recording audio? I'm working on a music-themed game!

28. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey Recluse!

It's not currently on our immediate schedule, but we've had a number of requests, so we've bumped it up our backlog!

- Terry

29. hyperrodik

hyperrodik

it doesn't work after update to 1.0.5, taking just black shots and black video... any ideas why?

30. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hiya hyperrodik!

Which version of Unity are you using?

- Terry

31. hyperrodik

hyperrodik

Heya Terry. I'm curently on 5.1.2p3

32. YOSHIDA-Shinya

YOSHIDA-Shinya

Hello,

Is there any way to change output filename of image sequence??
    I would like to edit exported image sequence with Adobe Premiere but Premiere would not recognize that those are sequence.

33. hyperrodik

hyperrodik

amazing support, just superfast...

34. thrmotta

thrmotta

Im trying to write a script to set some default config to uRecordSequence and then start to record on a checkbox press. Once the user unpress the same checkbox, it'll stop the recording and generate a video.

I got most of it already, just not the video part, where all I could get was the frame images in *.png. How can I generate the video through script?
    Also, how can I set the video format via script?

Thanks!

This is what I have so far:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using WellFired;
    5. public class uRecordPlayer : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     public int _frameRate = 60;
    8.     public int _upscaleAmount = 1;
    9.     public string _capturePath;
    10.     public bool _recordOnStart = false;
    11.     public float _timeToRender = -1.0f;
    12.     public bool _startStopRecording = false;
    15.     uRecordSequence _uRecord;
    18.     // Use this for initialization
    19.     void Start ( )
    20.     {
    21.         if( this.gameObject.GetComponent<uRecordSequence>( ) == null )
    22.             _uRecord = this.gameObject.AddComponent<uRecordSequence>( );
    23.         else
    24.             _uRecord = this.gameObject.GetComponent<uRecordSequence>( );
    25.     }
    27.     // Update is called once per frame
    28.     void Update ( )
    29.     {
    30.         if( !_uRecord.IsRecording && _startStopRecording == true )
    31.         {
    32.             Debug.Log( "Start recording!" );
    33.             _uRecord.UpscaleAmount = _upscaleAmount;
    34.             _uRecord.CapturePath = _capturePath;
    35.             _uRecord.RecordOnStart = _recordOnStart;
    36.             _uRecord.ImageFormat = "%08dImage.png";
    37.             _uRecord.CaptureFrameRate = _frameRate;
    39.             if( _timeToRender > 0 )
    40.                 _uRecord.TimeToRender = _timeToRender;
    41.             _uRecord.StartRecording( );
    42.         }
    43.         else if( _uRecord.IsRecording && _startStopRecording == false )
    44.         {
    45.             Debug.Log( "Stoping recording..." );
    46.             _uRecord.StopRecording( );
    48.         }
    49.     }
    50. }

35. Elzean

Elzean

I also have a black rendering of the video, is there a fixe for that ?

36. Elzean

Elzean

i got a fixed pic now even though stuff are moving while recording. Also the look seems low resolution and image effects not part of the render.

So best i get for moment is a 5s video of bad quality fixed picture :/

37. momo_the_monster

momo_the_monster

I've got a problem, using Unity 5.2.2p1 and uRecord 1.0.5.

I've got my project settings Default Screen Width & Height set to 2350 x 820, my game window set to 1175 x 420 with the bounds larger than the content window (so there is a border like the instructions say). When I press 'Play and Auto Record' in the uRecord window, I get pop-up error message with the title "Invalid Setup". The message below reads "You're screen height is is 420 is not divisible by 2".

Manny Calavera likes this.
  38. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

I have been testing out the free version of URecord and it is a great asset, but I do have some questions:

1) How do you auto record when pressing play? I can only find the manual start recording button in the dialog.
    2) After I stop recording does the Unity Editor need to stay in Play mode until the video has finished encoding?
    3) I cannot see any progress when the video is encoding, so I have no way of knowing how long it will take. Is this normal?
    4) Any ETA on audio and alpha channel support?

Keep up the great work on this!

39. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera

Any chance of supporting other output formats such as AVI or any other more raw format?

Feeding the png sequence into my video processing software isn't really practical (tried Premiere and Movie Maker). On the other hand, the mp4 is already too compressed. For instance, scenes like sprites flickering get 'optimized' and you don't see the effect in the output movie. Movie Maker also doesn't really like the mp4 files from URecord.. it's saying 'Error: 0x87160139' and I'm forced to close and reopen Movie Maker every few seconds of editing.

40. KC1302

KC1302

UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "D:/4 Personal Projects/Mantis_scene/Mantis_Unity/Assets/WellFired/urecord\Manual" is denied.
    System.IO.Directory.GetFileSystemEntries (System.String path, System.String searchPattern, FileAttributes mask, FileAttributes attrs) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Directory.cs:511)
    System.IO.Directory.GetDirectories (System.String path, System.String searchPattern) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Directory.cs:275)
    System.IO.Directory.GetDirectories (System.String path) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Directory.cs:270)
    System.IO.Directory.RecursiveDelete (System.String path) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Directory.cs:186)
    System.IO.Directory.RecursiveDelete (System.String path) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Directory.cs:190)
    System.IO.Directory.Delete (System.String path, Boolean recursive) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Directory.cs:205)
    WellFired.PackageInstaller.InstallationBundle.RemoveOldBundle () (at Assets/WellFiredPackageInstaller/productinstaller/Editor/InstallationBundle.cs:147)
    WellFired.PackageInstaller.UpgradeWindow.StartUpdate () (at Assets/WellFiredPackageInstaller/productinstaller/Editor/UpgradeWindow.cs:177)
    WellFired.PackageInstaller.UpgradeWindow.ProcessUpdate () (at Assets/WellFiredPackageInstaller/productinstaller/Editor/UpgradeWindow.cs:169)
    WellFired.PackageInstaller.UpgradeWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/WellFiredPackageInstaller/productinstaller/Editor/UpgradeWindow.cs:143)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:187)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:180)
    UnityEditor.HostView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:76)

I cannot update, cannot install

41. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey KC1302,

Could you check the windows permissions on those folders (D:/4 Personal Projects/Mantis_scene/Mantis_Unity/Assets/WellFired/urecord\Manual) and ensure you have read / write access?

- Terry

42. mk1978

mk1978

After downloading and importing the asset I don't see the Well Fired Development option at all in Unity Windows menu. Is there any other way to start Urecord? How the ctrl + R should work, should it activate Urecord when pressing this combination in editor view?

43. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

hello mk1978,

We've just uploaded a new build for Unity 5.3 that should fix the issue you're seeing it'll take a couple of days to pass Unity's approval process, so if you'd like it sooner, fire me an email over to support@wellfired.com and I'll manually send the build to you.

- Terry

44. mk1978

mk1978

I just got working update from the author, thanks for quick support!

Anyway, now when I record the video the video is just white screen. I tested the different output formats (MOV, MP4) but there is no change. Basically it seems that all the individual pictures recorded are just white images, image size only 21kt. Is it possible that Urecord has some problems to work with some Assets like Scion and Super Sampling SSAA that I am using currently?

45. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

There's a known incompatibility between Super Sampling SSAA and uRecord. I don't know if it was ever addressed.

46. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

It could be a problem with SSAA compatibility, i'll run some tests locally and see if I can fix / reproduce! (Sorry about that!)

- Terry

47. mk1978

mk1978

I did some quick tests. First I just deactivated Scion and SSAA from the main Camera and then I tried to record a video with Urecord. I was still experiencing the same problem.

Also, started a new clean project where I didn't import these two Assets and Urecord was working ok in this case.

I also imported SSAA and Scion separately and tested Urecord separately and together and Urecord was recording just ok. Based on these tests it seems that Urecord is recording just fine when using these Assets.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  48. mk1978

mk1978

I noticed the problem was caused by selecting Linear for Color Space setting in Project Settings / Player. After changing this to Gamma Urecord was working ok again.

49. getdat

getdat

Hello,
    I am using the free trial from the website and experiencing the menu issue the mk1978 was I think. From the Window menu there is only one Wellfired option and it opens a dialog to update. I run the updates and in one project the menu entry disappears. In a blank project is is still there, but it just shows the update dialog still. There seems to be no way to open the record window, even CTR-R.

I am new to Unity so hopefully I am not missing something obvious.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  50. sputnikbar

sputnikbar

Hi,

I've just import URecord in my project and here's what I've got in the logs...
    "Assets/WellFired/shared/Uncompiled/Runtime/Platform Specific/UnityEditor/EditorUnityEditorHelper.cs(31,44): error CS1660: Cannot convert `anonymous method' to non-delegate type `Action'"
    Is this a known issues ?

Thank you,
    L.