Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question URDF Robot

Discussion in 'Robotics' started by weber_aias, Oct 28, 2023.

1. weber_aias

weber_aias

I have imported a URDF model I exported with ROS in unity, using URDF importer. This is a project that uses MRTK 3/Hololens 2, as well as Windows.

I want to be able to scale, rotate and scale the robot during runtime. Apparently this is something that just doesn't work just by editing the scale rotation and position of the parent object. The reason being that the object is physics affected as far as I understand. Is there a solution for this?

Another issue I faced is the fact that the joints now can be moved only through forces, with them being Articulated Bodies. Before I could use the "object manipulator" script to directly set my robot joint rotation through MRTK. Now this has been rendered completely useless. I found 0 documentation about using MRTK with articulated bodies. Trying to rotate the joint with the articulated body, just resets its position, since we are not applying any forces...

The whole point of the project is to have a realistic simulation of a robot in an XR enviroment. So having a physics based model rather than a pseudo-model that is based on just transforms is much better option.