Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Urban Construction Pack - Released!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by QuantumTheory, Apr 15, 2013.

1. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Urban Construction Pack

30% OFF DURING MADNESS SALE!

Current version: 1.5
    Version 1.5 changes include new lighting for the demo scenes, normal and specular pass, and completely rewritten shaders which results in a large performance increase on mobile devices. Full changelist located here:
    http://qt-ent.com/UCP/Documentation/new-in-v1-5a/

When creating a large urban space for a game, you will eventually encounter the importance of balancing performance vs. art quality vs. variety. It's important to tackle that in the beginning since any imbalance will cost you greatly the further you get in production. You may end up reworking significant portions of the art, or throwing it all away if it's too expensive to render or just not high-quality. Things get even more tricky when developing for mobile devices. This is where the Urban Construction Kit comes in.

Art and Design Considerations:

• 5 architectural styles, each with 3-5 premade buildings.
    • Each style also includes its own large set of modular "Wings," "Caps," and "Floors." This is where you'll spend most of your time. More detail here.
    • 4 Modular Wall sets, long, short, and end caps. From free-standing to lower-level support walls. Use these for visual variety, or put them at the base of any building for lower-level access.
    • 5 different sidewalk types; 2 of which include curb and drainage to be lined up next to the...
    • Modular Road System: Single lane road to two lane busy street complete with custom shader for road lines. Short turns, long turns, T and + intersection shapes that you can also link it up to the...
    • Modular Elevated Highway System, complete with exit ramp and on ramp, long and short turns,support beams.
    • Traffic Light Event System: place traffic lights near your intersections and use the provided script to make them change naturally, or blink yellow.
    • Custom Highway Signs: signs for routes, exits, streets, all with the correct palette and font.
    • Custom-made Emissive and Non-Emissive Signs: Place these on your buildings for nice visual variety. Unity Pro users will appreciate the emissive lighting cast from the illuminated signs.
    • Traffic Signs: stop, do not enter, no right turn, fallout shelter, etc.
    • Poles, stairways, overhangs, doors, light fixtures, planters, and more.
    • Everything was made to be snapped seamlessly on a grid.
    For Performance Considerations:

• All buildings, doors, walls, and many sidewalks use a single texture and a single material, sourced at 4096x4096. Most mobile hardware supports 2048x2048 and it looks excellent.
    • All signs and street props use a single texture and single material, sourced at 1024x1024
    • As a result, for a complex scene of hundreds of draw calls, Unity Pro users will notice their scenes reduce to 30-40 draw calls. Unity Free users aren't left behind though, they can use the..
    • Custom Mesh Combine EditorScript which supports various gameobject settings, including generating lightmap uvs on combine, in-editor.
    And, as an added bonus:

• 1 photoreal 2048x2048 skybox optimized for mobile devices to 1 draw call.
    • 2 Free Quantum MetaClouds (Project link here)
    • Detailed documentation and full support.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  2. Dooskington

Dooskington

Looks very nice. Great work!

3. SevenBits

SevenBits

Incredible. One question, though: were the textures scaled down for the web player, or is the web player a WYSIWYG demonstration?

4. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Everything is 100%, except for the watermark on the big atlas texture. You can see it on walls, floors, and buildings. There is of course no watermark on the textures when you purchase the pack.

5. SevenBits

SevenBits

Awesome, I will consider purchasing this. Something like this will be useful to me.

6. gv

gv

this looks awesome.. what frame rate do you get on mobile devices ??

7. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I only own android basic, so occlusion culling and static batching won't be enabled.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  8. Mihai93

Mihai93

@QuantumTeory is possible to know how do you do the black screen and after show the text and disolve it? please

9. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

The text and black screen is done with NGUI.

Basically I have a tiny black texture scaled up to cover the entire screen. I also have the text placed in the editor, but i wrote a script that uses iTween to ramp in and out the alpha values of the text and black screen at specified times and lengths. Both the text and black texture are sprites in NGUI.

Here is the c# script. Attach this to a sprite in NGUI. You'll need to download ITween from the asset store. It's free. If you need more help, just PM me.

fadeinWaitTime - the sprite will wait until this amount of time has passed until the fade-in starts.
    fadeOutWaitTime - the sprite waill wait until this amount of time has passed until the fade-out starts.
    fadeOutTime - the sprite will fade out over this amount of time.
    fadeInTime - the sprite will fade in over this amount of time.
    alphaTarget - from 0 to 255, how visible the sprite will be when the fadeIn is done.

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    5. public class QT_NGUISpriteFadeIn : MonoBehaviour {
    7.     //public GameObject NGUISprite;
    8.     public float fadeInWaitTime= 1.5f;
    9.     public float fadeOutWaitTime=3.0f;
    10.     public float fadeOutTime=4.0f;
    11.     public float fadeInTime = 1.5f;
    12.     public float alphaTarget = 255;
    13.     private float tweenalphatarget=0f;
    14.     // Use this for initialization
    15.     void Start () {
    16.         if(fadeInWaitTime>0)
    17.             TweenAlpha.Begin(this.gameObject,0f,0); //make it invisible instantly.
    18.         if(alphaTarget>255)
    19.             alphaTarget=255;
    20.         else if (alphaTarget<0)
    21.             alphaTarget=0;
    22.         tweenalphatarget = (alphaTarget/255);
    24.     StartCoroutine(DoFade());
    25.     }    
    27.     private IEnumerator DoFade()
    28.     {
    29.         yield return new WaitForSeconds(fadeInWaitTime);//wait to fade in
    30.         TweenAlpha.Begin(this.gameObject,fadeInTime,tweenalphatarget); //fade in
    31.         yield return new WaitForSeconds(fadeOutWaitTime); //wait to fade out
    32.         if(fadeOutTime>0)
    33.             TweenAlpha.Begin(this.gameObject,fadeOutTime,0); //fade out
    34.     }
    35. }

10. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I just tried the demo with the Android Basic license on my Samsung Galaxy S2 and the framerate was 30+

11. lod3

lod3

@QT

Picked this up. Exceptional package. Already have a project in mind. Thank you!

Edited for fixes!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  12. SevenBits

SevenBits

Is the sample scene included? It looks very professionally done.

13. lod3

lod3

It's included.

14. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Hi lod3,

Thanks for the catches

1. I'll look closer at the bridges. Probably t-vertices. Witha modular approach, some t-vertices are unavoidable though. As a workaround, you could throw down a giant black plane under the world to get rid of the jiggles that show up on the ground level..
    2. I'll adjust the coplanar polygons so there is no zfighting, probably by just meeting the edges. No triangles will be added.
    3. Good suggestion on bringing the support edges in. I'll do that as well.
    4. Houses,more roads, suburban stuff? Not a bad idea. I have some high-impact, low time investment ideas yet to explore before committing to more new content. Thinking about a damaged pass on Atlas_Architecture_D for the future.
    5. I'm not too familiar with DX11 features. What would you like to see?
    6. I plan on providing ongoing support for UCP with fixes and features. I'm looking for all kinds of suggestions too. I don't believe in the typical "fire and forget" mentality that is standard with product development, be it gaming or whatnot. :) So expect things to come.
    7. Night skies are tough because of compression artifacts that happen where there are low-contrast pixels. That's why you don't see many natural night skies in games. They always look terrible, so the best approach is the "hollywood night" which is a darker blue cast. You can fiddle with the skybox color and fog in the material to get a night feel from a day sky. This should alleviate compression ugliness. I'll add this to the list of things to look into as photoreal skies are a project of mine.

Thanks for your purchase too! If you don't mind, please provide any positive feedback in the asset store.

15. gv

gv

Is the webplayer any indication of what you would get on a mobile device ?? also how different is it compared to the standard versions on mobile devices as compared to the pro versions ?

16. lod3

lod3

1. If it's a pain to fix, what about a very simple retainer? It simply follows the contours of the bridge piece (for as much as the artifacts are visible), and it could be snapped to the underside of one piece, then eye-balled on one axis to be centered between the two bridge pieces, thus hiding the issue. Works like a charm :)

2. Nice!

3. Nice!

4. I'd be very interested in that damaged textured pass...

5. Oh, I meant, so that if I want to work in a DX11 project it doesn't conflict with, what I believe to be, your shaders? When I first imported UPC it was in a DX11 project. 75% of surfaces were pitch black, including thumbnail previews.

I thought I had hours of troubleshooting ahead of me, but I went right to disabling DX11 in the player settings, and this fixed the problem. The only catch is that I can't use any other DX11 assets, if UPC shaders don't work in DX11.

6. Great to hear!

7. Thank you for the suggestions. And I'd certainly be interested in hearing what future skybox options you might have to offer. Maybe a dusk into evening, as a compromise? :)

And I plan to leave feedback as soon as I've built a simple test scene, so I can properly assess the package. And props for the great documentation on your website! That's pro.

17. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Hmm.. The DX11 issue concerns me. I didn't know that would happen. I'll have to test.

As far as the other issues: The asset store currently has a back log of items to approve, so submissions are taking longer than usual. I'd like to hold on these fixes until I get a larger change-list. Then I'll do an update. If I get a DX11 fix, I'll do submit that asap.

18. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

For the most part, yes.

Lightmap and texture compression is different on mobile devices though, so you might see some red and green patches in the darker areas of the map.That's not a problem with UCP, that's just a common texture compression issue.

Basic versions of mobile unity most notably lack postfx capability and occlusion culling,which is a big performance optimization that reduces draw calls at runtime. Both are a big difference. The webplayer has these enabled.

I'm building an Android Basic demo and will post it soon.

19. hesa2020

hesa2020

For people who like the Introduction but do not have or want NGUI
    Here a simple package i done wich do exactly the same introduction with GUIText and itween + a simple script
    It include a prefab just drop it in your scene and test it ! :D
    https://mega.co.nz/#!XgRjnYID!TVLUkhC4dsBgCcA_tzRyRjHZxOsDzob1KvUFKP1RJ4M

... now about this package ... it looks very amazing i would like to have it but unfortunatly i cannot buy them since im very very under my budget at the moment

20. lod3

lod3

No worries, friend. Bigger updates are better.

21. ersaurabh101

ersaurabh101

check pm

22. Adrenaline-Crew

Adrenaline-Crew

Need android pro help? here i am! PM me

23. lod3

lod3

@QT

-----

Coplanar polys z-fighting in mesh StyleD-Building4:

$qt-6.jpg

-----

Also, since I may run into more of these, do you mind if I keep submitting them to this thread? I can fix them on my end if need be, but I figure why not help polish UPC so that everyone benefits?

I'd already planned to dedicate a few hours to giving each asset a proper look, including the way they are intended to be used, for issues such as I've pointed out so far anyway, so if you have a ballpark on when your next update would be, I'll make sure to have a list for you beforehand.

Cheers,

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  24. SevenBits

SevenBits

I wonder if that's a Unity 4 issue as opposed to a problem with the asset itself.

25. lod3

lod3

Which issue in particular?

26. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

lod3,

Nah, I don't mind seeing the issues in the thread as long as we can remove the posts once they are fixed. I'm looking into some of these issues today.

1. Regarding the stylea-wingroof issue, is this from the demo scene? If so, just snap the wingroof to the outermost vertex of StyleA_Building3. It will make the front of the roof offset from the vertices on the top of StyleA-Wing3, but it won't be distinguishable from a player-perspective. This particular combination of assets creates that overlapping issue. Fixing it would create issues in other combinations. If you study it more and see it more frequently let me know.

2. there are three StyleD_Building4's occupying the same position. Uh, just delete two :)

3. I think I fixed the light seams on the bridges. It's a beast lightmapping atlasing issue. I did custom uvs on the bridge pieces and spread out the elements. This appears to have made clean results.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  27. lod3

lod3

@QT

Absolutely; will edit posts as issues are fixed.

-----

1. Yeah, that was the first thing I did - which works - but just figured I would bring it up in case adjusting the sides wouldn't cause issues. But as that's not the case, I will just snap to the outer vertices of the parent building. (Will edit that post).

2. No worries. Actually, there are a lot more instances of stacked props in the demo scene, but it's fine. You have a lot of assets going on there, so it's only natural. That, plus Unity should stagger objects slightly when copied, so you know for sure there's just the 1 copy.

3. Awesome! Looking forward to seeing this.

Cheers,

28. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I'd like to get rid of those stacked objects. Can you email me a list? No rush.

29. lod3

lod3

Sure, going through it now. I'll email/PM when done.

Edited for fixes!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  30. Adrenaline-Crew

Adrenaline-Crew

Way to respond lol

31. lod3

lod3

PM sent.

32. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

While fixing the cosmetic issues, I also decided to include a simple script to do object culling in Unity Free. All it does is measure a distance between the gameobject and the main camera. If it's greater than or equal to a value, the mesh stops rendering and you save X amount of drawcalls. It's perfect for small objects.

It's the same result as LOD culling in Unity Pro.

33. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Thanks lod3. I'm fixing these as we speak, as well as some other issues.

34. lod3

lod3

Awesome.

What do you think about some simple plane meshes (like your sidewalks) for making little parking lots to go next to buildings?

35. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I think that's an easy thing to do. I'll use the QT-Road shader to create the lines. It would also necessitate a sidewalk piece whose curb is flush with the ground so it can be driven over.

36. lod3

lod3

Nice!

Would you consider adding a simple grass tile fit to your grid specifications? Easy, free way to make courtyards for grass, etc.

-----

Edit:

Actually, better idea. Could you instead include blank tiles matching your grid setting with planar mapping? This way, anyone (like me!) can apply any kind of organic texture to it, such as dirt, grass, mud, etc. and stay within the modularity of UPC.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  37. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Sure! I thought you could do this with unity planes but you don't have control over the quad density or any exact dimensions.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  38. lod3

lod3

Perfect! Thank you!

39. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

To fix the shaders to work in DX11, edit each shader and simply delete the text: "vertex:vert"

40. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

UCP version 1.2 is being submitted to the store right now. Major changes in bold:

• v1.2
      • Modified webplayer demo to contain far clip slider and new camera angle. Check it out!
      • Added public Android APK demo using optimization scripts found in UCP.
      • All shaders should now be DX11 compatible.
      • Added Object Culling/DropOut script for Unity Free users. Disables rendering of mesh when gameobject is X distance from a camera the user specifies. If none, then it uses the main camera.
      • Added mobile demo scene that includes many combined meshes and uses new dropout script. Same content as the webplayer demo, but optimized for performance.
      • Added farclip slider, purchase button, and second overhead orthographic camera to demos.
      • Removed unused shaders
      • Added blank planes that are on the grid. Used for your own custom textures like grass,mud,dirt,etc, and stay within the modularity of the UCP. Found in the Meshes/Misc folder.
      • Added topside to the support beams of Bridge_7m
      • Added custom UVs to Bridge_7m and Bridge_28m. Should eliminate light seams.
      • Deleted 2 extra buildings that occupied the same transform in the demo scene.
      • Changed QT_SkyCamera’s farclip to 5
      • Fixed t-vertices in StyleE_Building3
      • Fixed coplanar triangles in Traffic-Hwysign-Support
      • Narrowed smaller support beams on bridge support
      • Removed animation component on prefab_lightcan
      • Fixed UVs on Guardrail_EndB

41. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

42. lod3

lod3

Amazing!

First, sorry for taking so long to get back to you; spent the past few days troubleshooting my way out of a Black Hole. Thankfully, I possess such skills. Anyways...

Oh, and the UPC webdemo is still the old one (cross-checked fixed pieces from your assets to confirm). Also, the demo scene in the latest version doesn't appear to be lit, however it seems to contain the fixed pieces.

Finally, before I get to the new suggestions I think you'll enjoy, wanted to let you know that I went back and edited my posts to remove everything I posted on that was fixed. The only outstanding one is this one.

(By the way, thank you for the planes matched to your grid. They're proving to be more useful than I originally planned, and it's a pleasant surprise.)

-----

New suggestions:

For example, Sidewalk1_LongA with a dip where cars would turn in would add realism for parking lots by the road, and for variety.

Could you make an additional wall piece in all 3 wall themes that has a window, similar to the motif you have with the door such as Wall-SimpleASmallDoor? I realized your wall pieces, combined with that door piece are already making good use for little shacks to breakup visibility in tight spots where buildings are too big. Just an extra one with a window would really sell the shack idea even better.

This one I'll understand if you pass, but some painted metal hand rails to go along the edges of the sidewalks (similar to the guard rails you have for the roads) would add a lot as well. My gut's saying a rusty, off-white, painted metal that's either tubular (like public bike racks), or even just polygonal (think Half-Life 2 hand rails).

That's it for now, that Black Hole isn't quite done with me yet. (My kids are totally learning how to program, I don't care what they say!)

43. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

The dark demo scenes exist because the lighting got out of sync. I need source control pretty badly.. I'm relighting and will submit the fixes soon.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will get to them soon,

44. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Version 1.3 is being uploaded to the store now. I'll post again when its live.

• Several meshes have their smoothing groups adjusted and fixed.
    • Several meshes now have custom lightmap uvs for better lighting.
    • Lighting is now synced up to the demo scenes
    • Coplanar faces on StyleD-Building4 are now fixed.

45. Mihai93

Mihai93

Hy man please can you tell me how to fix the dark scene please i need urgently i cant wait for update

46. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Simply rebake the lighting for the scene.

47. Mihai93

Mihai93

please can you try to tell me what commands i need to do i never use that light thanks

48. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Goto the light mapping tab and click on "bake scene." It will take awhile.

49. Mihai93

Mihai93

Quantum i have a question i look into documentation but i do not understand how to do it.

My meshes are all black when I drag and drop them into the demo scenes.
    The objects don’t yet have lightmapping applied. They’re using the ambient color, which is black. Adjusting it will fix the issue.

i do it i selected object and do "Bake Selected" ok all works meshes are lighting but do not have shadow why what i wrong?

50. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

It sounds like you may need to follow the Unity lightmapping quick start. Read through this. It will address your issues.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/Lightmapping.html

Make sure that objects that are supposed to be lightmapping are tagged "static." Also, make sure your lights have shadows enabled and set to "auto" or "baked only."