Search Unity

Uploading large file issue - from Rhino to Unity

Discussion in 'VR' started by Dasf1, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Dasf1

Dasf1

Hello there,
    I'm trying to import a structure created through Rhino and saved in OBJ to Unit but so far I' having big problems. The file is about 1.2 GB (saved as small in OBJ) and Unity takes a very long time importing it and sometimes crashes or does not respond anymore...
    The only way that worked till now was when I added textures to the Rhino file on KeyShot, saved it as fbx and then Unity was able to open it (still i could not see the textures, there was only the shape of the file...)

I am completely new in this field so I dont know if I'm doing things in the best way, would you then have suggestions to help me?
    I would need in the end to be able to walk a bit in front of the structure with VR to visualize it in real size...

Best Bahnhof3.10.jpg

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

First, your model is probably way too "heavy" (i.e. too many polygons) for a realtime game. I see a lot of latticework on the pavilion behind the building — if all that is done with mesh geometry (rather than transparent textures), I shudder to think how many polygons that must be!

If this is the situation you're in, I suggest backing up, and reading/watching a few tutorials on how to design and model for realtime games.

Next, FBX is the most standard format for 3D models in Unity. I'd probably stick to that if I were you. Sometimes the materials are not found/applied properly; this can usually be fixed with careful tweaking of the import settings, but you can also go through and attach them manually after import. A model like the above should have only a handful of materials: one for all the transparent bits (such as the latticework in the pavilion), one for the building, one for the pavilion floor, maybe one more for the windows. If you have a lot more materials than that, see comments above. :)

3. Dasf1

Dasf1

Hello Joe, thanks for your advices, I dont know if this makes differences from a realtime game but the model should be for a VR headset so that people can just see it through the glasses...would it still be too complicated for that?
    And opening a new rhino file but with a way bigger tolerance I now saved the file and it is 300 MB, well at least small than the other ones...
    Leaving aside the discourse of textures that is currently of secondary importance, from the Rhino 5 file I have, since I can not save in FBX with that program what would be the best method to save it in this format and try again to open it on Unity?

Thank you

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Yes, that requires extra care towards efficiency. In a desktop app, if the framerate drops to 30 or 40 fps, it's not a huge problem. But in VR, if the framerate dips below 60 (or 72 or 90, depending on the headset), it means dropped frames, which can make some users nauseous.

I'm not that familiar with Rhino, so I'm afraid I can't advise you there. Earlier you said you were able to get it into FBX via KeyShot, and then open it in Unity. Is that not a good option?

5. Dasf1

Dasf1

Okay thanks Joe,
    I finally managed to have a proper FBX actually through Rhino, didnt see that before...
    Do you maybe know if i would make texture on Keyshot, I can then export the file on Unity with them? I find that program quite easier than Unity to do that

Cheers