Search Unity

Uploading changes to prefab

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Dafu, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Dafu

Dafu

I'm creating my models in Blender. When I import them into Unity I have to manually add the texture, and sometimes rotate/scale my meshes. I'm trying to figure out how to upload my changes to the prefab. When I drag the object into my scene, make my changes, and then go to GameObject->Upload Changes to Prefab, nothing happens. When I drag a second instance of the object into the scene it doesn't have the new settings, it still has the original settings.

What could I be doing wrong?

Here is the exact list of my steps:
    - Drag blender object from Project View to Scene View
    - Change rotation from 270 (default for some reason) to 0
    - Drag texture from Project View to the mesh of the object
    - Make sure the object is selected
    - Go to GameObject->Upload Changes to Mesh
    - Drag a second instance of the same blender object from Project View to Scene View
    - Changes made to the first instance are not in the second instance, the rotation is still 270, and there is no texture assigned.

2. Marble

Marble

If you break the prefab connection anywhere in those steps (the gameObject is no longer blue in the hierarchy), you might want to try creating a new prefab from the modified object (create a prefab using the button in project view and then drag the gameObject onto it). Then you can delete the non-prefab and add the prefab, which should preserve your changes and automatically update when you edit the mesh of the texture.

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I don't think the "prefabs" automatically created for Blender meshes like that are "real" prefabs. Same thing happens here, though I've always done Create->Prefab and then drag my objects onto that (which does work as you'd expect), so I wasn't aware of that issue.

--Eric

4. Dafu

Dafu

Yup, the method of creating an empty prefab certainly works well. Thank you.