Search Unity

Question Uploaded images via Unity Publisher Portal contain assets from other developers.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nick_manstein, Nov 6, 2022.

1. nick_manstein

nick_manstein

Hi there,

I have uploaded a number of images via Unity Publisher Portal as part of the information accompanying the entire package (still pending for first approval). Some of the uploaded images and demo video also show assets from other asset developers. These assets have been used to provide my product with a certain atmosphere.

It concerns assets that I previously purchased through the Unity Asset Store. In the description of my packages I clearly stated which developers made these assets, and that they are not part of my product.

Does anyone know if I'm violating licensing rules with this?

Thanks for your answer!

Nick

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Let the approval process decide. ;)

I'd say, if those assets are not included in the package and you clearly point out which other assets were used in the video/screenshots, it should be fine. I think I saw assets on the store where they mentioned "xyz not included" and similar.

3. nick_manstein

nick_manstein

Hi CodeSmile,
    That might be the best advice. I'll just wait it out...:)

Thanks!

4. You're aspiring to be a publisher, you really should read the legal pages (ToS, EULA), they are legally binding. Your payment, ability to sell and overall legal standing depend on them.

5. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Showing images/videos of "non-included content" just for context is something you see in many assets on the store, so that should be alright.
    That said, a buyer will often expect everything they see (of course, depends on the asset type), so it's recommended to mention in the description that it's not included.

6. nick_manstein

nick_manstein

Thanks for your advice! But legal texts are quite difficult to interpret for someone who does not have English as a native language. And that's why it's helpful to hear the opinion of someone who has experience with my question.

DragonCoder likes this.
  7. nick_manstein

nick_manstein

That's what I expected. I explained in my discription what is not inclusive. Hopefully that's OK for Unity too. Nevertheless, thanks for your suggestion.

8. I know, I'm also not a native English speaker (I'm Hungarian native)., but I still think you should invest the energy if you think you want to take this publisher thing somewhat seriously. It is your best interest to know the rules and no one will give you precise answers since we are usually not lawyers here.

Antypodish likes this.
  9. Antypodish

Antypodish

It is not so much helpful at all. If you aspire to be publisher, you will need tackle most likely international law.
    For that you need right lawyer, not just random opinions.