Search Unity

Upload symbols to Cloud Diagnostics when building from command line

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Diagnostics' started by stopiccot_tds, Dec 29, 2018.

1. stopiccot_tds

stopiccot_tds

On our CI server we build iOS build by running BuildPipeline.BuildPlayer() in Editor batch mode. Turns out that Xcode project that is exported that way has empty USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN and because of that process_symbols.sh step fails to upload symbols to Unity Cloud Diagnostics. Looks like editor do not log-in into unity cloud services when running in batch mode. I've checked that by calling UnityEditor.Connect.UnityConnect.instance.GetAccessToken() in post build step and it returned empty string. Is there any way to force Unity Editor to log-in to cloud services when running in batch mode? Or maybe I can obtain upload auth token by some REST api calls in by post build steps?

2. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, symbol upload does not work in batch mode.

3. benzo-turbo

benzo-turbo

Are there any plans to make it work in the future?

4. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

We are currently working on a change to support batch mode for symbol upload. We'll be able to provide more details on what versions of Unity the change will be available in a couple of weeks.

5. maxthecat

maxthecat

Any updates on this?

6. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

We have made a change to support this in our mainline branch and we are now working on identifying which versions of Unity the change can be brought to.

7. stopiccot_tds

stopiccot_tds

I really hope this will be backported to upcoming 2018.4 LTS

8. rumaniel

rumaniel

Please inform to this thread which version applied. o_O

9. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Sorry for the delay on this. This fix will be backported up to 2018.4. You should expect it in the latest patch, 2018.4.1, as well as in 2019.1.3f1.

rumaniel likes this.
  10. stopiccot_tds

stopiccot_tds

In Unity 2019.1.3 patch notes there is a line:
    Services: Fixed symbol upload for Cloud Diagnostics not working in batch mode. (851655, 1140370)
    Can't find the same for 2018.4.1

11. ilterbilguven

ilterbilguven

After upgrading from 2018.4.0f1 to 2018.4.1f1, I can't build ios projects with jenkins, it gives "Please provide an auth token with USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN environment variable" error. With 2018.4.0f1, everything is fine.

12. fhickman

fhickman

I found that to be the case when upgrading from 2018.4.0f1 to 2018.4.1f1 as well. Adding the "-username" and "-password" options to the Unity command line arguments seemed to resolve it, however.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  13. Ziggy90

Ziggy90

I have the same issue with USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN in Unity 2019.1.3f1. I tried to follow fhickman's advice and now i am getting this error:

build 14-Jun-2019 17:00:23 [UnityConnectServicesConfig] config is NOT valid, switching to default
    error 14-Jun-2019 17:00:23 [warn] kq_init: detected broken kqueue; not using.: Undefined error: 0
    error 14-Jun-2019 17:00:23 [warn] kq_init: detected broken kqueue; not using.: Undefined error: 0

Anybody encountered that ?

14. MildaGenius2

MildaGenius2

I have the same problem in 2018.4.3f1 :(

First missing file usymtool.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Users/mmalek/tests/Repro/YlandsClassID91/Builds/iOS/DEV_mobile/Dist/Ylands/process_symbols.sh: line 8: /Users/mmalek/tests/Repro/YlandsClassID91/Builds/iOS/DEV_mobile/Dist/Ylands/usymtool: No such file or directory
    After copy missing script from Unity app (Unity.app/Contents/Tools/macosx/) and rerun xCode build I got error.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Please provide an auth token with USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN environment variable

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  15. DarekRusin

DarekRusin

Also just got bitten by this USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN bug in 2018.4.2.

@ryanc-unity any idea when the fix will be backported to the LTS branch? Is there any proper workaround while we're waiting? Thanks!

16. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @DarekRusin, I'm sorry for the late response. When using Cloud Diagnostics with -batchmode it's now required that you specify both the -username and -password arguments to avoid the USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN error message.

We are currently looking into a known issue where using the -runTests argument throws this same error on iOS even after including both -username and -password. You can track our progress on that fix here.

DarekRusin likes this.
  17. DarekRusin

DarekRusin

@ryanc-unity thanks so much! I did not now that specifying username and password is now required. Once I've added these, everything started working properly :)

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  18. Bonich

Bonich

In teamcity we fix it, by patching process_symbols.sh in xcode project.

Just change strings with usymtool on something like there:

#!/bin/sh

# process_symbols
    #
    # Copyright (c) 2015 Unity Technologies. All rights reserved.

if [ "${SYNCHRONOUS_SYMBOL_PROCESSING}" = "TRUE" ]; then

echo test

else
    nohup "$PROJECT_DIR/usymtool" -symbolPath "$DWARF_DSYM_FOLDER_PATH/$DWARF_DSYM_FILE_NAME" > /dev/null 2>&1 &
    disown
    fi

19. psydent

psydent

20. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @psydent, sure thing. usymtool is used to process symbol files from the build and upload them to the Unity Cloud Diagnostics servers. It is required if Cloud Diagnostics is enabled. If you are having an issue with it, please submit a formal bug report with reproduction steps.

21. tonic-joel

tonic-joel

I'm not sure if'll help anyone else, but when I ran the build command from command line without using batchmode I had the same error appearing in my logs even though I was logged into my account via Unity services.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Please provide an auth token with USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN environment variable
    Switching my command line to use batchmode and adding the username and password resolved the issues however (but adding just the username and password values without adding the batchmode flag still threw the error)

As an aside, is there any way for us to generate the auth token manually so we don't have to store log in details on our build server in plain text?

DarekRusin likes this.
  22. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @tonic-joel, the batchmode command line argument is required in order to be able to run Unity silently from the command line. You need to include batchmode, along with the username and password arguments, in order to build while using Cloud Services like Diagnostics, IAP, and Analytics.

There currently isn't a publicly available API for generating auth tokens. I understand being reluctant to use plain text log in details so I will pass this along to the team to see what alternatives there might be.

23. sandeepsmartest

sandeepsmartest

Im facing the issue in the version 2019.3.0f6.I've added username and password in the batch command .Im using jenkins to make ios builds.
    This is my batch command
    Code (CSharp):
    1. -quit -batchmode -serial xxxxxxxxxxxxxx -username 'yyyyy' -password 'zzzzzz' -executeMethod JenkinsBuildHelper.PerformAndroidIOSBuild
    This is error message
    Code (CSharp):
    1. bin/sh -c /Users/jenkins/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/myproj-gecywtqqtdtvjabrrtiojeiyhwwrh/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/myproj/IntermediateBuildFilesPath/Unity-iPhone.build/Release-iphoneos/UnityFramework.build/Script-52774D479664D9325892DECA.sh
    2. time="2020-07-03T13:50:48+05:30" level=warning msg="Failed to create log file at /Users/jenkins/Library/Logs/Unity/symbol_upload.log: open /Users/jenkins/Library/Logs/Unity/symbol_upload.log: no such file or directory"
    3. time="2020-07-03T13:50:48+05:30" level=fatal msg="Please provide an auth token with USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN environment variable"
    4. Command PhaseScriptExecution failed with a nonzero exit code

24. sandeepsmartest

sandeepsmartest

Its working after adding CD access to my jenkins machine user.Thank you

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  25. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

I have to ask: does the user have to have a seat license? I'd rather not provide my actual Unity ID user/pass into our CI agent, but if I can get away with just putting in a dummy CI user just for symbol upload that'd be great. Our agents already have seats by way of running on our Windows workstations already.

If not, this is quite a frustrating oversight, and is another one of those instances where Unity's licensing policy hurts paying users more than anyone else.

26. sandeepsmartest

sandeepsmartest

Hi all,
    Asper this doc we can upload libmain,libunity,libil2cpp symbols to unity cloud diagnostics. We use unity as a libraray in android. Our Build automation system(CI) was able to upload libil2cpp symbols(which gets generated from android studio gradle) automatically to unity CD. However, we could see that our libmain,libunity symbols are missing and which caused unreadle memory addresses in the crash stack trace.
    By using this EditorUserBuildSettings.androidCreateSymbols we can get the symbols of libmain,libunity, can someone confirm/help me if we can upload these symbols programatically (via CI jenkins) without manual upload to CD dashboard?? or by using above API unity uploads all(libmain,libunity and libil2cpp) symbols automatically to CD??
    Please point me in right direction.
    Thanks in advance

PatrickMZ likes this.