Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Upgrading URP from 7.3.1 to 7.5.3 messed all the custom render queues (because of 7.4.0)

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by nklethi, Mar 18, 2021.

1. nklethi

nklethi

Hi there,

From 7.4.0 release note, we can see that the 50 offset on the render queues of the materials with a priority slider got removed:
    • URP shaders that contain a priority slider now no longer have an offset of 50 by default.
    But the conversion of the materials is completely wrong, and in fact inverted the render order already in place.
    For instance, we had materials that were at 0 on the priority slider meaning a render queue at 2050 before the upgrade and went down to 2000 after. To get it short:

priority 0 = 2050 -> 2000
    Nothing wrong here. Transparent were converted the same way, also alpha clip, fine:

priority 0 = 3050 -> 3000
    priority 0 = 2500 -> 2450
    I believe you can see the pattern here, it does a magnificient -50 on the render queue. But wait, here comes the crazily stupid stuff.

We had for instance materials with a higher priority, meaning they had a lower render queue value. And some materials that had a lower priority, meaning they had a higher render queue value, this is how it is supposed to work. Like:

priority 40 = 2010
    or
    priority -20 = 2070
    They simply should have been converted like that, right ?
    priority 40 = 2010 -> 1960
    or
    priority -20 = 2070 -> 2020
    Just a simple -50. But no, they ended like that:

priority 40 = 2010 -> 2040
    and
    priority -20 = 2070 -> 1980

I don't fully understand what went through the dev team's head here.
    This completely inverted the render order we had, background stuff are now rendered first. I can't see anyone complaining about that while this is quite a big issue. Please could someone explain why and how this could be fixed ?

Git screenshot, post upgrade, to prove I'm not crazy.

Thank you, best regards,

Attached Files: