Search Unity

Question Upgrading unity and AR foundation, thousands of devices no longer supported on google play

Discussion in 'AR' started by poorya79, Mar 7, 2022.

1. poorya79

poorya79

We have an app on google play that uses AR as an integral part of it. Recently we had to update our unity and AR foundation, and when we made a new build and uploaded to google play, it now says that thousands of devices are no longer supported, because they don't support android.hardware.camera.ar anymore! (screenshots attached)

d1.png

d2.png

In my ARCore setting in player settings, I already set my to "optional" but I set the AR Core requirement to "required" because i read that if that's set to optional, then Google Play Store will not automatically install Google Play Services for AR with the app.

d3.png

More information:
    Unity version: 2020.3.20
    AR Foundation version: 4.1.9

Minimum API level: 24
    Target API Level: 30

Is there any other setting I can change to support the other devices? or is this just part of upgrading that makes some devices not be supported anymore?

2. todds_unity

todds_unity

pouria77 likes this.
  3. pouria77

pouria77

um.. so that means I'm doing everything correctly? :)

4. dradb

dradb

I'm having similar problems. Using the same SDK and NDK links, I'm getting vastly different numbers of devices supported.for different builds. I can't see what's causing it.
    My app needs AR so I select "required".

Unity version: 2020.3.32
    AR Foundation version: 4.1.9
    ARCore XR plugin Ver 4.1.9

Minimum API level: 24
    Target API Level: 30

5. andyb-unity

andyb-unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, by marking AR as required, you are limiting the pool of available devices to those which support ARCore. If you want compatibility with more devices, you can mark ARCore as optional and limit your application's features for devices which do not support AR.

pouria77 likes this.
  6. chiarapassa

chiarapassa

I use AR Foundation https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/arfoundation-samples and ARCore in unity 2021, my ar app works perfectly on deployment/preview on my samsung galaxy note 10 plus (Android 11). So I uploaded the bundle .abb (signed keystore) into google play store, everything seems to be ok with the app on playstore. The paradox is that when i download and launch the app from google play store won't work on device. it doesn't start/launch the AR camera or else (i get stuck black screen). I have no idea what it can be, because it works on my device. Thanks in advance for any tips and suggestions.
    Very best, Chiara

Attached Files:

7. andyb-unity

andyb-unity

Unity Technologies

Please file a bug: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting