Search Unity

Upgrading to 2020.3 broke lightmaps

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by JohnnyFactor, Nov 20, 2021.

1. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

I have a project that I upgraded from 2019.4 to 2020.3 and the baked lightmaps broke. It looks like the lightmap UVs are messed up but no changes were made to the project. Did something change with 2020.3? Can I get the old UVs back without rebaking everything?

2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

This is a known limitation of our current upgrade path. Unfortunately, when upgrading between major releases, chances are that your lightmaps will be corrupted, requiring you to rebake. This is something that we are planning to look into in the future. Sorry about any inconvenience.

JohnnyFactor likes this.
  3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

If you want to more reliably be able to upgrade without the UVs getting messed up, you need to generate your own lightmap UVs for each of your meshes. As a bonus you will have much nicer UVs, since Unity's generator is kinda bad, but it's a decent amount of work.

JohnnyFactor likes this.
  4. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

Good advice. This project used a ton of clipart and at some point, I just got lazy and starting hitting the 'auto uv" button. Seems like it came back to bite me.

5. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

6. pokerFace

pokerFace

Sorry for bringing up an old topic.
    Please tell me, is there a way to manually somehow transfer the settings of the light maps from the old version to the new one, so as not to re-bake again?

7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

If the lightmaps broke because of the mesh generated UVs broke, then I don't think there is an easy way. If it broke because of the atlasing, then it's more easily redeemed.

With both methods you'll be fighting against Unity though, so you might as well give up and rebake your lightmaps.