Search Unity

Bug Upgrading to 2020.2.4 - unrecognized identifier 'UnityTexture2D' in VFX Shader Graph

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by skowroshima, Feb 13, 2021.

1. skowroshima

skowroshima

Hi. In upgrading from from 2020.2.2 to 2020.2.4 - I'm now getting the following error:
    Shader error in 'Hidden/VFX/ChimneySmoke/System/Output Particle Quad': unrecognized identifier 'UnityTexture2D' at line 2313 (on d3d11)

This is in a VFGraph where I have Shader Graph Vfx setup for an output particle quad. I tried recreating the quad output node, and recreated the shader graph, and I'm still get the error. I tried revering back to 2020.2.2, and I'm still getting the error. I'm baffled. Any suggestions in how to problem solve?

In the shader it's simply a 2dTexture, and flipbook sampling.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    ddooms likes this.
  2. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi, it sounds like it might be this issue.

Did you recompile the VFX / ShaderGraph? Also, did you upgrade the VFX or ShaderGraph packages when you switched to 2020.2.4?

ddooms likes this.
  3. skowroshima

skowroshima

Yeah, I recompiled after reverting back, and it still produces code with unknown UnityTexture2D. I didn't do anything special when going to 2020.2.4. Just got the new version from the hub, and selected my project with the new version. By the time it finished loading, I had the new errors. I've not touched those shaders since before my upgrade to 2020.2.XXXX, I would have guessed they would have been rebuilt when I upgraded to SG 10 when updating from 2020.1.XXXX.

ddooms likes this.
  4. ScottJak

ScottJak

Experiencing the same issue with virtually the same series of events as exblade describe above, except moved from 2020.2.3 to 2.4 (most recently).

ddooms and Whipexx_DigitalSun like this.
  5. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Yes, it's a valid issue. Please feel free to upvote the case and stay tuned for a fix :)

ddooms and skowroshima like this.
  6. ScottJak

ScottJak

Upvoted, thanks. My workaround for the moment is getting rid of a Output Particle Octagon node.

7. Tioboon

Tioboon

You changed the reference name of this variable, delete and create again, it will work.