Search Unity

Bug Upgrading to 2019.3 results in all MeshColliders requiring readable on mesh

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by nsxdavid, Sep 12, 2019.

1. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

Moving from 2019.2 to .3 is a lot more difficult than I'd imagine for a point release. But I've worked through most of the issues. The last big one remaining is that every single MeshCollider in the project is reporting this sort of error:

This MeshCollider (GameObject: 'Bridge_Support_Sm (11)' Mesh: 'Bridge_Support_Sm') requires the mesh to be marked as readable in order to be usable with the given transform.

That's thousands of MeshColliders. :( I presume this is a bug, as the only remotely relevant mention in the release notes is:

- a new Physics.BakeMesh() function to pre-cook meshes for MeshCollider (including off the main thread)

(in the context of the PhysX 4.1 Upgrade)

In my case this is thousands of meshes. Clearly we don't want to have these in main memory if we don't need too, so read/write is quite sub-optimal.

Is this a bug? A new requirement? A new requirement that is ill-considered?

2. julian-moschuering

julian-moschuering

There is a new 'Generate Colliders' option in the model importer settings. I expect that to do the trick.

3. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

I'm not sure I follow. "Generator Colliders" is not a new option. And, from what I can tell, all it does is add a MeshCollider automatically. The problem is that the MeshCollider is throwing errors about requiring the Mesh itself to be Read/Write enabled. All of them.

4. CDF

CDF

Do any of these conditions apply?
    I experienced something similar, but turns out the previous Editor version (can't remember now) just didn't warn me about any of these issues. I assume that now, the Editor correctly notifies you.

5. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

No, none of them apply. It's not just the the case of improved warnings.... the colliders do not function when they did before. You can walk through objects. In 2019.2.5f1 (and anything else for that matter), this did not happen.

6. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

7. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

It looks like resetting the MeshCollider fixes it (but you have to potentially re-set the convex checkbox). But it's a large number of assets, and it's been a pain.

Definitely a bug in the upgrade process.

hippocoder likes this.
  8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Yeah same here, thankfully the impact was small. We often add objects with convex colliders as children then just break them off the parent when they need to go dynamic.

9. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

I think I've just received a fogbugz case on that, weird it happened - as I happen to have a runtime test for exactly this issue (a bug in a test, who could have imagined, ouch). There will be a fix rolled out soon. anthony

LeonhardP likes this.
  10. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

Yay! Thank you. :)