Search Unity

Question Upgrading the Unity Ads (2.1.1?) in Unity 2017.4.40f1 - is it possible?

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by villeHelin, Aug 25, 2022.

1. villeHelin

villeHelin

One of my projects is stuck at Unity 2017 for various reasons, 2018 deprecated things I was using etc., so I really cannot upgrade.

I looked at the Unity Dashboard and see that the page reports the game is using Unity Ads 2.1.1 - I think this the version for the built-in Unity ads enabled via Services panel.

It seems that the latest Unity Ads version is something like 4.2+, and I'm wondering if I could somehow upgrade the built-in Unity Ads 2.1.1 in Unity 2017.4.40f1. I just couldn't find any update packages or any help, only a short discussion about someone using Unity Ads 3.6.0 with Unity 2017 and wondering if an upgrade to 3.7 was available. That's how I understood the discussion.

Ideas how to upgrade?

The reason I want to upgrade is this email I got from Google (Play):

upload_2022-8-25_23-28-36.png

I found this discussion about the topic:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/adm...-advertising-id-problem-for-kid-game.1279409/

If I understood that correctly, the following code might solve this issue:

MetaData metaData = new MetaData("privacy");
    metaData.Set("mode", "app"); // This app is directed at children; no users will receive personalized ads. Advertisement.SetMetaData(metaData);

Unity 2017.4.40f1 does take that code without any errors, but I'm just wondering if it'll work as Unity Ads 2.1.1 is pretty old...

2. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@villeHelin Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to use Unity Ads in Unity 2017.4.

Unity Ads 4.0.1 is the minimum version allowed into the Google Play Store. That version is not available in Unity 2017.4. I tried a couple different workaround to import a newer Ads SDK into that version of Unity, but none of them worked.

Basically, the Ads SDK has dependencies on tech that isn't in 2017.4, so the package won't work in that version.

villeHelin likes this.
  3. villeHelin

villeHelin

Thank you for letting me know! Well, then I'll just have to remove ads from my Unity 2017 project. Not a huge issue, though...