Search Unity

Upgrading Google Cardboard/VR SDK

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Ibzy, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Ibzy

Ibzy

I started building my Google Cardboard project in Unity a while back and have just downloaded the new Google VR SDK.

Does anybody have any experience with this transition? Do's and Don't's, how to make the least things break etc? Or is it a straight forward import that just "works"?

Cheers

2. Selzier

Selzier

I am going to make a video soon about upgrading, it's not too difficult. Google has some upgrade instructions here:
    https://developers.google.com/vr/unity/release-notes#google_vr_sdk_for_unity_v085

Upgrade Instructions
    • Open a scene that does not use any Google VR functionality. One way to do this is to save your work and create a new, temporary scene.
    • In the Projects panel, delete the GoogleVR and Plugins directories in the Assets folder.
    • Import the Google VR SDK for Unity version 0.85 Unity package.
    If migrating an existing Google VR project:

• Delete the GvrMain prefab.
    • Add a Camera to the scene, e.g. under GameObject > Camera.
    • Select the new Camera. In the Inspector panel, find the Tag drop-down selection at the top and set it toMainCamera.
    • Confirm that the camera has the following default components:
      • Flare Layer
      • GUI Layer
      • Audio Listener
    • Add the GvrViewerMain prefab to the scene, found in Assets/GoogleVR/Prefabs.
    If using the default gaze-based reticle:

• Add the GvrReticle prefab as a child object to the Camera, found under Assets/GoogleVR/Prefabs/UI.
    • If using the GazeInputModule system:
      • Add a Physics Raycaster component to the Camera.
      • Adjust the Event Mask as needed for your scene. The sample scenes use the following settings: Default, TransparentFX, Water
    • If using the GvrGaze script, attach it to the Camera.

Ibzy likes this.