Search Unity

Upgrading from 2018.2 to 2018.3 - all prefabs are "missing"

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by mrCharli3, Apr 19, 2019.

1. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

Just tried upgrading my Unity project from 2018.2 to 2018.3, when I load my project now all prefabs are missing and nothing works. Where do I even begin to fix this?

2. konsic

konsic

I had to rework prefabs because of new prefab workflow.

3. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

Can you explain what you mean by "rework"?. I think Ill just stay at 18.2 for this project since I'm almost done, but still would like to know :)

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Even if you stay at 2018.2, I would appreciate if you could submit a bug-report for this issue, as described in this document:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

If you have a project where this issue can be reproduced with, you can save many people quite some headache who would run into the same issue, by reporting the problem and enabling/allowing Unity Technologies to fix it.

It's important that you report these issues together with a reproduction project if you want them to get fixed. If you don't do it, it might be a long time until someone else reports them or until Unity Technologies find them.

5. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

Right now Im stuck trying to recover my 18.2 project that I backed up using collaborate before updating. Just spent an hourd downloading it and then it failed. So now Im stuck not being able to open a project Ive put 1000s of hours into... So Ill deal with taht first... Dont think Ill use Unity Collaborate after this project, so unreliable.

6. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I ran into the same problem when upgrading an existing project from Unity 2018.2.20f1 to Unity 2018.3.14f1. Unity's upgrade process breaks all of the prefabs in the scene and fills them with missing references.

Fortunately, I have excellent backups, so I was able to revert back to my project in 2018.2. However, I cannot do that forever, since there are some bugfixes that are only available in 2018.3 and 2019.1. Unity has stopped supporting 2018.2, so certain bugs in that branch will not get fixes. To get those bugfixes, I have to move to 2018.3 or 2019.1. For example, there are some VR bugs that fall into this category.

I am really surprised by these prefab issues. I understand that 2018.3 changed the prefab workflow. I get that. However, I expect Unity's upgrader to be able to convert a working 2018.2 project to 2018.3 without breaking every prefab in the scene. I waited a while to give Unity a chance to shake some bugs out. At this point, I tried using 2018.3.14. Unity had alphas, betas, and now 14 additional releases. That should have been plenty of time to get the new prefabs working right and get the project upgrader code working right.

I am expecting too much? I am doing something wrong? Or is Unity 2018.3 really this buggy?

---

UPDATE: I did manage to figure out why there were missing prefab references in my project after upgrading. It was caused by compiler problems related to package manager. Here is a link to my thread about that.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-2018-3-upgrade-destroys-all-prefab-references-in-scene.672904/

Last edited: May 6, 2019