Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrading a project should not require two Unity installations.

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Torgie, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Torgie

Torgie

Presently, it is impossible to upgrade a project with only one version of Unity installed.

To illustrate the point, I made a project in Unity 2019.2.6f1. I then uninstalled that version of unity and, wanting to upgrade my project like a prudent developer, I installed 2019.2.8f1.

Lovely idea, except now I'm stuck with absolutely no way of upgrading my project. The "Unity Version" dropdown is just text, and even though it seems to be displaying the desired version, it is impossible to open within the Unity Hub:

"Ah yes!", I realized, "What I was missing was a fresh hot installation of literally any other version of Unity". Once I installed an arbitrary version, in this case 2017.1.5f1, I am now able to upgrade my project successfully to 2019.2.8f1:

I can then delete 2017.1.5f1, as its only purpose was to make a dropdown appear.

I should be able to upgrade my project to a newer version of Unity, even if that's the only version installed.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  2. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Torgie,

We did spot that use case! It's a regression that happened when we attempted to streamline the user experience for users with only one version of Unity installed. It was fixed recently and you can expect to see the changes in the next release. Thanks for posting on the forums and have a lovely day!

Cheers,

Torgie likes this.
  3. Torgie

Torgie

You know, I felt like it was an intermittent issue! I don't track Unity Hub versions as closely as Unity itself. Thank you for the update, and I'm looking forward to the release!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  4. vildauget

vildauget

I bumped into this issue just now. Found a workaround though, as I didn't want to re-install an old version. Re-adding the same project folder will allow the upgrade.

I like to keep my Unity updated, but for some reason I always end up with some kind of problem in the Unity Hub trying to open my projects.

5. Torgie

Torgie

Bumping this once more! The issue does appear to be resolved in Unity Hub 2.1.3.

6. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Torgie,

It is now fixed in 2.1.3. You should see "Select a version" instead of an editor version when your only available editor doesn't match the one for your project. You can either click on the project and choose to download the project's version or to select your only editor and upgrade/downgrade your project.

Best,