Search Unity

Upgraded to Unity 2017.3 and lost all Cameras from Timeline view

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by anilo, Jan 11, 2018.

1. anilo

anilo

I lost my Cameras completely from my Timeline scenes after I upgraded to 2017.3

Any suggestions how I can import them again.
    Here are my steps:-

I upgraded to 2017.3 and imported my project into it.
    Then my cameras did not work, even though the Timeline scenes work with audio and animations.
    I can see that I currently have Cinemachine 2.0 was already included in my project.
    I deleted the Cinemachine 2.0 old version from my project.

Then I imported the CineMachine new package into my Unity environment. Dec 2, 2017 [ Version 2.1.10 ]

Still same problem. Timeline scene works, but the camera movement is all gone.

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately you have tripped over a bug in Timeline, which can cause custom tracks (e.g. Cinemachine tracks) to be lost if the project is saved while there are script errors in the custom track assembly. You can get the tracks back by restoring a backup of the Timeline asset. I hope you made one before upgrading.

This bug has been fixed, and the fix will be included in the next release of Unity.

username132323232 likes this.
  3. anilo

anilo

I keep pushing my code to my repository so I'm sure I have a backup of every step.
    While I was on 207.1 and then 2017.2

Can you tell me exactly how I should backup/restore my project?

4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

The Timeline asset that contains the tracks just needs to be copied back into your scene, replacing the existing one that's broken. Might be a good idea to do it while Unity is not running, just to be sure nothing happens to the metafiles. As always, do a backup first :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  5. anilo

anilo

I copied it.
    It works but the timing is not as I had set it up earlier. It's off by a few seconds, so I have to redo everything again.

6. SpiralConDave

SpiralConDave

Similar problem, let me know if it's been seen/addressed, I'm on Unity 2017.2.1p2, but Audio tracks. Specfically, I have an audio track, I duplicate it, change some clips, mute one of the tracks (let's say I have two alternate audio tracks, and I mute one or the other depending on what I want built). I'm not sure if I have to close/open Unity, but along the line, the TimelineClip loses its assets (.asset = null), as such the Inspector does not show the audio properties for the clip. VERY ANNOYING

7. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @SpiralConDave - that sounds like a separate timeline issue, but it does not familiar. Can you submit a bug with repro steps?

The issue with timeline removing Cinemachine tracks on upgrade will be fixed in a soon to be released patch (2017.3.0p4, 2017.2.1p4).

8. SpiralConDave

SpiralConDave

I'll try to repro it on a smaller version of my project

9. SpiralConDave

SpiralConDave

Well I haven't minimized a project for you, but here's how to make it happen:
    1. Make a timeline
    2. Add an audio track
    3. Add clip(s) to audio track.
    4. Duplicate audio track
    5. Change the clips (or not)
    6. Save scene
    7. Exit Unity/Restart Unity
    8. Find your Timeline, click on the clips in the duplicated track, note that audio clip property is no longer available.

While getting to this, I also notices that sometimes the track name is not remembered. I'm not sure if it's a bug writing it to disk, or reading it from disk.

The work-around for this bug is DO NOT DUPLICATE a track. Well, you can, but don't rely on the duplicated audio clips to be there. Make a whole new audio track, or delete the duplicates, and re-add them as needed. This seems to allow them to persist properly.

I hope this provides some clues to Unity Tech!