Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Upgraded project and Visual Studio does not like it

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by Abended, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Abended

Abended

I have a project that is in 2019.3.15f1, I made a copy and I upgraded my project to 2019.4.8f1. After being sure that the engine didn't have any big issues. I started in on new work. Pulling up visual studio was painfully slow. It sat there saying (Not Responding) and eventually would open the script after far longer than I initially would wait. Once the project is open, editing a script seems like it's on a delay. After googling around for a day or so, I came to the conclusion that it was just me, there are no issues that I could find relating to my visual studio issue.
    Today I remembered that I had the backup, and I should see if there is a difference. When opening a script from the old engine, it pops right open, and typing is in real-time. I can see them side by side that visual studio does not like the project from the newer engine. I tried to rebuild the solution from within visual studio, but it made no difference.

upload_2020-8-26_17-31-53.png

2. Abended

Abended

Update here. I have finally tracked this down. It's VS's fault as far as I can tell. Making a copy of my project and running it from the copied folder, there is no lag or slowness in VS. I ended up just moving the game to a different folder, which was enough for VS to believe it is in fact a different project, and it loads quite quickly. I attribute this to some sort of cache that was built somewhere in the bowels of VS's file structure that I am not interested in tracking down. This is the dumbest reason to have such painful scripting issues. I'm glad I didn't rollback my code over a month to try to fix it that way. An issue for sure, but I don't think this is unity's fault.